Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2021 9:16:42 PM EDT
Good, bad, or indifferent?   Might have a line on one.  My knowledge of FAL world is very limited.  

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 9:27:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I like both mine.  Rear site is a Para version compared to standard peep.  Upper receiver is slightly different as well.  Great shooters.  If price is right I'd buy it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 9:27:33 PM EDT
[#2]
The only Argentine FALs you can buy in the US are built from an Argentine FAL parts kit built on a US made receiver. How good the rifle is depends how good the builder was.

A builder like ARS..could be excellent. A builder like Century..its a crap shoot.

The Argentine kits could be ok.
The builder is key.

Link Posted: 11/5/2021 10:18:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By _DR:
The only Argentine FALs you can buy in the US are built from an Argentine FAL parts kit built on a US made receiver. How good the rifle is depends how good the builder was.

A builder like ARS..could be excellent. A builder like Century..its a crap shoot.

The builder is key.

View Quote

Not necessarily true.  You can still find A Brazilian IMBEL upper receiver out there if you look hard enough.  True, it will still be a kit gun.
And true about who builds it.  ARS is tops, I'll agree with you.  My Argy on Imbel was built by Sledgehammer, whom I'll also consider a top builder.
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 10:23:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Argies were license-built on FN tooling, so the parts kits are quite legit. After that it's up to the receiver and build quality.

I've got a minty Argie kit built on an export Argie FMAP Rosario FSL receiver. It's a great rifle and fun to shoot.

Unknown builder, as I got it in a bulk trade deal.
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 10:25:46 PM EDT
[#5]
There are multiple Argentine rifles with argentine receivers

Armscorp imports of para and standard
Century argentine receivers can be salvaged to build  on all Argie parts kits
SAC Latta imports of barreled uppers and.complete lowers can be reunited or built up
Probably some others out there
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 12:35:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Both the Argentine open-eared gasblock barrels and the closed ear barrels are usually very good.

And the Argentine synthetic handguards are one of the best ever made...

Forrest
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 7:47:54 PM EDT
[#7]
The Argies lost the Falklands War - be a winner and hold out for an L1A1
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 3:40:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By StealthyBlagga:
View Quote

Actually, I think that the Brits were sometimes using the Argie guns instead of their L1A1s...

Just sayin'...

Forrest
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 1:32:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I’ve had a full Argentine FMAP rifle since the mid later 90’s
Always wanted a Belgian but they weren’t legal in CA
So I made mine look more like one :)

Reliability was ammo dependent once warmed up. Seemed run best on UK surplus L2A2 rounds iirc.

I’ve since added a short piston tube, but have yet to fire it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 10:57:09 PM EDT
[#10]
FMAP FAL's are still in the wild.
Not sure on the numbers but some came in while others were caught in customs and had the uppers and lowers separated and sold as parts.

FMAP Argentine receivers are quite good.

Middle rifle is a factory FMAP FAL~

Link Posted: 11/11/2021 1:09:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By ftierson:

Actually, I think that the Brits were sometimes using the Argie guns instead of their L1A1s...

Just sayin'...

Forrest
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ftierson:
Originally Posted By StealthyBlagga:

Just sayin'...

Forrest

Handled a few of the Para versions - these proved to be a popular pick up back in 1982 - I know a few folk who used them at the time, as their previous owners had suddenly become very unwell & no longer needed them
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 11:45:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Saddler:

Handled a few of the Para versions - these proved to be a popular pick up back in 1982 - I know a few folk who used them at the time, as their previous owners had suddenly become very unwell & no longer needed them
View Quote

Forrest
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 11:50:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I had an Argentine FAL some 20 years ago, IMBEL receiver. Stupidly sold it. One of the most accurate semis I've ever shot.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 1:38:24 AM EDT
[#14]
If it's preban numbers matching then you're looking at a 4k stick on par with the original Belgians.
Link Posted: 12/17/2021 7:27:54 PM EDT
[#15]
National Arms
Armscorp
Pedro Bello(IIRC)
SAC (tiniest import marks I've ever seen)
Century

Imported in a variety of configurations from barreled receivers to beautiful FALO's.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 12:04:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By 1811GNR:
National Arms
Armscorp
Pedro Bello(IIRC)
SAC (tiniest import marks I've ever seen)
Century

Imported in a variety of configurations from barreled receivers to beautiful FALO's.
View Quote

I had two National Arms imports many, many years ago. One folder and one full stock. I was so stupid when I sold them. The folder was gorgeous.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 9:17:16 AM EDT
[#17]
If it's a real Argie built FAL you should get it as long as the price isn't outrageous.

The pre ban FALs like the Argentine examples and the Springfield Armory SAR48s
built by Imbel in Brazil are amazing. Fit and finish better than an actual FN in my opinion.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 8:40:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tac556] [#18]
Yeah I think my Century “made in Canada” receiver is actually an FMAP.  of course I sold off those parts and slapped an Imbel kit on it!

Wasn’t it some Argie barrels that were made kind of off center?  (Bore not concentric to outside diameter)
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 1:12:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By tac556:
Yeah I think my Century “made in Canada” receiver is actually an FMAP.  of course I sold off those parts and slapped an Imbel kit on it!

Wasn’t it some Argie barrels that were made kind of off center?  (Bore not concentric to outside diameter)
View Quote

There were some Argy barrels that had non-concentric bores when they were cut down to Para length.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 5:35:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Snake-in-the-Grass] [#20]

The builder is key.

View Quote

Don't tell that to my factory FMAP "FAL". Armscorp import with matching serial numbers. Pre 1989.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 11:36:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Armscorp imported assembled Argentine FAL's and FALO's.

The Argentine lower receivers are investment castings, instead of stampings.

