Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2020 5:10:13 PM EDT
I'm thinking about getting a 50 now that I actually have a place to shoot decent distances. I'm contemplating a M82A1, what is better? Is there a bolt gun who's accuracy justifies itself over a Barrett? What are your guys thoughts?
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 5:14:42 PM EDT
[#1]
The price difference is pretty huge.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 5:26:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm thinking about getting a 50 now that I actually have a place to shoot decent distances. I'm contemplating a M82A1, what is better? Is there a bolt gun who's accuracy justifies itself over a Barrett? What are your guys thoughts?
View Quote
Nope! M82A1 is, IMO, the best value fifty cal. Bushmaster BM50 and the B/A Barretts are certainly solid alternatives if $6500 is just too much for a rifle but the M82 will be the one you don't regret overpaying for or wishing you'd gone just a bit more (relatively). It's comfortable to shoot - even for newbies, accurate enough to enjoy, and totally fills that exotic role. Not as exotic as say the M107A1 or GM6 Lynx but it's also not a half-inch barrel bolted to pistol grip

All the bolt guns should outperform the semi-auto fifties on the precision front. I believe all the semi's are recoil operated except the Serbu and shit we can't get like the AS50 which means the barrel has a little room to move. I haven't shot a Serbu semi and M95 side by side - it's possible the Serbu semi keeps up! My M82 stays on a 12" plate at 300 yards with surplus ammo, which I'm happy with, so it's not precision by any means but I wouldn't trade that for just how damn easy it is to shoot and enjoy.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 5:35:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 5:56:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nope! M82A1 is, IMO, the best value fifty cal. Bushmaster BM50 and the B/A Barretts are certainly solid alternatives if $6500 is just too much for a rifle but the M82 will be the one you don't regret overpaying for or wishing you'd gone just a bit more (relatively). It's comfortable to shoot - even for newbies, accurate enough to enjoy, and totally fills that exotic role. Not as exotic as say the M107A1 or GM6 Lynx but it's also not a half-inch barrel bolted to pistol grip

All the bolt guns should outperform the semi-auto fifties on the precision front. I believe all the semi's are recoil operated except the Serbu and shit we can't get like the AS50 which means the barrel has a little room to move. I haven't shot a Serbu semi and M95 side by side - it's possible the Serbu semi keeps up! My M82 stays on a 12" plate at 300 yards with surplus ammo, which I'm happy with, so it's not precision by any means but I wouldn't trade that for just how damn easy it is to shoot and enjoy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds about what I was thinking. For me the accuracy increase in a M95 or Steyr would have to be pretty big to justify the relatively small difference in price between them and the m82.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 11:52:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I picked up an M82 about 9 months ago.  I threw on my Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50 and it's been great.  Bought a case of PMC 50BMG and have no regrets.  It's a head turner for sure.  I wanted the M107 but just couldn't bring myself to spend 5 figures instead of 4.  If you've got the funds for the M82, go ahead and pull the trigger... pun intended!
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 10:25:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I picked up an M82 about 9 months ago.  I threw on my Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50 and it's been great.  Bought a case of PMC 50BMG and have no regrets.  It's a head turner for sure.  I wanted the M107 but just couldn't bring myself to spend 5 figures instead of 4.  If you've got the funds for the M82, go ahead and pull the trigger... pun intended!
View Quote
Agreed!.. the only reason to get the M107A1 is if you also want to get the 50BMG suppressor but, once you're looking at a $13,000+ tab, the GM6 Lynx would be way cooler for the money

Link Posted: 3/21/2020 10:18:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok guys, what about the Desert Tech HTI? it seems pretty damn sexy too.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 7:27:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I went with the M82A1 for several reasons.  First and foremost is the M82 is an iconic US military rifle, all American and proven on the battlefield.  The M82 is a symbol of American greatness and might.  It's also one of the few firearms you can get that is virtually identical to the ones currently issued to our troops.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 7:31:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Agreed!.. the only reason to get the M107A1 is if you also want to get the 50BMG suppressor but, once you're looking at a $13,000+ tab, the GM6 Lynx would be way cooler for the money
View Quote
You can add Barrett's suppressor to the bolt actions too.  ;)
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 2:09:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought about a 107 myself but the only real advantage to me is the suppressor capability.  In the end I do not like the idea of the upper receiver on the M107 being aluminum.  I just prefer all steel firearms when available.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 3:48:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I think a 99 is probably the best all around gun. 82's are a lot of fun and more than accurate for what most people end up using these guns for. Buy what you want.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 12:43:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Ok, 82a1 it is. Best price I'm finding is $6810 shipped no tax or cc fees, anyone seeing better?
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 12:57:59 PM EDT
[#13]
That's the best I've seen within the last couple years. I doubt you'll find better, don't wait long.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 1:08:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I picked one up this winter used. I got a bunch of extras with it. Soft case and the Pelican, extra mags and a bunch of ammo. Barrett, federal and LC.

