Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2023 2:46:01 PM EDT
A friend was helping someone move and this came out apparently... kinda cool.

Im assuming its a Type 38 6.5mm, correct?  What do they go for these days(not for sale, just curious)

All the photos I got at the moment.. neat crysanthemum.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 7:40:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep! Definitely a type 38 6.5mm! Here in the Midwest, the price varies greatly. I bought one 2 years ago from a FFL in MO for $225. Looking on Gunbroker I see they go much higher though.
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 9:52:07 PM EDT
[#2]
IIRC (it's been a long time since I was into Japanese guns) I think that one came out of China. They used them post-war, even converted some to 7.62x39.That's going by the mum and writing on the stock.Springfield Sporters sold them into at least the early 2000's.
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 6:36:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: surplusnut] [#3]
Yep, the mum has been cancelled out, denoted by the three circles stamped on top of it. That simply means it was sold out of Imperial service at some point. The stamp on the stock could be a school/university marking perhaps but as the other poster stated and I believe he's correct; it's a Chinese marking. There should be an import stamp on it somewhere if it's a Chinese gun.

ETA, please give that rifle some loving before it deteriorates further.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 12:54:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: freeride21a] [#4]
Ahh so that is a cancelled mum, they cancelled it very nicely lol, thanks!  Thank you for the info gents.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 12:01:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't speak jibber jabber, but I don't think that's a type 38.
These are type 38's and as you can see the Kanji are different.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 12:03:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I think it's a type 30.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 12:08:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Inimicalone] [#7]
@freeride21a post a picture of the safety if you can, I think the hook style is fairly rare.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 2:27:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Inimicalone:
I think it's a type 30.
View Quote

Your are correct, that kanji means Type 30.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 4:29:08 PM EDT
[#9]
You've got me curious! What are the differences between a type 30 and a 38?
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 5:10:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By OmegamanX:
You've got me curious! What are the differences between a type 30 and a 38?
View Quote

8 years

Ba-dum-tiss *rim shot*

The safety was changed from a hook shape to the door knob shape to prevent the gas from a blown case/primer shooting back into your face.  The bolt also has fewer parts and they added a dust cover.

Link Posted: 10/23/2023 6:02:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I hope this isn't considered hijacking the thread, but I have a Type 38 with the same Kanji characters as was posted above.  But it has no mum at all.  No sign of one being ground off - just never, there, apparently.   Any thoughts on that?  It's a 6.5mm, not 7.7

Link Posted: 10/23/2023 9:34:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Jodan1776:
I hope this isn't considered hijacking the thread, but I have a Type 38 with the same Kanji characters as was posted above.  But it has no mum at all.  No sign of one being ground off - just never, there, apparently.   Any thoughts on that?  It's a 6.5mm, not 7.7
https://i.imgur.com/5Cfsy1t.jpg
View Quote

@Jodan1776 what does the rifling look like? If it's straight it could be a blank firing training rifle.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 10:25:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Rifling is strong and looks like normal rifling.
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 10:31:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GrimesSU] [#14]
View Quote

It had a mum or a defaced mum at one time, someone just took a lot of time blending and finishing it.

Many instances of bubba doing it.

Bubba has even started blending and re-adding the mum on defaced rifles to sell at a higher price.

Only exception being some Mukden rifles, and some training rifles.
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 2:49:43 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote
Is there an SA stamp in a box anywhere?
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 6:22:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By JAG2955:
Is there an SA stamp in a box anywhere?
View Quote

That would be a game changer!
Dibs, if for sale!
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 9:38:36 PM EDT
[#17]
When I was double checking my memory, I did find a Gunboards thread about Finn Arisaka. Some with SA stamps and some with Civil Guard numbers have been reported, from what it sounds like.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 9:42:30 AM EDT
[#18]
didn't the Chinese Arisakas have a burned in or branded symbol on the stock?

those numbers look Thai,   or Siamese
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 2:59:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By JAG2955:
When I was double checking my memory, I did find a Gunboards thread about Finn Arisaka. Some with SA stamps and some with Civil Guard numbers have been reported, from what it sounds like.
View Quote

The Japanese rifles in Finnish service all ended up used by the Finnish Civil Guard until enough Mosin's were available. The CG sold them off surplus in the late 1920's but the SA stamp wasn't instituted until 1942 so it's extremely unlikely you'd see a SA marked Arisaka. I've certainly never seen one and I'd be wary of a fake if I did. Most Finnish used Arisaka's will have the CG's S stamp on the stock followed by a district number but that's a Civil Guard stamp as apossed to the SA which is a Finnish Army property stamp.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 9:52:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Nice gun... the bayonet is probably worth almost as much as the gun.
I've been told if the serial number starts with 00 it was a retired weapon reissued as a school trainer.
Don't know if that applies to a T30
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 3:52:50 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a Type 30 action.  I removed the barrel because some bubba chopped it down.  Action is in excellent condition except for the belt bolt handle.  Hope to find a barrel to restore the rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top