Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2018 11:16:38 AM EDT
I'd like to purchase an armorer's wrench.  I probably won't use it a lot but want something that works well and should last.

Example: today I'm installing a SB PDW brace and need to tighten the castle nut.

What would you recommend?
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 12:18:55 PM EDT
[#1]
With tools, I believe buy once knowing it will last a lifetime with normal care.

Magpul AR-15 Armorer's Wrench

ETA About 57 bucks
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 1:06:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a DPMS barrel nut wrench, and a cheap one I got off of ebay that does the rest for 10$. I don't use the ebay one for installing barrels, for obvious reasons, but it's made out steel if that means anything.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 1:40:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I ordered the Magpul wrench.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 8:04:24 PM EDT
[#4]
It hate to shill for Magpul, but their wrench is pretty fucking solid.  I've pulled stubborn Ruger RPR barrels off, as well as several AR barrels, like it was cool.

If you really want to make life simple, invest in a "reaction rod" that fits into the extension of whatever your working on.  Much better than using a barrel or action vise.  Not cheap, but neither is goobering up new rifle parts.  Been there done that, not going back.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 9:33:10 PM EDT
[#5]
You can buy a $50 barrel extension tool that does the same job as a "reaction rod". It doesn't have vice flats, but you could mill them.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/barrel-tools/ar-15-m16-barrel-extension-torque-tools-prod27452.aspx
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 3:48:27 PM EDT
[#6]
The standard Reaction Rod type tools are known to shear indexing pins and damage the indexing pin notch on the upper receiver... However, the Supper Reaction Rod, the 2UniqueLLC barreling jig and the Windham Weaponry barreling jig make shearing an indexing pin impossible.

I also highly recommend the barrel wrenches from 2UniqueLLC.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 12:29:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can buy a $50 barrel extension tool that does the same job as a "reaction rod". It doesn't have vice flats, but you could mill them.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/barrel-tools/ar-15-m16-barrel-extension-torque-tools-prod27452.aspx
View Quote
Or you could just take an old bolt and weld it to a round bar stock
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 1:08:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Truth.
That's what I'm doing to make a G36 barrel wrench support. Those machined bars are stupid expensive. I bought a used SL8 bolt for $29.
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 8:32:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The standard Reaction Rod type tools are known to shear indexing pins and damage the indexing pin notch on the upper receiver... However, the Supper Reaction Rod, the 2UniqueLLC barreling jig and the Windham Weaponry barreling jig make shearing an indexing pin impossible.

View Quote
I have used my Geiselle Reaction rod to do multiple barrel changes for testing on an upper, as well as install barrels on multiple AR's for friends. I will have to keep an eye out for this as I use it in the future.
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 1:34:41 AM EDT
[#10]
The Magpul tool is bad ass for sure... I have one.. But it is Not A do all end all. I built a pistol 9mm AR and it would Not fit over hex shaped buffer tube to tighten castle nut.  Had to buy a alternative half side wrench

H
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 4:50:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
This guy just said everything you need to know (almost) about reaction rods.

You also need to know reaction rods are designed to work on the respective AR upper receiver, not a Ruger Precision Rifle.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 4:52:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I use different AR armorers wrenches depending on what I want to do. As noted above the Magpul wrench does not work for some pistol buffer tubes, like the Phase 5.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top