Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2023 7:35:51 AM EDT
I came across vids about the mount on YT yesterday and naturally wondered if anyone on arfcom had experience.  

Are they worth the cost?
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 9:18:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I've heard of issues, wobbling issues and breaking from falls. You're better off with cheaper sotac g24 at half price, just add on nylon tip screw. Or get Lo Sto.
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 9:57:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By CPT_CAVEMAN:
I came across vids about the mount on YT yesterday and naturally wondered if anyone on arfcom had experience.  

Are they worth the cost?
View Quote

I've been using one for about 18 months now. It's just as solid as it was when I bought it. It's a copy of the G24 Lite, so I can't compare it to that, but against my two normal G24s it's just as good or (holy shit) better.

I want to get a second, but I have been reading the most recent ones have had issues. For the price though I think it's worth the gamble, just use a retention device in conjunction.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 1:50:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10-8DoWork] [#3]
I have a recent one and it's great. It's more solid than the 2 real G24's I use. I won't say it's better because Argus is not a proven brand and I'm not going to do a drop test on the Argus and a G24, but as of now, I have no concerns using the Argus for work. There's not really much else to say. It doesn't feel like a chyna mount.

I also have a knock-off G24 that I got for free and installed the nylon tipped screws. The mod tightened it up and it has less wobble than a real G24 but overall, the knockoff mount just feels kind of cheap. Again, not the case with the Argus.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 4:01:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ar15Niel] [#4]
https://imgur.com/a/cO5Jeqk

Wobble wobble

This one broke

https://imgur.com/Quk15Hx

This one broke from a fall

https://imgur.com/B6YOXGw

https://imgur.com/Ns7TkV5

China screws are soft
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 3:15:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought three and they are all beasts. My first one, acquired back in May, has been performing extremely well. Previously, I owned a Wilcox and some knockoffs with mcmaster screws, but I ended up selling them to switch to the Argus mounts whenever available. The stability is superior to my G24. All three do not wobble at all, while my G24 has some slight wobbles. Other than that, the overall quality feels on par with the Wilcox. Comparing these to the knockoffs is out of the question, as the Argus mounts offer a completely different level of feel and tolerance
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 1:59:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#6]
I'm pissed Argus upped the minimum order amount You used to be able to get 1 for $99. A NV guy on IG called AlphaOneDesigns (I think) did a detailed strip of all three (real, SOTAC, and Argus) and liked what he saw with the Argus. Somebody send me a G24 and I can break it - without knowing the exact circumstances and putting a Wilcox through the same situation - anything might have broken. We know wobbling and weak tilt adjustment tension happens with Wilcox. I'm on SOTAC with McMaster screws - mine have a good quality feel to me (L4G24 and L2G05 direct mount).
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 7:51:53 AM EDT
[#7]
We acquired these in bulk locally and honestly, they seem to justify the expense, even if one were to buy them at the standard retail price. Each one we've put to use has shown remarkable stability with no wobble. The vendor did offer us free replacements in the event of any issues, and a reduced cost for any replacements due to catastrophic damage. Up to this point, we've had no problems with them.
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 4:56:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I've read about these a bit over the last couple months. Last I looked- nobody had them in stock. Now it seems they're around again. I don't know any of the companies I'm seeing with them in stock though. Is there a reputable recommended vendor?

I currently run modified rhino ii's. Do these have any advantage over the rhino ii's? Lower profile in the stowed position?
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 11:57:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DutyRanger:
I've read about these a bit over the last couple months. Last I looked- nobody had them in stock. Now it seems they're around again. I don't know any of the companies I'm seeing with them in stock though. Is there a reputable recommended vendor?

I currently run modified rhino ii's. Do these have any advantage over the rhino ii's? Lower profile in the stowed position?
View Quote

I don't know the exact board rules for this - links may get nuked/thread closed? Just search using something like "argus LWNVM nvg mount" and there are a couple US sellers (no idea on stock though). Unfortunately, the minimum order, direct - is 100 units now...or $10,500.00

Edit:  Ah - reputable... no clue. But I just ordered one from the top search result (A.T.) and we'll see if it arrives.

Link Posted: 12/29/2023 2:37:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Arrived in 2 days, no wobble, feels solid.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 5:40:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Wait until you actually put time on it. Also don't drop it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 8:07:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Cadex is good stuff from what I've heard.  

On the Argus, I have all three (Willy, SOTAC, and Argus) and as far as wobble, I rate them SOTAC, Argus, and Willy.  

When you say run them, I do low speed woodland patrolling, so not any hard knock use.  So if you are doing more dynamic CQB-type training, you're mileage may differ.  

The Willy just has some wobble, for what it costs.  The Argus is tighter, especially with teflon screws, but the SOTAC w/teflon screws is the champ.  

The comment about chinese hardware is true, though.  Oftentimes you have to find some better metric hardware.  But if you don't mind doing a little work, they ain't bad.  

Any advantages over a Rhino, especially a RhinoII?  Not really.  If you expect harder use then it might be a better choice.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 10:30:36 PM EDT
[#14]
@Diz do you know what size teflon screws to order for the Argus? Or is there some kit out there?
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 11:38:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Argus is supposed to have nylon tipped from the factory. A guy on IG did a tear down. As far as what screws, if they're the same size as SOTAC, there are a few threads with McMaster links.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 7:46:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Yeah have look it up again.  Just remember the Willys are english and the SOTAC's/Argus are metric.  Either one through McMaster/Carr insures good hardware.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 11:41:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Diz:
Cadex is good stuff from what I've heard.  

On the Argus, I have all three (Willy, SOTAC, and Argus) and as far as wobble, I rate them SOTAC, Argus, and Willy.  

When you say run them, I do low speed woodland patrolling, so not any hard knock use.  So if you are doing more dynamic CQB-type training, you're mileage may differ.  

The Willy just has some wobble, for what it costs.  The Argus is tighter, especially with teflon screws, but the SOTAC w/teflon screws is the champ.  

The comment about chinese hardware is true, though.  Oftentimes you have to find some better metric hardware.  But if you don't mind doing a little work, they ain't bad.  

Any advantages over a Rhino, especially a RhinoII?  Not really.  If you expect harder use then it might be a better choice.
View Quote

Like a turtle
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 3:26:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Nocturn Industries is coming out with a new mount as well, I believe called the "Alpha Mount" that looks pretty cool.

Not sure what the anticipated price point is for the Alpha though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top