Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 3/2/2024 9:43:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: casktcrw]
Let me know if I’m missing something here.
Old stocks didnt crack
New stocks do. Started at least several years ago, persists to this day. Noone knows why.

Sometimes they crack right away, sometimes after 3k rounds. Sometimes they break into 2, or 3 pieces. Locations vary. I was scrolling r/aug and it seems someone is posting their broken stock on a weekly base.

Then two incidents of the receiver bushings falling out.

I finally accepted all of the ‘shortcomings’ of the design. Just to stumble onto just how pervasive the issue is.

Pj dude told me this in entirely new issue.

One video from a couple of years ago describes CS acting surprised. Others describe steyr replacing stocks for a mere scratch just in case.

You’re killing me here steyr. Im been lusting after the aug for so long, but there is always something.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:17:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 11:03:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Manticore_Arms:
It is a known issue that started during COVID. Best guess is Steyr had to go to an alternate polymer supplier and/or there was a qc issue with the supplied polymer.

The  interior corners on the crossbolt pocket also are very square/sharp on the newer stocks compared to older ones, they may have had to go to a new mold or had refurbished one (or all) of the existing stock mold (molds wear over time from the injection molding process and either have to be refurbished or replaced to keep them in spec) and this creates stress riser in that location. Most of the stocks that have broken propogate from that location.

It may be a combination of the sharp interior corner and a polymer issue stacking up.

That being said, the occurrences are pretty rare in the big picture and IMHO reddit is, well, digital scuttlebutt of the worst type. A lot of tye broken guns get post led over and over, which makes the issue seem more prevalent.

Sven
Manticore Arms

View Quote
the new post with a 2023 stock that completely split from top to bottom at the rear is pretty bad though
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 11:05:21 PM EDT
[#3]
In terms of overall rifle longevity (ie will this rifle last till my grandkids time so they can fight the AI Terminators after digging up my coffin full of guns).

How are the old AUG A1's from the 70's-80's holding up? Are the older plastics starting to become brittle or are they still holding strong?
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 11:19:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: casktcrw] [#4]
It is a known issue that started during COVID. Best guess is Steyr had to go to an alternate polymer supplier and/or there was a qc issue with the supplied polymer.

The  interior corners on the crossbolt pocket also are very square/sharp on the newer stocks compared to older ones, they may have had to go to a new mold or had refurbished one (or all) of the existing stock mold (molds wear over time from the injection molding process and either have to be refurbished or replaced to keep them in spec) and this creates stress riser in that location. Most of the stocks that have broken propogate from that location.

It may be a combination of the sharp interior corner and a polymer issue stacking up.

That being said, the occurrences are pretty rare in the big picture and IMHO reddit is, well, digital scuttlebutt of the worst type. A lot of tye broken guns get post led over and over, which makes the issue seem more prevalent.

Sven
Manticore Arms

View Quote

I don’t want to be the test case. I’d love for them to sort their shit out once and for all. I don’t mind an older stock, but i don’t like a3 receiver. As far as molds, i am working in a molding house now… we have a problem part that fights assembly. Out of 6 tools, 1 has the pins made to print that create the offending feature. Most of the tools that lived for years with a third party, on arrival we are finding them not only beat up and poorly repaired, but modified geometry. People, especially outside shops, seem to take great liberty with tools, effectively modifying the design - usually for worse. As far as sharp corners, it blows my fucking mind that anyone would design sharp  corner into anything, but molded parts especially.

I was kind of sold on buying one with the idea that it would break quickly if it’s affected, but with some breaking after more rounds that most might shoot, im much more concerned.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 1:40:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Just buy a used a3 sa problem solved.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 8:06:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: casktcrw] [#6]
Originally Posted By TSH77769:
Just buy a used a3 sa problem solved.
View Quote

I HATE the a3
What is this sa? An extra high low rail? The reason i like aug is the ar-15 height over bore. I don’t like it the way this sa looks. How much higher is it? I’ve also never seen it used since ive been looking at used market.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 9:11:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:
In terms of overall rifle longevity (ie will this rifle last till my grandkids time so they can fight the AI Terminators after digging up my coffin full of guns).

