Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/6/2018 10:44:49 PM EDT
I posted some time back that I was looking at picking up a bf7240 but things came up and I passed on that. Ideally I'm going to make a move on something in a few months.

Currently have a Superior Regal at my parents house and rather than move it I think I should upgrade considering the value I'm trying to protect and I want to go a step past the bf series. It'll be on a slab foundation and against the outer wall of a brick house so I would think the fire rating shouldn't be as much of a concern as it is for some.

Where I'm at now is

Bfii7240
Superior Untouchable 45 or 55
Graffunder B7240

What else should I be looking at in this range?

The dealer I bought from before deals Superior and graffunder. They quoted me a price decently below MSRP for an untouchable, didn't ask about Graffunder. The only amsec dealer I know close by doesn't stock bfii's. Superior is a very aesthetically pleasing safe and they don't upcharge nearly as much as amsec for the nicer finishes.

Of course I could "up-armor" a cheaper safe and have my auto body guy refinish it.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 1:41:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I've got an older Graffunder that is an awesome safe.  I'd buy another one if I needed a safe.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 5:56:58 AM EDT
[#2]
All three are pretty stout safes, IMO (for whatever that's worth).

I've got an Untouchable 45 on hold at a local safe company, waiting for my house to be built. As expensive as it was, I could not afford a Graffunder, however.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 12:00:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Graffunders are for those who are really into the hand built craftsmanship, but you can get far better safes for less money if you would rather have function over aesthetics.  The BFII is a great safe, but again, you're at a price point where you're not too far off of something with a real UL burglary rating.

If you've got a friend with a body shop who would do you a solid, I'd buy a used commercial safe and have him work it over for you.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 2:12:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Can you please elaborate on the body shop upgrades? PM would be welcome if you don't want to post recommendations publicly.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 11:16:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can you please elaborate on the body shop upgrades? PM would be welcome if you don't want to post recommendations publicly.
View Quote
I think he was just talking about having a body shop refinish it since a used commercial safe is probably going to be worn and drab.

For myself I was referring to adding extra plate(ar4 or 500 maybe) to the exposed sides of the safe and having my auto body guy prep and paint. The metalwork I have no problem with but a painter I am not.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 5:44:50 PM EDT
[#6]
You can also look at a Fort Knox dealer and add options to their standard safes.

I added 3/8” AR500 on all 6 sides to a 1/2” door and 1/4” body safe.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 5:59:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can also look at a Fort Knox dealer and add options to their standard safes.

I added 3/8” AR500 on all 6 sides to a 1/2” door and 1/4” body safe.
View Quote
Yep. That'll do it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top