Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2021 9:19:47 PM EDT
After reading seemingly endless posts and threads on the subject and talking about it with my family, we have basically narrowed things down to just buying hand-held radios for now and not getting into the Comtac Vs yet (but hopefully will in the future). So, I think this is where we are at and I hope knowledgeable people can chime in and let me know if I'm close to the mark or not:

1. Radios: Since the three houses on the farm are about 1/2 - 3/4 mile apart, we will be going with hand-held Baofeng BF-F8HP radios. I will also buy a GMRS license and since it's all family members, that makes it legit for all of us.

2. Antennas: I know these Baofengs come with antennas, but some have suggested buying upgraded antennas for the hand-held radios. Yes/no? If so, which ones are recommended?

3. Battery packs: It was suggested by @PFran42 in his big Baofeng thread that buying a large additional battery pack was desirable. Others also mentioned buying a battery pack that used AAs was a good idea, too. We are open to both suggestions.

4. Battery chargers: We need four radios (two for my house, one for my parents, one for my brother) and three chargers. Are the available chargers "smart" chargers that don't overcharge or overheat the rechargeable battery packs?

5. Radio pouches: PFran42's thread had many suggestions, so I think we're good on this subject.

Anyway, please let me know if I'm missing something or am off base with any of the listed info above. Thanks again in advance.

WG
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 10:05:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
After reading seemingly endless posts and threads on the subject and talking about it with my family, we have basically narrowed things down to just buying hand-held radios for now and not getting into the Comtac Vs yet (but hopefully will in the future). So, I think this is where we are at and I hope knowledgeable people can chime in and let me know if I'm close to the mark or not:

1. Radios: Since the three houses on the farm are about 1/2 - 3/4 mile apart, we will be going with hand-held Baofeng BF-F8HP radios. I will also buy a GMRS license and since it's all family members, that makes it legit for all of us.

2. Antennas: I know these Baofengs come with antennas, but some have suggested buying upgraded antennas for the hand-held radios. Yes/no? If so, which ones are recommended?

3. Battery packs: It was suggested by @PFran42 in his big Baofeng thread that buying a large additional battery pack was desirable. Others also mentioned buying a battery pack that used AAs was a good idea, too. We are open to both suggestions.

4. Battery chargers: We need four radios (two for my house, one for my parents, one for my brother) and three chargers. Are the available chargers "smart" chargers that don't overcharge or overheat the rechargeable battery packs?

5. Radio pouches: PFran42's thread had many suggestions, so I think we're good on this subject.

Anyway, please let me know if I'm missing something or am off base with any of the listed info above. Thanks again in advance.

WG
View Quote

1.  That'll work fine.

2. For that short range (barring some crazy amount of terrain or structures in the signal paths), the stock antennas will do fine, in my experience.    If you ever DID feel the need to upgrade, many good options out there.  I like Nagoya 771s.

3.  No real need for the big battery, unless you want to have it on and away from charging for more than a  couple days.  The stock battery will give you at least a full day, maybe 2, depending on how much you transmit.  The AA packs are good backup, if you think you might need the power during extended outages.  Up to you.

4. Yes, these chargers are fine to leave the radio in, won't overcharge.  Me, I still err on the side of caution and do not leave them in 24/7, but it shouldn't hurt them.

5.  For pouches, I've never understood why so many folks use cool-guy open top MBITR type pouches for radios that are not waterproof or "hardened" in any meaningful way.  I like my UV-82s, but I believe in protecting the heck out of them, being what they are.

I use double M4 mag pouches (with covered tops, of course) for all my radios to protect them as much as possible.  Never had a problem doing this, out in rain, snow, even crawling up and down a mountain or two.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 10:25:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Real Nagoya antennas are decent, lots of fake ones out there.

They even have a page on their site about it.  Few years old, though.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 10:34:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Get the extended batteries not just for extended run time but because they also fit in tactical gear much better.

Once you get the extended batteries, but a bunch of the USB charging cables for them. They'll work with USB wall chargers, plugging into any powered USB ports, portable power bricks etc. They give you a lot of options.

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

MissingImage

These are also cool if you run Dewalt cordless tools and want to use the batteries as portable power sources:

MissingImage

Link Posted: 3/2/2021 10:48:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Is this the correct programming cable and can I just buy one or do I have to buy one for each radio?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HUB0ONK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=AA3MGRC7F9EI2&psc=1
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 10:49:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Ive got a few of the uv5r radios.
Stock antenna is fine for several miles.
Stock battery lasts forever just listening, haven't used it much to Tx.

Try them out of the box before buying a bunch of junk, I bet they work just fine.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 10:51:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is this the correct programming cable and can I just buy one or do I have to buy one for each radio?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HUB0ONK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=AA3MGRC7F9EI2&psc=1
View Quote

That's the one. It will work on all of your radios.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 10:54:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Real Nagoya antennas are decent, lots of fake ones out there.