How are the old AUG A1's from the 70's-80's holding up? Are the older plastics starting to become brittle or are they still holding strong?
View Quote

I don’t have a definitive answer but lots of surplus Malaysian AUG out there still going strong.

I’ve worked in the polymer injection industries in the past and this seems like a polymer blend issue.. wrong blend.. wrong/different polymer.. wrong drying process… or a mix of them.

Could also be that the injection process was not set correctly.. if there’s not enough pressure some parts may result weaker.

Link Posted: 3/3/2024 9:51:35 AM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

I have a couple preban AUG A1 guns with one of them having 11,600rds through it. No issue with the stock cracking or any of the polymer parts.
The ejection spring did wear out around 9,700rds that I had to swap out.
I also have a couple Steyr A3 guns with one having around 6000rds through it. No issue with the stock or any polymer parts.

As others mentioned, it is an issue that popped up only during and after 2020. All earlier guns are fine with polymer parts holding up plenty well.

Sidenote, Steyr USA has been pumping out a CRAP TON of AUGs lately which I don't think it is a good thing.
From what I've gathered from other owners, friends, and my own guns for AUG A3 and A3M1 using the #USAxxx SN marking:
2008-2019 | 12 years = 1USA to 15USA prefix (~15000 guns)
2020-2023 | 4 years = 16USA to 34USA prefix (~19000 guns)
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 10:20:35 AM EDT
[#9]
In terms of overall rifle longevity (ie will this rifle last till my grandkids time so they can fight the AI Terminators after digging up my coffin full of guns). Don’t know, Steyr US QC has been hit or miss for a while now. The more they have their hands on the AUG the less I trust it. Now the stock issues popping up are even more concerning .

How are the old AUG A1's from the 70's-80's holding up? Are the older plastics starting to become brittle or are they still holding strong?  the older A1,A3 & early M1 are holding up great. The Chrome lined bbls will get you 10,000+ rounds of tight groups (especially the Austrian made ones) if you don’t abuse it. You will get about 1/2 that one the nitride bbls (at least my test bbls) the older stocks are holding up very well.

View Quote
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 5:18:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: casktcrw] [#10]
Originally Posted By Frens:

I don’t have a definitive answer but lots of surplus Malaysian AUG out there still going strong.

I’ve worked in the polymer injection industries in the past and this seems like a polymer blend issue.. wrong blend.. wrong/different polymer.. wrong drying process… or a mix of them.

Could also be that the injection process was not set correctly.. if there’s not enough pressure some parts may result weaker.

View Quote

We are having issues r now with nylon 6 cable carriers. The new dryer has the mat’l down to .01% moisture, and i dont know if that’s a problem - techs say there is no min, mat’l manuf says .06 min. The story they sell is it imparts stresses because mat’l is harder to flow. In reality the shop is very dry, and anyway once the parts hydrate they don’t crack. Don’t know what mat’l stocks made of. Wrong blend seems to me less likely? Im sure it’s off the shelf shit. And anything blended on site un 2024 in these quantities is probably blended automatically.

ETA imagine if they start cracking hammers next
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 10:15:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I have posted about it before.  It is a design flaw- no design should have the sharp corners the AUG has, but they got away with it for decades due to good polymer.  When that got screwed up, things started breaking once in a while.

I have a couple of them in the batches that have had breakages.  Great guns, enjoy shooting them, but I won’t be picking them for an end of the world situation where I can’t get a replacement stock (or other parts) from Steyr if needed…

One has the sharp corners radiusing bandaid fix done by Steyr, I copied that on my other one.  

If Steyr was smart they would do a couple things:
Redesign any sharp corners.
Thicken the material near those same corners as well.

That would put the concerns to rest pretty well.  

If I did have to use an AUG for end of the world needs, I would be quite tempted to try to reinforce those areas with some epoxy or similar internally and externally.  I just hate anything where you always have a concern at the back of your mind, however minor.  