Link Posted: 3/30/2020 3:38:44 PM EDT
[#15]
I work for the distributor that sells the majority of the Barrett 82's to dealers.  There are a lot of people right now thinking they need to add a 50 to the arsenal.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 4:18:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I work for the distributor that sells the majority of the Barrett 82's to dealers.  There are a lot of people right now thinking they need to add a 50 to the arsenal.
View Quote

Even 50 BMG is being hoarded on the ammo front, too! Going OOS real fast when it comes back.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 4:50:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Even 50 BMG is being hoarded on the ammo front, too! Going OOS real fast when it comes back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There’s very rarely a ton of it in the pipe so even a small run wipes it out quick. I still not regret buying a couple grands worth when PSA had it cheap.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 6:01:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Ok, 82a1 it is. Best price I'm finding is $6810 shipped no tax or cc fees, anyone seeing better?
View Quote

I could only beat that if you paid shipping.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 6:42:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Welp, I FOed.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 11:50:07 PM EDT
[#20]
It's only money.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 11:57:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Very jealous OP. Someday I will have a .50. But right now a house is my first priority. Have fun with it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 8:10:06 AM EDT
[#22]
I just saw this add posted for anyone who wants an 82.   seems like a good deal.

Link Posted: 4/3/2020 11:51:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I just saw this add posted for anyone who wants an 82.   seems like a good deal.

View Quote

That’s a pretty old gun.  I don’t think they’ve had that scope rail for 10 years or maybe longer. For me personally that would be a $5k or less gun.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 12:05:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That’s a pretty old gun.  I don’t think they’ve had that scope rail for 10 years or maybe longer. For me personally that would be a $5k or less gun.
View Quote

Agree 100%
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 1:06:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Agree 100%
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree 100%

I would also be concerned by at least a few inaccuracies in the message. This is either something that is being sold someone who doesn't know what they're selling and could be a risky steal of a lifetime or someone drafting a shit sandwich ripoff.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 1:25:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I would also be concerned by at least a few inaccuracies in the message. This is either something that is being sold someone who doesn't know what they're selling and could be a risky steal of a lifetime or someone drafting a shit sandwich ripoff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree 100%

What inaccuracies are you seeing? His prices seem to be high but other than that seems mostly right. It does come off as scammy when I read it the first time.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 4:32:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

What inaccuracies are you seeing? His prices seem to be high but other than that seems mostly right. It does come off as scammy when I read it the first time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

an extra Barrett magazine ($250)

$140 retail or $160 direct from Barrett

40 rounds of Barrett ammo which cost $9 a round ($360)

$6-7 a round for Barrett, less than half that for any other suitable 50 BMG

This is the same model rifle that is used by our Navy Seals, Marines and Army as a sniper rifle. Its extremely accurate...

Not in the last decade+, no, and hell no.

It has been fired exactly 10 times.

20+ year old M82 pic:

Then the pic and fired 10 times part concerns me. Is it an accurate pic of his 20+ year old rifle that's been sitting in a safe and only seen 10 rounds? Or is that just a random result from Google that doesn't reflect his newer rifle?

I'm not trying to be an overly pedantic snob here even though that's exactly what I'm doing at this point. I would just expect something a little more thoughtful from someone asking for $6,000 cash or money order and be very wary of sending this guy a single cent.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 4:57:23 PM EDT
[#28]
The prices being off doesn't phase me as much since some people pay a fortune for this stuff and have no idea what a good deal is.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 7:09:33 PM EDT
[#29]
WarthogA5, PM sent.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 8:23:08 PM EDT
[#30]
I've been looking at them for the past few months as well. It's been tough finding ranges around me that allow them however I have access to a farm. I know I could get the .416 cal and shoot it at a lot more places but there's just something about having a .50. Please post pics of yours after you get it, it will probably cause me to FO
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 8:37:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I've been looking at them for the past few months as well. It's been tough finding ranges around me that allow them however I have access to a farm. I know I could get the .416 cal and shoot it at a lot more places but there's just something about having a .50. Please post pics of yours after you get it, it will probably cause me to FO
View Quote

Be careful buying the 416 to get around range rules because once they saw it they would probably just add it to the ban list.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 9:47:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Be careful buying the 416 to get around range rules because once they saw it they would probably just add it to the ban list.
View Quote

True, was leaning towards the 50 anyways. Ammo is also easier to find.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 10:36:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

easier to find and usually cheaper.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top