Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2020 9:46:58 PM EDT
Saw an Armalite for sale for $999 in .308. Are these better than the LR308 ones? Which do you prefer?
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 9:51:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Saw an Armalite for sale for $999 in .308. Are these better than the LR308 ones? Which do you prefer?
View Quote
I like ArmaLite!
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 9:51:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I went with the ARMALITE Defender-10

I figured they have been making AR10's for a long time.

It's been a good rifle, but I shoot my 6.5grendel and 6.8SPC a lot more

after adding an M.I. MLOK 15",  JP trigger, and BCM furniture

compared to my old 16" 6.8SPC build

Link Posted: 2/6/2020 9:54:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Why not Wyndham?   They make a great .308!
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:06:49 PM EDT
[#4]
You didn’t know DPMS went out of business?
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:12:18 PM EDT
[#5]
That said, the Original LR series of dpms are what most copied.  I have two, and other than hating my pile of surplus 308, they run great.  Just need fed good commercial ammo or my reloads.  Very accurate.

Armalite is a great gun for sure.  They just work.  And they would eat pretty much anything.

There is plenty of aftermarket support for either brand
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:42:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why not Wyndham?   They make a great .308!
View Quote
I was talking about patterns, not brands. Is the Wyndham based on the DPMS LR308 pattern?
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 12:23:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 12:46:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I was talking about patterns, not brands. Is the Wyndham based on the DPMS LR308 pattern?
View Quote
https://monstrumtactical.com/blogs/guides/what-is-the-difference-between-an-ar-10-and-an-lr-308

https://308ar.com/ar-10-308-ar-compatibility-reference-guide/

AR10 / LR308 / LAR308 / SR25 / DPMS Gen-2  (All are .308 Caliber/AR Type Rifles.  They each have differences.)  There is not one "standard" for .308 AR Type rifles.  I know that the parts I used on my Wyndham, also worked with other LR308 rifles.

I've attached some articles that might be of help to you.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 1:54:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

https://monstrumtactical.com/blogs/guides/what-is-the-difference-between-an-ar-10-and-an-lr-308

AR10 / LR308 / LAR308 / SR25 / DPMS Gen-2  (All are .308 Caliber/AR Type Rifles.  They each have differences.)  There is not one "standard" for .308 AR Type rifles.  I know that the parts I used on my Wyndham, also worked with other LR308 rifles.

View Quote
That's a roundabout way of saying Wyndham is based on the LR308.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 10:38:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 3:50:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Better? ehh... both patterns are GTG.

I prefer the DPMS pattern, not because it is "better", but.. for me, parts availability seems to be better.

Both patterns will give you years of enjoyment.

As mentioned earlier... the lack of a "Mil-Spec" guideline can be a pita, but it is not insurmountable.

I opted to go the PSA route... their prices helped me be able to afford / fund my Large Frame AR's. I "tuned" / "finessed" them all ... and am quite happy with them.

My friends Aramilite benefited from the same tuning and finessing.  Adj. GB's and heavier buffer weights and recoil springs, lapping the upper receiver face and Loctiting in the barrel... no one needs to do all that, but I do.
View Quote
How much heavier a buffer and which spring?

I dunno if I'll ever lap the receiver face or locktite the barrel, but cutting recoil is something I'm interested in.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 9:16:21 PM EDT
[#12]
I wish I had bought one of the old AR-10B when they were available
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 11:22:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Didn't know about the AR10B thanks for the tip. Is the AR10B a highly desirable gun these days?
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 12:17:36 AM EDT
[#14]
If I were to buy a stock gun it would be a Saint.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 12:39:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I went with the ARMALITE Defender-10

I figured they have been making AR10's for a long time.

It's been a good rifle, but I shoot my 6.5grendel and 6.8SPC a lot more

https://i.imgur.com/broF5jm.jpg

after adding an M.I. MLOK 15",  JP trigger, and BCM furniture

https://i.imgur.com/VutAjjn.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/mWuJiOX.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Bvu7VyA.jpg

compared to my old 16" 6.8SPC build

https://i.imgur.com/bEKaO6K.jpg
View Quote
Nothing wrong with Armalite, but that's some flawed logic.  They haven't been making rifles for a long time.  The name has been around for a long time but not the company that currently owns it.  By that logic you should have bought a DPMS since they were wholly owned by the oldest rifle manufacturing company in the country, Remington.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 9:07:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Nothing wrong with Armalite, but that's some flawed logic.  They haven't been making rifles for a long time.  The name has been around for a long time but not the company that currently owns it.  By that logic you should have bought a DPMS since they were wholly owned by the oldest rifle manufacturing company in the country, Remington.
View Quote
@Wirebrush

I understand Armalite's history.