All that being said, I would buy another one today.  I just don’t plan to use one in situations like that which might arise…
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 3:35:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: desertmoon] [#12]
Here is my take:

Someone at Steyr with an MBA got a cookie for saving .50 Euro per stock by changing from polymer A to polymer B which is "JUST AS GOOD but cheaper" ( though he wouldn't know polymer science from a stick up his ass ) and saved the company a whole bunch of money.  Reputation be damned, I bet he got a nice promotion while AUG owners get screwed.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 6:46:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By tac556:
I have posted about it before.  It is a design flaw- no design should have the sharp corners the AUG has, but they got away with it for decades due to good polymer.  When that got screwed up, things started breaking once in a while.

I have a couple of them in the batches that have had breakages.  Great guns, enjoy shooting them, but I won’t be picking them for an end of the world situation where I can’t get a replacement stock (or other parts) from Steyr if needed…

One has the sharp corners radiusing bandaid fix done by Steyr, I copied that on my other one.  

If I did have to use an AUG for end of the world needs, I would be quite tempted to try to reinforce those areas with some epoxy or similar internally and externally.  I just hate anything where you always have a concern at the back of your mind, however minor.  

All that being said, I would buy another one today.  I just don’t plan to use one in situations like that which might arise…
View Quote

I dont want anything that isnt combat worthy.
They don’t always break at corners.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 6:47:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: casktcrw] [#14]
Originally Posted By desertmoon:
Here is my take:

Someone at Steyr with an MBA got a cookie for saving .50 Euro per stock by changing from polymer A to polymer B which is "JUST AS GOOD but cheaper" ( though he wouldn't know polymer science from a stick up his ass ) and saved the company a whole bunch of money.  Reputation be damned, I bet he got a nice promotion while AUG owners get screwed.  
View Quote

I just dont know what they could have switched. There isn’t too much novel in plastics. Most gun parts seems to be made of nylon, the first molded thermoplastic, or something near identical.

So a3 stocks are guaranteed to be good? Where do i score one and how can i be sure it’s a3?
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:32:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By tac556: It is a design flaw… but they got away with it for decades due to good polymer.
View Quote

Doesn’t sound like a design flaw if it worked for decades.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 9:02:02 AM EDT
[#16]

I have a couple of them in the batches that have had breakages.  Great guns, enjoy shooting them, but I won't be picking them for an end of the world situation where I can't get a replacement stock (or other parts) from Steyr if needed

All that being said, I would buy another one today.  I just don't plan to use one in situations like that which might arise
View Quote
it's not only about corners

Link Posted: 3/4/2024 12:16:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 1:25:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By CJofFL:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tac556: It is a design flaw… but they got away with it for decades due to good polymer.

Not sure in general the rule applies to polymers.. they flex and absorb shocks better that metal
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 1:55:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: desertmoon] [#19]

Doesn't sound like a design flaw if it worked for decades.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tac556: It is a design flaw  but they got away with it for decades due to good polymer.

Doesn't sound like a design flaw if it worked for decades.
That's why my money is on polymer change that was either A: a money saving step in favor of the company coffers  or ( and this could be ) B:  "supply chain issues".
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 1:56:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: casktcrw] [#20]

There is no such thing as an A3 stock, only A3 receivers and A3 M1 receivers- they both use the exact same AUG or NATO mag stocks.

The statement "there isn't too much novel in plastics" is not true at all.  There is a reason there are thousands of formulations of plastics out there, and nylon as the base polymer is only one of many, with additives also having a huge effect on the properties of the final product.  It is like saying "all steels are the same" because they have iron as a base component.

AUG stocks are made of Radel polymer, or at least were, as were the magazines, the stock and the magazine being different formulations (the magazines being a formulation optimized for translucency).   As I said, supply of materials became very difficult during COVID, and my bet is that one of the subcomponents mixed in to the polymer became hard for the Radel supplier to get, they had to go to another supplier, and something in that caused the downstream issue of stock cracking that we are now seeing in the last 2-3 years.