They even have a page on their site about it.  Few years old, though.
View Quote

How can you know you're buying a real one before getting it shipped? Is there a trusted site to buy from?

@Doppleganger871

ETA: also, the cheapest I've found these radios are on Baofeng Tech's own website. I hate to ask dumb questions, but should I buy from them direct or off amazon? Direct from them is $63 vs. $80 on amazon.

https://baofengtech.com/product/bf-f8hp/
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 11:39:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Baofengtech is just a reseller. Ive got their tri band HT. Works ok. If it's cheaper from them, get it from them.  They seem to be a reliable seller.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 2:54:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Baofengtech and R & L Electronics are good known sources.

Baofengtech and buytwowayradios.com are authorized Nagoya dealers.  No fakes.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 3:09:57 AM EDT
[#10]
If you buy the better versions of radios (UV82 or UV9R) they come stock with an antenna that the equivalent of the Nagoya that everyone buys for the el-crappo UV-5R (and derivative) radios.

Although since you're using UHF (GMRS) the stock el-crappo antennas aren't all that bad. The UV-5R antennas are mostly known for sucking on VHF, which is where most of the amateur activity is instead of UHF.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 3:17:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 7:48:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Last time I bought, the UV5x3 had the latest generation chipset/firmware. Not as powerful as the F8-HP or 82-HP, and more expensive, but it doesn't sound like you need the extra "on paper" 3 watts. I also like having options, so the 1.25M band is nice to have, and it propagates pretty good vs 70CM and 2M...in emergencies.

Stock antennas will be fine, but this stuff is almost at commodity pricing - the ABBREE antennas seem to outperform the Nagoyas on the YT vids I've seen.  

The AA Battery Pack is nice to have - stuff it with AA Lithium Rechargeables (DeleePow 3400mWh are the highest I've seen).

The Extended Batt is also nice with the USB direct charging cable, as mentioned above - you can charge anywhere there is a USB port on something.

There is also a vehicle 12v adapter pack.

The Beez Combat Systems pouch is pretty nice.

All that said I've switched to Wouxun KG-UV8E's - tougher with an IPx rating, and they offer a *bit* of security (from the average Joe) with a Scramble feature when talking to another Wouxun. ~$115 ea. though.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 8:23:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't forget Disco32 PTT if you want to use Baofeng with military comms

View Quote

The Baofeng has a wider frequency range than just GMRS stations, and doesn't comply with the GMRS wattage limits when it's on GMRS frequencies. So buying a GMRS license doesn't make it legal

View Quote

I like the Nagoya whip. It works when oriented vertically. Adding a counterpoise can also boost receive and transmit in theory

View Quote

Realistically, i find that a fresh battery lasts about 1 day but sometimes doesn't make it through the full day. It depends entirely on how much you transmit since that's what uses the power. esp at 8w. But keep in mind that lithium ion batteries lose capacity over time with use, so i think it makes sense to buy spares. never know when they might disappear from the market
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 1:04:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The Baofeng has a wider frequency range than just GMRS stations, and doesn't comply with the GMRS wattage limits when it's on GMRS frequencies. So buying a GMRS license doesn't make it legal
View Quote

That's disconcerting. I'd rather not get into "ham" territory (and everything that goes into it), so what are my options?
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 1:11:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That's disconcerting. I'd rather not get into "ham" territory (and everything that goes into it), so what are my options?
View Quote

Buy GMRS radios. If you are going to depend on these radios in an emergency, why would you buy the cheapest thing you can?  Would you buy and equip your family with jennings or hipoint pistols for an emergency?

Go to the radioddity website or the baofeng tech website and search for the radios that are band specific.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 1:18:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

MURS at 2 watts? Or buy the license and use it at 5 watts. Or just use it - they allow up to 50 watts if it's in your truck. Some these "rules" are pretty f'n ghey. FCC has way bigger fish than an extra 3 watts on a an HT...standing next to a GMC Sierra putting out over 8... JMO.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 1:31:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

$12 pack of radios at Walmart.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 3:24:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Ham" territory is the frequency you are using, not the radio. If you program the radios with amateur frequencies, you'll be in amateur territory.

If you're on GMRS, you're on GMRS.

In theory GMRS handhelds are supposed to be limited to 5 watts, but the overall power limit for GMRS is 50 watts. Regardless of advertising the "high power" baofengs don't actually do what they are advertised anyway if that matters to you. You're not using a type accepted radio anyway so it's a pedantic concern at most that you might be using 5.5 watts on GMRS. The "high power" radios are mostly a gimmick (beyond the overall gimmickness of all baofengs), and you'd be fine with the standard power versions like the models I suggested. The main function of high power in an HT is fast battery drain.

If people don't want to have to get into the weeds of regulatory issues, it's easier for non-technical folks to just buy type-accepted radios that are pre-programmed. There is some flexibility with the open radios but only if you're technically savvy enough to take advantage of the flexibility and stay out of trouble at the same time.

