Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2018 12:17:33 PM EDT
I did read the pinned body armor post but I'd like a little more insight into one particular aspect.

Lvl IV ICW IIIA vs. Lvl IV stand alone

Pros/Cons of each setup?

Currently I have a Mayflower APC with IIIA 10x12 soft panels and am weighing the idea of either getting IV ICW plates or IV standalone for if the need arises to upgrade threat level.

What's the best way to go here? Educate me, and TIA
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 12:23:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I like the ICW because in my situation I'm already wearing a IIIA vest so if I'm throwing plates on I don't mind them being a little lighter (even though it's a heavier package overall) for the same protection. ICW plates are actually a little hard to find -- I like the ones I got from Tyr Tactical.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 12:51:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah I've noticed the IV ICW IIIA plates to be a little harder to come by.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 12:55:42 PM EDT
[#3]
ICW plates can be thinner and lighter than their stand alone counterparts. This is useful if you want some soft armor coverage with your plates if you're using a BALCS, concealment, or even MBAV soft armor insert. However if you want the most minimalist plate carriers you are probably better off with a stand alone plate which doesn't require the backer which can weigh over a pound and add .25in for cheaper models. There are ICW plates if you look, but the most common type of level IV plate is an alumina and either Kevlar or cheap PE plate. They're the heaviest construction materials for a plate, when you get into more expensive plates ICW plates are more available. ESAPIs for example are ICW interceptor soft armor. I use both SA and ICW plates, mostly level III ICW with MBAV or concealment cut soft armor.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 1:14:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Well I guess my next question would be where's the best places to be looking?
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 2:27:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Bulletproof me is a good source for plates. If you told us your budget I can think of certain specific plates that would be a good fit.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 6:48:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't really know for a budget. I will say I'm not looking to cheap out on them, but I don't wanna spend money I don't need to either.

I had eyed the Highcom 34i1 (III/IV ICW soft) at $269 apiece (I believe there's some coupon codes floating around for them as well)

That would probably be my upward limit at $500-600 a set. I mean obviously less would be ideal but again, I don't wanna cheap out either.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 7:23:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't really know for a budget. I will say I'm not looking to cheap out on them, but I don't wanna spend money I don't need to either.

I had eyed the Highcom 34i1 (III/IV ICW soft) at $269 apiece (I believe there's some coupon codes floating around for them as well)

That would probably be my upward limit at $500-600 a set. I mean obviously less would be ideal but again, I don't wanna cheap out either.
View Quote
Decent plate, can't go wrong with it. Definitely step up a bit and get it in multicurve. The 20% off code AR15.COM should help.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 9:54:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Decent plate, can't go wrong with it. Definitely step up a bit and get it in multicurve. The 20% off code AR15.COM should help.
View Quote
Thanks! I will probably look around a little more before I pull the trigger but they seem to have what I want either way whether it be ICW or SA
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 6:46:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thanks! I will probably look around a little more before I pull the trigger but they seem to have what I want either way whether it be ICW or SA
View Quote
What's your use case? How likely are you to risk pistol rounds to the side (where plates don't cover but a vest does a little). I gotta say though, if you are considering soft panels behind a ICW plate just go for stand alone. If you are wearing a vest then go ICW.
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 6:49:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

What's your use case? How likely are you to risk pistol rounds to the side (where plates don't cover but a vest does a little). I gotta say though, if you are considering soft panels behind a ICW plate just go for stand alone. If you are wearing a vest then go ICW.
View Quote
Well, I will be putting soft panels into the cummerbund...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top