To be honest, if you are this worried about it, I would not buy an AUG at this time.  There is no proven way to tell if a stock is going to break at this time, other than to shoot the rifle and see if the stock gives out.  Steyr will replace it under warranty, but that obviously does not help if it gives out at a critical moment.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

Yeah ‘custom blend’ so they can charge u more $$
All out parts here are proprietary lmao it’s all off the shelf and we give it our own designation.

I just got off phone w steyr. They did change material. And they have ‘solved issue’ , waiting to find out if those are out in the market yet.

“Any plan to change back?”

“I hope not”

???
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 2:27:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Does anyone know which specific series are affected?  For instance mine is a 10USA XXXXX

Mine is at least 6 years old, so it's pre-COVID and likely not affected...but I am curious as to which ones are.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 2:51:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Does anyone know which specific series are affected?  For instance mine is a 10USA XXXXX

Mine is at least 6 years old, so it's pre-COVID and likely not affected...but I am curious as to which ones are.
View Quote

Since we’re talking about stocks…

Does anybody know the background on unmarked AUG stocks?
I acquired a NATO one years ago from Zib Militaria and I got a completely unmarked one (besides date codes and polymer used on the inside)
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 3:13:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 3:20:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kwb377] [#24]
New to AUG's (picked up one last week) so forgive me if this is a dumb question or common knowledge...

If the stock issues started as a result of COVID supply chain issues, would SN# 20USA6xx indicate an early 2020 model and hopefully before supply issues began backing things up and causing the formulation change? Of course, this is based on me assuming that 20 indicates year of manufacture and the last digits indicating its place in the production run that year.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 3:23:08 PM EDT
[#25]
There is no such thing as an A3 stock, only A3 receivers and A3 M1 receivers- they both use the exact same AUG or NATO mag stocks.

The statement "there isn't too much novel in plastics" is not true at all.  There is a reason there are thousands of formulations of plastics out there, and nylon as the base polymer is only one of many, with additives also having a huge effect on the properties of the final product.  It is like saying "all steels are the same" because they have iron as a base component.

>> AUG stocks are made of Radel polymer, or at least were, as were the magazines, the stock and the magazine being different formulations (the magazines being a formulation optimized for translucency).   As I said, supply of materials became very difficult during COVID, and my bet is that one of the subcomponents mixed in to the polymer became hard for the Radel supplier to get, they had to go to another supplier, and something in that caused the downstream issue of stock cracking that we are now seeing in the last 2-3 years.

To be honest, if you are this worried about it, I would not buy an AUG at this time.  There is no proven way to tell if a stock is going to break at this time, other than to shoot the rifle and see if the stock gives out.  Steyr will replace it under warranty, but that obviously does not help if it gives out at a critical moment.

Sven
Manticore Arms >>

It is my understanding that the color Block is the strongest for polymer due to fewer additives.  Is this true?
Also, I've not seen a pic of a broken black stock, only green and FDE.  Has anyone experienced or seen a broken black stock?

Link Posted: 3/4/2024 3:27:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By kwb377:
New to AUG's (picked up one last week) so forgive me if this is a dumb question or common knowledge...

If the stock issues started as a result of COVID supply chain issues, would SN# 20USA6xx indicate an early 2020 model and hopefully before supply issues began backing things up and causing the formulation change? Of course, this is based on me assuming that 20 indicates year of manufacture and the last digits indicating its place in the production run that year.
View Quote

Call and ask for Herbert.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 3:27:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Can I put my stock in the oven to stress relieve the stock? How hot and how long?

Link Posted: 3/4/2024 3:45:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By AbstractIdeas:
Can I put my stock in the oven to stress relieve the stock? How hot and how long?

View Quote

Slow cook, low and long
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 3:50:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By hobo:

It is my understanding that the color Block is the strongest for polymer due to fewer additives.  Is this true?
Also, I've not seen a pic of a broken black stock, only green and FDE.  Has anyone experienced or seen a broken black stock?

View Quote

General rule is that

Black > Colored > translucent > clear

Link Posted: 3/4/2024 4:21:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Frens] [#30]

Can you post a picture?
View All Quotes

I acquired a NATO one years ago from Zib Militaria and I got a completely unmarked one (besides date codes and polymer used on the inside)

Can you post a picture?

