Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2018 7:31:19 PM EDT
Saturday night the wife and I went to Sedona to do some night hiking. Got home about midnight and I was tired so instead of putting my two 14’s in the safe I just put them on the kitchen counter top.

Come out in the morning to find them on the ground. I’m guessing attack by cat. One is fine. The other has a bent power knob. I was mad but I can live with it. But then I noticed it was on!

I looked and I have a light burn from a window and a squiggly line. Who knows where it came from. It’s not a hair, trust me.

I tried the sock drawer trick. Didn’t seem to help.

So I contacted my insurance agent. Not only do I have home owners I have an extra rider that is suppose to cover everything, including stupidity. I was very clear on that with my agent when I got it.

So we will see what happens. Hopefully insurance comes through. If not I’ll have to sell it cheap I guess.

Of course this happens now when I’m trying to fucking sell them :(

Edit: it looks WAY worse in person.

Link Posted: 5/21/2018 7:38:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 7:53:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Try the shoe box trick first.
View Quote
I did. I ran it for a tad over 24 hours. I figured if it looked better after 24 hours I’d do it more.

It didn’t seem to help which I found odd given some say they have success with this technique (mind you I’m not questioning them at all)

I really had my fingers crossed.

Like I said I can live with the bent power button and yeah, I guess the burn isn’t “terrible” but I just know myself. I can’t live with that.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:25:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't understand how people just leave these things on. After I'm finished using my equipment for the day, batteries come out and the devices are placed back in there cases. Maybe it's a MIL thing that I don't leave equipment unsecured after use, or idk. After all the horror stories,  I wont even leave a lithium battery in a pvs-14 overnight if I'm not using it. Kind of inconvenient though. Would leaving a lithium battery in for extended periods of time (say a month)be that much of a problem?
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:31:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I don't understand how people just leave these things on. After I'm finished using my equipment for the day, batteries come out and the devices are placed back in there cases. Maybe it's a MIL thing that I don't leave equipment unsecured after use, or idk. After all the horror stories,  I wont even leave a lithium battery in a pvs-14 overnight if I'm not using it. Kind of inconvenient though. Would leaving a lithium battery in for extended periods of time (say a month)be that much of a problem?
View Quote
Glad you asked that question; going to piggy back on that especially after reading on here the dangers of leaving your batteries in your NODS.

During each tour, we had batteries in our NODS 24/7 for months at a time and none of us ever had an issue.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:40:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Glad you asked that question; going to piggy back on that especially after reading on here the dangers of leaving your batteries in your NODS.

During each tour, we had batteries in our NODS 24/7 for months at a time and none of us ever had an issue.
View Quote
I figured having at least one with battery installed ready to go would be a benefit that would outweigh the risk. I imagine  you used alkaline batteries as from my experience that's just what we were given to run in our 14's. I plan to use lithium.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 10:44:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Guys, trust me, typically I’m a batteries out after every use kind of guy.

But I’m old, it was late, I was in a TON of pain and I just wanted to hit the bed.

I thought, what’s the worst that could happen? Lol.

With way I guess it isn’t “terrible”. What really irritating is while both tubes are close, this was the better tube.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 11:18:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Use foil over the lens...do it longer then 24 hours.  I had a burn take 4 days to work out before.  Make sure NO light can get in and make sure gain is maxed.  Call me crazy but I also alternated each day with focus all the way one way then all the way the other.  I had a burn where I could see the exact window with the little cross hatch things and everything...after 4 days it was 95% better.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 12:56:05 AM EDT
[#8]
So........as a guy that toasted a set of Sentinels. I have learned the hard way.

I find I’m not the best with taking the batteries out at the end of the night but I have found that stowing either the device or the whole helmet in a pouch or pack puts my mind at ease and way easier then removing the batteries. Cheap insurance. Plus I feel the padding of a pouch saves the potential disaster of it hitting the ground.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 7:19:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Yeah I'm the same way.  After use I will purposely make sure the cover is closed and pointed at a dark something- inside the helmet, pouch, or whatever.

Sounds like you could keep doing a several day burn and maybe get most of that.

I gave my first -14 to a buddy and he did the same thing.  Most of it came out after several shoe box sessions.  But he still knew it was there and it bugged him.

