Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/17/2018 2:42:19 PM EDT
I'm trying to figure out approximately what this Arisaka is worth. I inherited it from a family friend along with a few other guns. As cool as it is, I'm not a collector of Japanese weapons and would rather pass it along to someone that appreciates it more. I don't know much about these guns, and I'm seeing prices all over the place so I'm having a hard time determining what this one's value is.

It was brought back by my neighbor's father and still has the Mum intact. Front and rear halves are matching, but the bolt numbers don't match the rest of the gun. He said that it's always been like that, so he said he thinks it was captured like that. I doubt it would have been issued like that, but as I said, I don't really know anything about these guns. Neighbor said that it hadn't been fired since it was brought back, just sat it his dad's office as a trophy. The bolt locks up tight and the bore is clean. The cleaning rod is missing, but it looks like everything else is as it should be as far as I know. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Link Posted: 3/17/2018 3:01:44 PM EDT
[#1]
That is a really nice Arisaka. Wish my wife would let me buy another one right now.
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 10:03:34 PM EDT
[#2]
J&G sales has a bunch listed right now on their website. That and gunboards will get you some good opinions
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 10:39:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
J&G sales has a bunch listed right now on their website.
View Quote
J&G has a number of standard Arisakas, but I see no takedown/paratrooper rifles listed.

This is what the OP has... It's not a standard Type 99:  http://candrsenal.com/briefly-japanese-arisaka-type-ii-paratroop-rifle/
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 11:16:17 PM EDT
[#4]
That's what I was seeing as well. I had hoped to find something comparable from J&G, but they're all standard rifles
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 12:50:07 AM EDT
[#5]
They usually sell around $800 to $1500. The upper end being for matching examples though.

Yours is missing the cleaning rod.

I sent you a PM.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 7:32:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 9:05:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
They usually sell around $800 to $1500. The upper end being for matching examples though.

I sent you a PM.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I sent you a PM.
Yeah I've seen guns with mis-matched bolts and ground mums listed for that, so I assumed this one would be worth more even with the missing cleaning rod. I haven't been able to find a proper replacement, but I also don't really know where to look for one. I figured a collector would either have one or know where to get one.

Quoted:
Easy $2500 in this neck of the woods.

ETA that’s not the correct bayonet fir that gun.
Thanks, I figured that after reading through a couple of bayonet info sites. The only thing I couldn't figure out was the approximate date it was made.
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 12:41:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yeah I've seen guns with mis-matched bolts and ground mums listed for that, so I assumed this one would be worth more even with the missing cleaning rod. I haven't been able to find a proper replacement, but I also don't really know where to look for one. I figured a collector would either have one or know where to get one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Unground mum really only adds another $150-$200 to the value.

I'd put yours around $1000-$1300.

The Type 2 cleaning rods are specific and I've never seen an original for sale alone.

They do make repro's but the quality isn't good.

Quoted:
Easy $2500 in this neck of the woods.
$2500 would be overpriced, even if fully matching with the dust cover.

There's a matching for sale for $1500 right now thats been sitting. Another mismatch bolt for $2300 that's been relisted MANY times with no bites.

I saw one sell for $700 that was completely mismatched, but original.
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 8:32:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 9:20:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I dont know what part of the country you are in, but I'd be happy to send the OP a check for $2K, because I could sell it and make money no problem where I am.
View Quote
All yours since OP is interested in selling it.

It's more than most would pay for a non-matching example that's missing its cleaning rod though.
I put out a realistic market price for the OP.

Check gunbroker or other recent sales if you don't believe me.
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 12:36:43 PM EDT
[#11]
here in middle Missouri you are not touching a mismatch for under $3k.

Amazing how the price changes depending on where you are.

I would be all over it for $1500.
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 1:10:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 9:57:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Nice all matching type 2 just sold here in Va. for $4450.00
Can be seen on Pre98.com under gone but not forgotton.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 3:52:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks everyone for the input. I guess I was hoping it was worth in the $2k+ range. I might throw it up on Gunbroker to see if anyone wants it that bad.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 7:07:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thanks everyone for the input. I guess I was hoping it was worth in the $2k+ range. I might throw it up on Gunbroker to see if anyone wants it that bad.
View Quote
Did you miss he post from Big Bore saying he'd happily send you a check for $2k ? A PM might be in order....

But they are all pretty much correct, being mismatched, and missing the cleaning rod does hurt it, so you will not realize top dollar that an all matching, complete gun would...its just the way it works...
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 10:47:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Around here people will pay more for an intact mum than they will for matching numbers.  Mums were ground off after the war. Those with mums are considered battlefield pickups, and more sought after.
View Quote
Agree....took a few years to find my type99....I wanted one with all the bells and whistles.  I would have to look at my records to see what I paid....I don't remember.

Good shooter as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top