Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2018 5:53:58 PM EDT
Looking for some info if anybody has done this as diy project and if it's even doable altogether. Pic' s , results and any info on best products to use would be great.

Barrel I'm looking to treat would be SS already bead blasted. Would like it to be a matte black if possible but if not really doable oh well.

I have done some researching and it seems like it could be done. Just looking for some up-to-date feed back if anybody has done this.
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 6:16:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I painted a Satin finish SS BA barrel with BBQ pit black paint.
Minimal prep with autozone brake parts clener.
Then did a basic craptastic rattlecan camo job and it has been beat around a good bit and has held up considerably better
than I ever expected.
Important to note, I'm not into safe queen looking ARs. As long as it isn't solid black or shiny I'm happy.
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 6:32:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I painted a Satin finish SS BA barrel with BBQ pit black paint.
Minimal prep with autozone brake parts clener.
Then did a basic craptastic rattlecan camo job and it has been beat around a good bit and has held up considerably better
than I ever expected.
Important to note, I'm not into safe queen looking ARs. As long as it isn't solid black or shiny I'm happy.
View Quote
Thanks for your input. This is also a BA I'd like to treat. Just not liking the plain SS look. It's not going to be a safe queen by any stretch, just would rather have it black.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 8:48:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I used Brownells Aluma-hyde and it has worked out well, seems to be pretty tough for a shake-n-spray.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 3:43:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I used DuraHeat for coating two barrels,  no noticeable wear I  either after several years and hundreds of rounds,  many of them suppressed.  Mine was FDE.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top