They also made FAL's to the latest Belgian specs and FN sometimes used parts from Argentina to fill orders in the last days of FAL production.

The Brazilian factory had a license, but the FAL license allowed any changes by license holders, although updates were free of charge.

H&K had strict licenses on the G3, allowing no changes and an additional full license for updates, priced at the current license fee.

The last export military contract Argentina filled for FAL's was for special stripped down rifles, with 16.5" barrels, no bolt hold open and the ejector blocks were not machined for a bolt hold open and they had fixed stocks on investment cast lower receivers.

I believe the rear sights were of the simpler folding stock type.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 4:21:04 AM EDT
[#22]
The SAC LATTA's were complete rifles that got caught up in customs when 89 ban first hit.  The took barreled uppers off and seperated the uppers and lowers and sent them to different companies to be sold.  So the lowers were marked SAC LATTAS and then you could buy a complete barreled upper which were serial numbered themselves and you would have complete "pre ban" rifle.  100% factory built rifles.  If you see SAC LATTAS lower with an upper with no serial number or serialed upper with replacement lower then you have a "built up" rifle.

If you were on it you could get factory built upper and lower and have complete factory rifle and in fact if you paid one of the salesman to look for your serial number from your upper and lower you might get lucky and have an ALL matching serial number rifle! LOL! Yes this happened more than once.  I also think they called each other and put serialed components back together to get bigger money out of them.  You will also see SAC marked lowers, it was very small lettering in up in the magwell of lower, with what ever uppers on them that were home built or SAC marked lowers with uppers marked by one of the "builders" as stated above in this post.  

Its already been said im pretty sure but there were 3 different models or so that were factory all argentine built rifles that came in preban and they started to come in the country in the middle 80's and then got caught up in customs when the ban hit.   Ive had all matching that i bought as factory built rifles, matched upper and lowers with matching serial numbers on both that were put back together and factory built upper and lowers with different serial numbers but all argentine built.   Ive seen SAC marked lowers with various different US made barreled uppers marked from different builders.

***going to be 2 part post as they consider me new and 2000 space max post so rest will be below this reply***
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 4:21:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GPRIPPERS] [#23]
The factory built rifles can be had in excellent condition for $2000-$3500 or so depending on seller and package etc.  The 2 different serial numbered rifles go for approx $1500 if you get lucky up to about $2500.  The US built rifles are still not cheap but prices are all over the board with century being the cheapest ive seen.  

The all Argentine rifles matched serial or double serial numbers are top notch rifles and every one ive owned or shot were very accurate with various surplus ammo.  DSA was one of the buyers of some of the uppers....drawing a blank on the other big one that bought a bunch of the lowers...and then SARCO had a batch of lowers they got from someone who had them sitting in a warehouse for decades in the mid 2000 teens til 2015 or 2016 or so.  

Another example of this is like what they did in 2022 and 2023 with the SIG 550 variants...you could buy a complete factory upper and then a complete factory lower and put them together to have a complete rifle.  Some sellers tried to only sell complete pistol lowers and rifle uppers if they were selling at the same time to try and abide by the laws as putting a rifle upper on pistol lower and vice verse is illegal.  Some would sell on GB rifle a lower and rifle uppers ending on same day even! LOL!  

Anyway, thats some Argentine Fal info for who ever wants to read it! LOL!
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 6:47:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Budlite12:

Not necessarily true.  You can still find A Brazilian IMBEL upper receiver out there if you look hard enough.  True, it will still be a kit gun.
And true about who builds it.  ARS is tops, I'll agree with you.  My Argy on Imbel was built by Sledgehammer, whom I'll also consider a top builde
r.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Budlite12:

The builder is key.

And true about who builds it.  ARS is tops, I'll agree with you.  My Argy on Imbel was built by Sledgehammer, whom I'll also consider a top builde
r.

He built my Imbel kit on a DSA type II, absolutly first rate build.
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 9:41:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By JohhnyCobra:
SAC Latta imports of barreled uppers and.complete lowers can be reunited or built up
View Quote

That's what I have, which I bought used in the late 90's.  I remember  about 10yrs ago their was a forum user who posted a database thread where you could enter your lower's S/N and try to find a match with another member.  I don't remember if it was here or somewhere else (FAL Files?) or if it even still exists.
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 2:09:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Attachment Attached File

My Falklands war Fal
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 5:36:08 AM EDT
[#27]
My brothers Arms Corp imported FMAP made FAL is one of the nicest I've ever seen.

It was a preban 1989 but the previous owner didn't want to register it in California so he broke it apart and it took a while to get all of the parts.

Parts started trickling in weekly until he found all of the parts.

Drove to his house out in Ventura, picked it up and beehived it out of their.

Link Posted: 2/6/2024 3:34:36 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a complete SAC Latta Argy FAL, not for sale ever but what value do they have. It is a super accurate and fyn rifle to shoot.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 2:58:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By tiger222:
I’ve had a full Argentine FMAP rifle since the mid later 90’s
Always wanted a Belgian but they weren’t legal in CA
So I made mine look more like one :)

Reliability was ammo dependent once warmed up. Seemed run best on UK surplus L2A2 rounds iirc.

I’ve since added a short piston tube, but have yet to fire it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/61015/DE71FD57-3451-4EA4-99A6-CAD07ED93271_jpe-2159533.JPG
View Quote

Nice mount. Did it cost more than a mortgage payment?
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 9:58:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By 762AP:

Nice mount. Did it cost more than a mortgage payment?
View Quote

The mount is actually a Belgian stanag that was modified to accommodate the PSG1 scope (which sadly I had to sell) however found a nice 8x56 Zeiss rail
Scope that works just as well is not better.
Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top