As I said it’s not Steyr marked and the mold is not even designed to accept mfg marking in the usual spot

Link Posted: 3/4/2024 4:34:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 6:47:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CJofFL] [#32]
deleted - misinterpreted photos
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 10:47:11 AM EDT
[#33]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mcantu:

I have a couple of them in the batches that have had breakages.  Great guns, enjoy shooting them, but I won't be picking them for an end of the world situation where I can't get a replacement stock (or other parts) from Steyr if needed

All that being said, I would buy another one today.  I just don't plan to use one in situations like that which might arise
it's not only about corners

https://preview.redd.it/zhyifnmvzzic1.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=17c325925da747b9f5c730f6dc232e2d77e4e320
this is like the 20th cracked AUG I’ve saw now, two being in person. I’m glad I have a few early A3 stocks packed away if I ever decide to buy AUG again.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 11:20:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dissident] [#34]
These threads make me sad.  Steyr makes me sad.  I've been wanting to get another bullpup but have been sitting things out for a while to see how they play out.  What's happened with the AUG is enough to push me back to a X95 instead.  While stock cracking MAY be rare, relatively speaking, and a nitrided barrel MAY be just as good as a CL, I don't want to be the guy that might have a the stock crack at the wrong time or have to replace the barrel after 5000 rds.  I don't like the idea of spending $1600 on a crap shoot.  The decision to finally update my suppressor from an old gassy and heavy SF 556-212 to a Sig SLX556c-qd (impatiently waiting on this) makes getting the X95 only makes this decision easier.  Still makes me sad though.    

Link Posted: 3/5/2024 11:38:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: casktcrw] [#35]
Originally Posted By Dissident:
These threads make me sad.  Steyr makes me sad.  I've been wanting to get another bullpup but have been sitting things out for a while to see how they play out.  What's happened with the AUG is enough to push me back to a X95 instead.  While stock cracking MAY be rare, relatively speaking, and a nitrided barrel MAY be just as good as a CL, I don't want to be the guy that might have a the stock crack at the wrong time or have to replace the barrel after 5000 rds.  I don't like the idea of spending $1600 on a crap shoot.  The decision to finally update from a SF 556-212 to a Sig SLX556c-qd (impatiently waiting on this) makes getting the X95 only makes this decision easier.  Still makes me sad though.    

View Quote

Nitrided barrel WILL rust in conditions which chromed/phosphated+oiled one will survive. I cannot believe u don’t get chrome for the money given how cheap most of the gun is to make.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 12:18:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KitBuilder] [#36]
Originally Posted By casktcrw:
Nitrided barrel WILL rust in conditions which chromed/phosphated+oiled one will survive. I cannot believe u don't get chrome for the money given how cheap most of the gun is to make.
View Quote
Yeah they really cheaped out over 922(r).
Most countries where the AUG is sold receive the Austrian chrome lined barrels, which are excellent.

They used to have Sabre and FN make the chrome lined barrels here in the US, but both of those companies screwed up.

I guess ultimately it's the US government's fault for not allowing the nice imported barrels.

The stock issues clearly rest on Steyr however. Strange they've made no announced efforts to correct production.
I'd want to correct that and let everyone know it's been corrected.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 12:36:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 1:36:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By KitBuilder:
Yeah they really cheaped out over 922(r).
Most countries where the AUG is sold receive the Austrian chrome lined barrels, which are excellent.

They used to have Sabre and FN make the chrome lined barrels here in the US, but both of those companies screwed up.

I guess ultimately it's the US government's fault for not allowing the nice imported barrels.

The stock issues clearly rest on Steyr however. Strange they've made no announced efforts to correct production.
I'd want to correct that and let everyone know it's been corrected.
View Quote

I will admit the CHF/CL 'Made In Israel' barrel on the X95 was a contributing factor in my decision to purchase one.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 1:49:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Tomac:
I will admit the CHF/CL 'Made In Israel' barrel on the X95 was a contributing factor in my decision to purchase one.
View Quote
Yeah the import restrictions can be circumvented, if the manufacturer/importer wants to put in the effort to do so.