Be interested in seeing what the insurance boys do.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 7:50:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Sorry to hear that, I hope it works out for you.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 8:24:38 AM EDT
[#11]
My kit goes into a sealed pelican, nightly. I keep the batteries in my Sentinels because I want them ready when I grab them, and I've never had an issue. Sometimes I will even double check them because this is an expensive piece of kit! I guess that puts me with the "I don't understand how these get left on so frequently" group.

I would give the sock drawer more time - aside from an insurance claim, I am not sure what your other options would be.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 8:26:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Hope your insurance comes out good. I have mine insured too, and it includes stupidity & cats also, but haven't had to use it and hope I never will. You might just get lucky and get it sorted out better than what you would've got from selling the unit prior to your cat doing what cats do best.

I keep lithium batteries in if I know I'll be using them in the near future, but usually make sure the lenses are covered with more than just the daycaps. With a DTNVG the auto shutoff when sides swiveled up gives me a bit extra peace of mind it won't turn on by itself as the tubes keep off if stowed that way. If in a pelican case they sit stowed flat for the same reason.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 8:44:19 PM EDT
[#13]
tagged
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 12:54:01 PM EDT
[#14]
I wanna know what that squiggly line is...could something have jarred loose when it fell?  It does not look like a burn...
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 1:46:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 2:01:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Ok, I’ve been busy the past couple of days but I just made the initial call. Lady was very nice, she just took the details.

I guess they have special teams for this sort of thing and they will call me within one business day.

Sorry I’m short on details, but I’m sure I’ll get the low down when I talk to the team. She asked if I’ve gotten a repair estimate yet, to which I responded I haven’t.

So I don’t know if they will just try to fix it, or total it?  I wonder if you can still even get new Omni 7 tubes?

I dunno?  I guess I’m going to find out soon. Honestly I wrestled with even calling. I almost said fuck it. But I just don’t want to have to worry about it and that’s what I have insurance for, right?

I’ll keep you guys updated.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 2:02:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
As I guy who toasted a set of GPNVG's...Well sorta me.  Mentioned this story awhile back.  So I have some team guys in the backyard for some Cuban cigars and laughs where they wanted to see some of the newest high spec L3 WPT's tubes that were in the GPNVG's. About 3 weeks later, I get a call from our own "Clasky" telling me L3 notices there was some pretty serious bright light damage throughout all the tubes.  Being pretty darn careful with gear, I told him it can't be from my use.  Then the hammer drops... Clasky tells me, "boss, the ghost images on the GPNG's was a 90deg view of your kitchen".  In situations like this, it seems like time stops in it's tracks and drool escapes from ones mouth from your jaw hangin'.

What appeared to have happened after a few team guys handed me back the PANNO's, I set them aside and never checked to see they were turned off.  I then layed them on my kitchen top counter where they stayed for at least 3-4 days!

So to some, don't feel like the lone ranger....It happens.
View Quote
Wow! ....you toasted those?!  Yikes!  You must have been sick.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 2:07:08 PM EDT
[#18]
I've seen 'blemishes' such as the black spots we see when looking down tubes but this is a different type of blemish I have in one of my tubes -

Is this considered image burn?

I couldn't really tell in the OP's pic aside from the weird line.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 2:27:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I've seen 'blemishes' such as the black spots we see when looking down tubes but this is a different type of blemish I have in one of my tubes -

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180524/823d09aaae52c8bd0f915e1cc3dd76bc.jpg

Is this considered image burn?

I couldn't really tell in the OP's pic aside from the weird line.
View Quote
Mine is a lot easier to see in person. It’s the squarish looking darker spot at around 12 o’clock.

As far as yours?  I’m not sure. I’ll let the experts weigh in.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 2:32:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quick update. Just spoke with the insurance lady.  She was super nice. I gave her the details. Told her it’s not terrible but it’s not right. Not the way it was. And I don’t trust the power knob to be honest. It’s pretty jacked up.

She said first step is to see if she can find someone to get an estimate to repair it. I said there are some reputable companies that will do it. Told her about TNVC and UNV.

So @tnvc you might see my unit soon.

I told her it was an Omni 7 tube. I explained to her about data sheets (I don’t have one). She wanted to try and get a good idea for a comparable replacement.

