Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2024 10:59:56 AM EDT
Has anyone used one?  Bought one for a child’s school back back?  I was thinking about the ar5000 phoenix with the 3+ plate (heavy).  Are there other options?
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 11:41:08 AM EDT
[#1]
In 3A soft plates there  are a lot of options... from just buying a panel, to getting the whole set up.

Premier and Vertyx

click here for armor and backpacks
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 12:13:40 PM EDT
[#2]

Soft armor, yes.  Heavy plate, in a backpack for a kid, no.  It'll be too heavy for the kid, especially with books added to the pack.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 9:01:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By FennRx:
Has anyone used one?  Bought one for a child's school back back?  I was thinking about the ar5000 phoenix with the 3+ plate (heavy).  Are there other options?
View Quote

https://www.ar500armor.com/phoenix.html

At ~5lbs, a bit heavy but tolerable for a teen in reasonable shape.  If your child really needs body armor at school, I would move or at least change schools.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 12:05:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I have soft armor in a vertx bag for work (school). I like it, fits well, adds like a pound so not crazy. I've flown with it without any drama including a solid med kit. It's not as comforting as a PC but it's next to me all the time and out of the way.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:59:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By FennRx:
Has anyone used one?  Bought one for a child’s school back back?  I was thinking about the ar5000 phoenix with the 3+ plate (heavy).  Are there other options?
View Quote

Sort of. I was gifted some old IIIA soft armor inserts, and a few years later, some very first generation AR500 armor plates, something like Level III. My son's school had just gone to lap top only, (all books were loaded in the computer, kid issued same completer every year of high school), so the backpack was MUCH lighter. It had a laptop pouch up front that didn't fit the school one, so it was a simple matter of stuffing the metal plate in with the soft armor wrapped over it, kinda like a spall shield. The weight didn't bother him a bit, and after he graduated I repurposed the armor to other uses.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top