Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2022 8:14:33 PM EDT
So, a little background first. I had an AR pistol that I had a QD muzzle brake put on. They used rockset. I decided to sell the gun and get a full size rifle. I brought it in to have the brake removed so I could use it on the new rifle. Well, they couldn’t get it off. Soaked it in hot water for 24 hours, didn’t work. Heated it to 1100 degrees. Didn’t work. Wound up just getting rid of the gun with the brake on it. Do you think they just used too much rockset to attach it? Is there something else to use? Like red loctite or something?

So, first of all, is there a better way to install a QD device that has a better chance for removal in the future? At my LGS they said this happens fairly often.

Secondly, my new rifle has a stainless barrel as opposed to a melonite or nitride treated. Will this make a difference in how the muzzle device is attached?
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 8:26:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Rocket can be a bitch to remove, I basically treat it as permanent install and only use it if I'm sure I'm never going to want to remove the muzzle device. If you want to retain the ability to remove a muzzle device just use proper torque ~30-40 ft lbs to attach it. I personally have never had a properly torqued muzzle device come loose. Locktite is mostly useless as the heat from a suppressor is going to melt it anyway.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 9:11:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rocket can be a bitch to remove, I basically treat it as permanent install and only use it if I'm sure I'm never going to want to remove the muzzle device. If you want to retain the ability to remove a muzzle device just use proper torque ~30-40 ft lbs to attach it. I personally have never had a properly torqued muzzle device come loose. Locktite is mostly useless as the heat from a suppressor is going to melt it anyway.
View Quote

This is gonna sound crazy...

...but I use a rubber Oring on my muzzle devices. the rubber is flexible enough to absorb the concussion of firing while gripping to hold the device timed.

You can't see it because it's smooshed flat, but it works for me.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 9:40:20 PM EDT
[#3]
IMO unless you're doing repeated mag dumps or just super blastin' you should be able to use Loctite 272 and not have it melt off.
But that's just me.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 9:59:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
IMO unless you're doing repeated mag dumps or just super blastin' you should be able to use Loctite 272 and not have it melt off.
But that's just me.
View Quote

I’m guessing using that will be easier to remove than rockset? This mount is for a Rugged suppressor. They recommend either rockset or red loctite. And I’m guessing to just use a small amount? I may just put my next one on myself and try to avoid this nightmare.

I do have a mount on another gun that was put on with rockset. I was thinking about using a different style brake on it, but not sure I want to go through this same thing again. Definitely don’t want to with my new rifle. I just feel like you never know, things change and don’t want the mount to be permanent.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 11:20:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Smack the threaded area with a brass hammer to break up Rocksett before wrenching on it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 10:12:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 10:34:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So, a little background first. I had an AR pistol that I had a QD muzzle brake put on. They used rockset. I decided to sell the gun and get a full size rifle. I brought it in to have the brake removed so I could use it on the new rifle. Well, they couldn’t get it off. Soaked it in hot water for 24 hours, didn’t work. Heated it to 1100 degrees. Didn’t work. Wound up just getting rid of the gun with the brake on it. Do you think they just used too much rockset to attach it? Is there something else to use? Like red loctite or something?

So, first of all, is there a better way to install a QD device that has a better chance for removal in the future? At my LGS they said this happens fairly often.

Secondly, my new rifle has a stainless barrel as opposed to a melonite or nitride treated. Will this make a difference in how the muzzle device is attached?
View Quote

Sounds like they slather every threaded barrel that comes through with a lb of Rocksett

Sufficient torque which was already mentioned.  That strategy has worked for me so far.  I've never had a muzzle device work loose on its own.  To get it on and off requires some muscle with the upper securely in a bench vise block.  Investing in the proper tools and doing it yourself compared to relying on a shop is quite rewarding in the long run.  You might want to look into it.

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 10:59:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 11:03:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Sounds like they slather every threaded barrel that comes through with a lb of Rocksett

Sufficient torque which was already mentioned.  That strategy has worked for me so far.  I've never had a muzzle device work loose on its own.  To get it on and off requires some muscle with the upper securely in a bench vise block.  Investing in the proper tools and doing it yourself compared to relying on a shop is quite rewarding in the long run.  You might want to look into it.

View Quote

Yeah, had to be something like that. I may put my next one on myself with just a dab of red loctite to make sure it doesn’t come off when unmounting the suppressor. But don’t want it permanently on there for sure. I have another one they did that I was going to switch QD devices, but not sure I want to go through this process again. May just have to stick with what’s on there for now.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:42:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I use rocksett and have never had any problems getting a device off. Just a few drops, then torque muzzle device to recommended spec. To remove l just soak it in near boiling water for 10 minutes then it will come off. When you use morebthan a few drops and dump it on is when you will have problems getting it off. Applying heat with a torch is also bad as it will only make the bond stronger so don't ever do that.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:52:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I only use half a drop on the last two of the barrel threads.  If used on the first of threads it will contact all the threads as the device is threaded on.  Also it’s easier for water to soak the Rocksett if it’s applied closer to the barrel and muzzle device's junction.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 4:04:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I only use half a drop on the last two of the barrel threads.  If used on the first of threads it will contact all the threads as the device is threaded on.  Also it’s easier for water to soak the Rocksett if it’s applied closer to the barrel and muzzle device's junction.
View Quote

Talked to the guy today. That’s exactly what he said he did. Idk. Kind of hinky and makes me not want to use rocksett at all…
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 4:11:00 PM EDT
[#13]
There's a way to get the muzzle device off. Dump a couple of mag and gets it really hot. Everything should just walk out easily with a wrench. Yes, I know the price of ammo, but if you want to remove it bad, that's one way. The other way is to get it hotter than 100f using a blow torch should get anything off as well. Nothing is permanent unless you weld it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:43:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Never had a problem with rocksett using a vice and leverage...factory sig flash hiders however, holy hell
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:56:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Smack it like someone else mentioned. I’ve also seen sotar recommend heating it with a torch and dunking it in cold water to shock the rocksett
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 7:25:25 AM EDT
[#16]
From the manufacturer of Rocksett: “The only way to break a proper Rocksett bond is to soak the part in hot water for 20 minutes or more and then forcibly remove the components.”

I recently removed a MD that I Rocksett myself by boiling water, pouring it into a small metal bowl, sticking the end of the barrel in it submerging the MD for 20 min, and it removed easily as if there was no Rocksett.

FWIW, the MD was put on by me with 3 drops around the circumference of the barrel threads, close to the muzzle, but a few threads in. Not sure if it’s correct or not, but the logic being a few threads in to avoid it at the muzzle, but near the front, so that it’s carried over other threads as the MD is screwed on. Hopefully, avoiding the muzzle as well as the shims, shoulder, base.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top