So from here it looks like it’s in the hands of whoever it gets sent to. I don’t know how much the knob is, a comparable (new?  I would think it’s be new and not used....don’t really want a used tube) tube and the labor would cost.

Updates to come.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 2:52:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Yeah this will be interesting to get a line on how a tube is "pro-rated" like an auto or whatever; how do you determine the performance level of your tube for a replacement value.  Without a spec sheet, would it have to be factory tested to determine what it's specs were, to replace the tube with a comparable unit?  Or do they hee-haw around and say, well, we'll only you buy you a replacement tube that has the same amount of approx. hours on it as yours, blah, blah, blah.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 3:12:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Hope your insurance premiums don't go up too much.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 3:20:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Would leaving a lithium battery in for extended periods of time (say a month)be that much of a problem?
View Quote
That's one of the pluses of lithium primaries. I don't think I've seen one leak, where I've seen alkalines leak while still in unopened packaging, in a drawer.

The other advantages are that they run longer, and keep far longer (I've used 20 year old Surefire CR123's that were still fine).
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 4:14:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Yeah this will be interesting to get a line on how a tube is "pro-rated" like an auto or whatever; how do you determine the performance level of your tube for a replacement value.  Without a spec sheet, would it have to be factory tested to determine what it's specs were, to replace the tube with a comparable unit?  Or do they hee-haw around and say, well, we'll only you buy you a replacement tube that has the same amount of approx. hours on it as yours, blah, blah, blah.
View Quote
Yeah I’m not sure. I’m nit sur me if an hour count can even be approximated.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 5:49:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yeah I’m not sure. I’m nit sur me if an hour count can even be approximated.
View Quote
For me, on the only claim I’ve made it was a percentage based on age and not hours used.  It also had nothing to do with the life of the product as some items that would last decades were valued percentage wise the same as old electronics that were outdated and relatively worthless.  This was for total loss/theft so repair will be a little different. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them say they’ll give you a percentage of the new cost and cut you a check after they get a quote to repair that is higher than purchasing a new gen 3 replacement with similar specs.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 7:16:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

For me, on the only claim I’ve made it was a percentage based on age and not hours used.  It also had nothing to do with the life of the product as some items that would last decades were valued percentage wise the same as old electronics that were outdated and relatively worthless.  This was for total loss/theft so repair will be a little different. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them say they’ll give you a percentage of the new cost and cut you a check after they get a quote to repair that is higher than purchasing a new gen 3 replacement with similar specs.
View Quote
That would work for me. Like I mentioned part of me was just going to say F it. I can live with it.  But I know eventually it would eat at me and I wouldn’t want to try to explain why the event happened A while ago and I waited to file a claim.

I just don’t want any hassle. I try to keep things simple. I hear insurance horror stories so unless something  is really bad I try to avoid it.

But these are one of the few things in life I really really like so I want them to be as close to perfect as they can and after the drop the one is not.
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 2:05:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Update

First off the lady I have been dealing with is awesome. So nice. I was so nervous from horror stories but she was perfect.

Too expensive to fix so they direct deposited me the money.

At first i was considering buying the broken one back from them.  She told me a salvage guy had to appraise it. But she called me back. The salvage guy told her it wasn’t worth it so she told me to keep it.

So I’m off to look at new stuff!  I know L3 WP is top of the heap but I can get new pvs-14’s WP, filmless photonis echo tubes for $2500 a pop from night vision inc. I’ve been told they will outperform my Omni 7 tubes in all lighting conditions.
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 2:27:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Update

First off the lady I have been dealing with is awesome. So nice. I was so nervous from horror stories but she was perfect.

At first i was considering buying the broken one back from them.  She told me a salvage guy had to appraise it. But she called me back. The salvage guy told her it wasn’t worth it so she told me to keep it.

So I’m off to look at new stuff!  I know L3 WP is top of the heap but I can get new pvs-14’s WP, filmless photonis echo tubes for $2500 a pop from night vision inc. I’ve been told they will outperform my Omni 7 tubes in all lighting conditions.
View Quote
LMK if you want to sell your damaged unit
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 2:56:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Update

View Quote
Congrats, that went easier than expected. I imagine the process being somewhat similar to what it's here, though we have a certain % (usually 10% to 20%) per year decrease in the calculated value, except for binoculars which covers NV binos too, so you "have" to run binos

Don't quote me on this, but as far as I know the Echo+ is min FOM1800 so neck to neck with minimum Omni VII specs. Someone just some days ago said the Echo+ tubes can be anything from SNR 25 to high 30's. I wouldn't bet on certain that an Echo+ will beat an Omni VII in every environment, but if you can query the specs before purchasing then sure if you find a higher spec tube.

