Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2020 12:02:11 AM EDT
Ordered some Cerakote from Brownells a couple weeks ago and finally set aside time this weekend to get two rifles painted.

Took a while setting everything up and taping off the parts. So when I got to the cerakote and opened it up imagine how upset I was when there was a “sludge”  inside the bottle. Thought maybe I didn’t shake well enough. Nope. Shook for five minutes. Still a sludge.

Two of the three colors were bad. What makes it go bad?  Heat, time, humidity?  What ever it was Brownells has bad stock on hand.

(These bottles sat inside my A/C controlled home the two weeks I had it).

Anyone had cerakote go bad?  Thinking I need to call Brownells and start a RMA
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 12:19:54 AM EDT
[#1]
You can call Nic and give them the code on the bottle and they can say when it was made or if others in that batch had calls. If Brownells keeps in stock and not drop ship it could have been stored hot. Mine get that way when old and hot. You can add a little acetone and shake and sometimes it works out but if it's bad it's just bad.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 12:24:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I only order from NIC.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 1:20:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I only order from NIC.
View Quote
Yeah, like the convenience of Brownells but maybe straight from the source is the way to go.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 1:21:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You can call Nic and give them the code on the bottle and they can say when it was made or if others in that batch had calls. If Brownells keeps in stock and not drop ship it could have been stored hot. Mine get that way when old and hot. You can add a little acetone and shake and sometimes it works out but if it's bad it's just bad.
View Quote
Thanks I’ll call them.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 9:09:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Interesting- I had the same experience this summer with their Alumahyde...2 different cans.
I wonder if they have a storage problem?
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 2:11:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had this happen as well.  I had them all stored in my shop for a while and gets hot there in the summer months.  I noticed only some of the really bright colors went bad.  Like Zombie green, NRA Blue, and USMC Red.  The metalic colors were fine and some of those were even older.  Bottom line I keep my paints inside the house.  Some even use small refrigerators on a high setting.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 5:48:49 PM EDT
[#7]
"Sludge". Are you describing the pigments settling, or is it something else. High solid paints all do this to some degree.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 11:32:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
"Sludge". Are you describing the pigments settling, or is it something else. High solid paints all do this to some degree.
View Quote

It's more like the solvent evaporates and changes the consistency of the entire bottle.  You'll notice when new all Cerakote is REALLY thin.  Thinner than water it seems.  Once it starts to go bad no amount of shaking seems to thin it out again.  I never thought of adding acetone to it as someone mentioned but I'd be weary of that as it seems that would change the chemistry quite a bit.  Never know how that affects the bonding, curing, etc.  I'd never know how much to add either way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top