Unless you're a technically knowledgeable user any of these fully programmable radios with display and full keypad is going to be overload and problems waiting to happen. Even in the fully programmable realm, most would be better served with radios with the simplified user interface like the UHF only BF-888, or the dual band UV-6.

If you have the budget you could always buy a better quality radio like an Icom, Kenwood or Vertex UHF LMR/Part 90 radio and program it to the GMRS frequencies. Do not buy Part 97 amateur radios to use on GMRS.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 3:41:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Isn't GMRS also say detachable antenna are a no go as well? I forget how all the GMRS rules work.

From everything I've read, GMRS on ham radio isn't technically legal no matter how you set it up. I think baofeng sells GMRS specific radio's though, don't they? If not, several Chinese companies do sell pretty cheap gmrs radio's if you're looking to go that route.

Getting a gmrs license to use a baofeng seems silly. I believe you'd be better off not getting a license at all, stick to GMRS frequencies on the baofeng and be just as legal as if you got a license.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 3:46:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Isn't GMRS also say detachable antenna are a no go as well? I forget how all the GMRS rules work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

No antenna restrictions on GMRS.

From everything I've read, GMRS on ham radio isn't technically legal no matter how you set it up.

Ham/amateur radio isn't part of this discussion.

I think baofeng sells GMRS specific radio's though, don't they? If not, several Chinese companies do sell pretty cheap gmrs radio's if you're looking to go that route.

There are companies that sell radios with GMRS specific firmware that are type approved, yes.

Getting a gmrs license to use a baofeng seems silly. I believe you'd be better off not getting a license at all, stick to GMRS frequencies on the baofeng and be just as legal as if you got a license.

No, it's not the same if you don't have a license.

If you want access to GMRS repeaters, you'd better have a license. I also recommend people getting the license if they are using full power mobiles or base stations. Nothing wrong with getting it either way.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 3:54:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

It absolutely is a ham radio discussion when using a ham radio.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 4:37:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's not using ham radio frequencies.

He's not using ham radio hardware. (no baofeng is type approved for amateur radio, those that are type approved are either Part 90/LMR or Part 95/MURS or GMRS)

He's talking about using either LMR radios (type approved or not) or else GMRS radios on GMRS frequencies.

The fact that you ascribe other communications to "ham radio" doesn't make it so.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 4:42:31 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm looking more into DMR this year.  

Everything I've watched and read over the past few months has been singing the praises of DMR radios.

Link Posted: 3/3/2021 4:51:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm looking more into DMR this year.  

Everything I've watched and read over the past few months has been singing the praises of DMR radios.
View Quote

DMR is a top-down authorization required system for land mobile radio, that's been adapted (as amateurs often do) to amateur radio also. By "authorization required", I mean the radios have to be programmed with identification information matching what's in the overall system somewhat like a cell phone.

It's neither legal nor practical to use on GMRS.

If you're putting up a land mobile repeater, then sure DMR is a possibility. You could probably rent access to a commercial LMR repeater, that's really what DMR was designed for.

If you're an amateur operator and you want access to amateur DMR repeaters or talk groups via hotspots, then by all means dive in.

DMR is pretty complex when it comes to the technicalities, such that many/most amateurs even rely on preset "codeplugs" rather than try to program their own radios.

If you're bootlegging and want a digital format for message obscuring or whatever, there are probably easier options. I think DMR radios can do a simplex mode but I don't have experience with simplex, and the radio setup might be a challenge. Like all communications, it depends on what you are trying to do and who you are trying to talk to.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 6:35:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Indeed, this is not a ham radio discussion if the OP doesn't have a ham license and will not be operating in ham bands.

GMRS is separate.

Any digital radio that does DMR (and is "open", as in frequency range) is more than capable of being used on GMRS frequencies.

Nothing wrong with having a highly capable ht that can do DMR, and all the analog stuff as well. Tools in the toolbox = versatility.

DMR capable radios are for the most part capable of some sort of encryption, for simplex use.  Not hard to set up at all, in the CPS.  Both radios on same freq programmed with same key, done.

That said, just talking on a normal freq, in digital mode, with no encryption, keeps half of the idiots out there from hearing you anyway.  Listening to the same freq on analog gives you nothing but staticy bleeps.

The DMR ID thing is not a technical requirement, it's a "gentlemensc agreement.  Almost moot though, as most DMR repeaters are set up, by the owners, to not let you in if you're not broadcasting a valid ID number.

This number can only be gotten by showing a valid ham license at radioid.net.  Free and easy.

DMR is pretty neat, if you're in range of a repeater or hot spot, gives you a way to talk to folks all over.

Digital simplex works great, good sound quality.

They're not hard to program, even writing your own code plug, once the learning has occurred.

There, how's that for massive thread drift.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top