I don't know that much about pricing in the US, but a WP at $2500, would that be a Harris tube then? If I were in the US with a free choice of tubes I'd certainly be looking for either L3 or Photonis nothing else.
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 4:32:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Congrats, that went easier than expected. I imagine the process being somewhat similar to what it's here, though we have a certain % (usually 10% to 20%) per year decrease in the calculated value, except for binoculars which covers NV binos too, so you "have" to run binos

Don't quote me on this, but as far as I know the Echo+ is min FOM1800 so neck to neck with minimum Omni VII specs. Someone just some days ago said the Echo+ tubes can be anything from SNR 25 to high 30's. I wouldn't bet on certain that an Echo+ will beat an Omni VII in every environment, but if you can query the specs before purchasing then sure if you find a higher spec tube.

I don't know that much about pricing in the US, but a WP at $2500, would that be a Harris tube then? If I were in the US with a free choice of tubes I'd certainly be looking for either L3 or Photonis nothing else.
View Quote
It’s a photonis echo tube WP, filmless. I’m buying it from Night Vision Inc . It’s on its way. When I get it I’ll post pics of it in different lighting conditions along with my good Omni 7 green tube.

I’m going to sell both of my green tubes.   I’m going to try and shoebox the burnt one for longer to see if it helps a little before I sell it.

Everyone I spoke with gave me the same advice. Go true binos but I’m trying to pinch pennies at the moment. I’ll get true binos down the road.
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 4:42:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

It’s a photonis echo tube WP, filmless. I’m going to demo it. It’s on its way. When I get it I’ll post pics of it in different lighting conditions along with my good Omni 7 green tube.

I’m going to sell both of my green tubes.   I’m going to try and shoebox the burnt one for longer to see if it helps a little before I sell it.

Everyone I spoke with gave me the same advice. Go true binos but I’m trying to pinch pennies at the moment. I’ll get true binos down the road.
View Quote
Ah yes, I misread your post. I somehow read that you can get a Gen3 WP (filmed I assumed too) or a Photonis Echo(+) at $2500. Will be interested in your specs and pics when you get it. It's either Echo+ or Harder Digital to which I'm upgrading next, maybe later this year. Seeing comparisons from your side of the pond is super helpful as usually people over here don't have more than one tube at hand at a time and usually older US Gen3 or lower spec Photonis.

Yeah binos are great, no going back. I assume you run dual 14 so you're hooked already, but the weight is something. I haven't run dual 14 ever so don't know how that feels, but even going from dual MUM to DTNVG was a big improvement in many ways.
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 7:22:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Ah yes, I misread your post. I somehow read that you can get a Gen3 WP (filmed I assumed too) or a Photonis Echo(+) at $2500. Will be interested in your specs and pics when you get it. It's either Echo+ or Harder Digital to which I'm upgrading next, maybe later this year. Seeing comparisons from your side of the pond is super helpful as usually people over here don't have more than one tube at hand at a time and usually older US Gen3 or lower spec Photonis.

Yeah binos are great, no going back. I assume you run dual 14 so you're hooked already, but the weight is something. I haven't run dual 14 ever so don't know how that feels, but even going from dual MUM to DTNVG was a big improvement in many ways.
View Quote
Yes, exactly.

As far as the weight I have to be honest it doesn’t bother me. Of course I haven’t been spoiled by true binos either lol.

I’ll put up pics next week!
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 7:49:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

It’s a photonis echo tube WP, filmless. I’m going to demo it. It’s on its way. When I get it I’ll post pics of it in different lighting conditions along with my good Omni 7 green tube.

View Quote
When will you ever have a better opportunity then now to get into Binos?
Just sayin, good Sir.
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 8:04:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

When will you ever have a better opportunity then now to get into Binos?
Just sayin, good Sir.
View Quote
I was wondering when you were going to see this and bust on me
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 8:48:36 PM EDT
[#35]
cough cough
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top