Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2018 1:14:39 AM EDT
I need to build a barrel vice. Does anyone have a set of plans or a print they would share?
Thank you for any help
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 1:18:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I have used the magpul one. Mainly cause it was a cheaper than the Geissele reaction rod. And there is one in between the price range that is pretty much the Geissele yet half the cost. I got the Magpul cause that was what I could find local at that time.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 2:47:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Are you wanting to build a clamping barrel vise block?  If so, they are easy, I have a couple of sets around here, I made with hardwood and lined the groove with leather, if you have the tools, you can do the same thing with aluminum, go to Google and search for barrel blocks and look at the images, they are pretty easy to make.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 12:33:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, they are easy to make.  I like the Brownells style, of two parts of 1.5" thick steel 3" wide with 4 large fine thread allen bolts.

They need to be beefier.  I don't think there is such a thing as too much clamping force.  I reef down on those bolts with a cheater bar on my allen wrench.

I bolt that barrel vice to a 4x4 clamped to something solid, like the web between my lathe ways, or my Bridgeport bed.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 7:25:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Ya I am looking at the brownells style. Probably what I will do and make the aluminum bushings. It will be a fun project for class anyway. And I need it for this 03a3
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 8:41:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I am also looking for a barrel vice and am wondering if the "Soft Jaws" sold by Brownells will work just as well.

I have a Bev Block but have read differing opinions on whether its the right choice for flash hider removal/installation.

TX.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 7:54:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I made a 2-piece clamping style that bolts to my mill table. Recessed 1/2-20 (NF) bolts stick up for the clamping and the vice itself holds the heads of those bolts from turning. The vice itself is made from 1" X 1.5" 4140 bar stock.

I made the hole through the vice 1.475 so I can use 1.5" AL stock, turned on the lathe to make bushings to clamp on different sizes/profiles of barrels.

I make my bushings with the OD & ID slightly oversize (.005") so the bushing doesn't scratch the barrel when being squished down. The bushing, when sitting loosely on the barrel only contacts at the top and bottom, the pressure from the vise forces the bushing to wrap tightly around the sides of the barrel. IE, during the clamping process there is no sliding/shearing movement between the bushings and barrel, only a compressing movement. It has served me quite well. This does cause a very small sliding/shearing movement between the bushing and vice but with AL bushings and 4140 steel vice, the bushings are the only concern and they're a "consumable" in my mind.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 4:18:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I make jaws for my bench vice.

The only other thing I have is for swapping barrels at the range for my live varmint rifle based on a Panda action.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 9:24:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys. I started in on it today. Hope to work on it some more tomorrow.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top