I think there shouldn't be a restriction in the first place. Allegedly the lobbyists for some of the big domestic firearms manufacturers supported it in 1989.

Steyr seems to not be as innovative at executing workarounds as IWI, Benelli, and FN for example. (I think they're a much smaller company though.)
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 2:32:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Yeah the import restrictions can be circumvented, if the manufacturer/importer wants to put in the effort to do so.

I think there shouldn't be a restriction in the first place. Allegedly the lobbyists for some of the big domestic firearms manufacturers supported it in 1989.

Steyr seems to not be as innovative at executing workarounds as IWI, Benelli, and FN for example. (I think they're a much smaller company though.)
View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 3:05:28 PM EDT
[#41]

Oil the nitride barrel just like you oil the phosphate and it will be fine.  Phosphate will rust faster than Nitride with no oil.

Sounds like the AUG isn't for you, maybe you should move on to another platform.  

Sven
Manticore Arms
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dissident:
These threads make me sad.  Steyr makes me sad.  I've been wanting to get another bullpup but have been sitting things out for a while to see how they play out.  What's happened with the AUG is enough to push me back to a X95 instead.  While stock cracking MAY be rare, relatively speaking, and a nitrided barrel MAY be just as good as a CL, I don't want to be the guy that might have a the stock crack at the wrong time or have to replace the barrel after 5000 rds.  I don't like the idea of spending $1600 on a crap shoot.  The decision to finally update from a SF 556-212 to a Sig SLX556c-qd (impatiently waiting on this) makes getting the X95 only makes this decision easier.  Still makes me sad though.    

Nitrided barrel WILL rust in conditions which chromed/phosphated+oiled one will survive. I cannot believe u don’t get chrome for the money given how cheap most of the gun is to make.

Oil the nitride barrel just like you oil the phosphate and it will be fine.  Phosphate will rust faster than Nitride with no oil.

Sounds like the AUG isn't for you, maybe you should move on to another platform.  

Sven
Manticore Arms

Except when the phosphate is enameled like the Austrian AUGs
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 3:09:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By FullAssault:

Except when the phosphate is enameled like the Austrian AUGs
View Quote

‘Stoving’

Even better
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 4:42:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: casktcrw] [#43]

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

I guess you never heard that phosphate is porous and actually holds the oil. So you cannot oil it “just like phosphate”.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 5:55:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Manticore_Arms] [#44]
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 6:23:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: casktcrw] [#45]

I concede to your incredible knowledge of material properties and finishes, of both polymer and metals, I am in awe.

Carry on.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

Nice grammar. Trolling with your company name, that’s great marketing. You sound like every other nitwit malcontent on here.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 6:43:09 PM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

They could bring in chromed barrels, then thread and park em.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 9:20:50 PM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

They cannot. They can only import unchambered blanks. The machining. Including the chanber, has to be done in the US.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 9:40:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: casktcrw] [#48]
Originally Posted By JoshNC:

They cannot. They can only import unchambered blanks. The machining. Including the chanber, has to be done in the US.
View Quote

Ever heard of imported polish ak sporter barrels?
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 9:55:21 PM EDT
[#49]

View Quote

NATO stocks have never had exterior brand markings on them. That's normal.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 10:21:32 PM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes

IWI, FN, CZ, CZ, HK, Beretta, Zastava, FB, WBP, Arsenal, Cugir, Benelli, etc all import chrome lined barrels.Steyr most certainly can, in fact they do to every other country in the world. Steyr US instead tried to chrome the blanks in-house to save money,couldn’t get it right so they nitrided them (poorly I might add, at least on the early ones) rather than having the bbls chrome lined here by a reputable company. The main reason you have nitrided bbls and questionable QC now is because Steyr US is too cheap (and incompetent) to make a true Austrian spec AUGs but why would they when they can build the parts kits cheaper and charge you more. People are lining up for them because the name so they keep pumping them out just as they are as fast as they can.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top