Eagle Arms Mark Westrom purchased the name in the 1990's, long after Hollywood and Dutch production.

They ( Westrom/Eagle Arms, Armalite ) started making 308 rifles back during the mid-1990's, long before DPMS, Remington/DPMS, or anyone else, except maybe Knight's.

Knigh was building rifles for the military, not focused on the civilian market
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 9:36:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Didn't know about the AR10B thanks for the tip. Is the AR10B a highly desirable gun these days?
View Quote
To those that really do their homework they are. Most people get hung up on using Pmags or fantasize about doing mag changes with their neighbors in the zombie apocalypse or big igloo. Fact is the .308 Pmag isn’t as robust as the 5.56 and In Westrom’s testing the B mag was actually more reliable than the A. For a site that touts function over form this advice isn’t followed in this regard. I have always preferred metal rifle mags and I will take steel mags every time over plastic or aluminum. I have purchased enough B mags and springs over the years that I’m fine until they put me in the ground.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 8:28:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 10:24:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes...…………..the retro ones with brown furniture and flash hider were pretty nice guns. A friend of mine bought one and he wouldn't sell it for anything
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 2:06:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Every stock setup... rifle length, DPMS pattern carbine, and Vltor / Armalite carbine length, all use Tubbs .308 Flatwire recoils springs ( and my 9MM PCC Colt pattern )

Rifle length stocks run a KAK 308 9.3oz buffer, DPMS Pattern carbine stocks run KAK 308 2.75" 5.3oz buffers, and "Vltor / Armalite" pattern carbine length buffer tubes run 5.4oz

YMMV, since I am using SLR Adj. GB's , and Lantac muzzle brakes on all my .308 and 6.5CM Large frames.... along with various polishing / burnishing ( interior of the buffer tubes, feed ramps... etc. )

All of them shoot very softly, and every single person that has tried them comment on how soft the recoil impulse is.

Personally, I believe there is ample gas on Large Frame AR's... and the heavy recoil weights and limited gas flow tend to support that for me.... keep it lubed and let it run.
View Quote
Gotcha. Yeah, I think you're right about the gas. I'm going to start playing with mine, to see where I can get with them.

Thanks for the details!
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 2:25:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Dpms are lasers

Neither, I'd buy a lmt
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 9:29:29 PM EDT
[#22]
The problem now is finding AR10B barrels.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 9:36:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The problem now is finding AR10B barrels.
View Quote
There is no such thing, there are Armalite barrels though. A&B use the same extension but many have reported they have used dpms extensions with an Armalite bolt with no problems. You just need to check the headspace, you should do that anyway.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 9:39:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

I got an Armalite AR10. It even runs Tula of all things without a hitch, accuracy's good, weight is good.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 9:54:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
@Wirebrush

Eagle Arms Mark Westrom purchased the name in the 1990's, long after Hollywood and Dutch production.

They ( Westrom/Eagle Arms, Armalite ) started making 308 rifles back during the mid-1990's, long before DPMS, Remington/DPMS, or anyone else, except maybe Knight's.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Wirebrush

That doesn't address the point that how long a company has been in business has little to do with the quality of it's products.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 10:02:29 PM EDT
[#26]
I would chose the DPMS simply because compatible parts are far easier to find.  I'd have no problem buying a DPMS large frame compatible Bolt, Barrel, gas tube, handguard, etc. from multiple local retailers.  I'd probably be hard pressed to find those parts for an Armalite on a shelf anywhere in the state.  With the Armalite you have the problems of the DPMS GII (proprietary parts) without the benefits.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 12:14:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not quite. Receiver format is LR-cut, but Windham uses smaller diameter receiver pins. I cannot mount a Windham upper to a LR lower, but I can vice-versa, although the fit is extremely sloppy and I wouldn’t attempt to even try to fire it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top