Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2022 4:40:00 PM EDT
Or was that only an issue with a small batch?
I remember last year there were reports of people having issues with the polymer failing with normal use.
I’m about to pull the trigger on an AUG, but this is the one thing that has me a little concerned.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 7:12:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I’ve seen total of 3 stocks from recent production with cracking issue. I think there might be a polymer blend issue or stock curing/processing issue.

This means it likely affected the entire batch instead of the few we’ve seen. However, I’ve not seen anyone else reported their stocks cracking. All of the stocks with cracking issue were with very low round count.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 8:56:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Where are they cracking?
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 9:03:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where are they cracking?
View Quote

Mostly around the takedown latch, one also separated by the rear pin.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 9:15:27 PM EDT
[#4]
How common is this problem?
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 9:43:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

As kiddsf mentioned above. It's been 3 reported cracks at this point.

I've seen them online as well.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 9:48:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've only seen 3. All posted on Reddit which one of them was a duplicated post on YT.
My friend got his AUG A3M1 in March 2020, SN is "15USAxxx".
I got my A3M1 in November 2021, SN is "24USAxxx".
If Steyr does indeed make 999 guns per SN block/batch, then that is about 9000 guns between 2020 to 2021.
Even if we halve that number, it would still be considered "rare/very uncommon".

FYI, my A3M1 has 700rds through it without an issue.
As mentioned already, all the guns with cracked stock happened pretty early with low round count.
I will keep an eye on my stock but so far so good.

Also, it is interesting how we are only seeing this on the recent guns between 2020-2022.
Other long time AUG users and myself having decade+ experience all mentioned before how this is our first time seeing this issue.
It is very unfortunate, but just like everyone else Steyr likely got affected by COVID and sourcing/QC/production issues.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 9:56:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 11:05:44 PM EDT
[#8]
The stocks aren't made when the receivers are. The only way to tell if you have a potentially affected stock vulnerable as the other few, would be to look at the date wheel on the stock.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 11:37:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What color stock?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
What color stock?

2 green, both NATO
1 white, IIRC standard.

Quoted:
The stocks aren't made when the receivers are. The only way to tell if you have a potentially affected stock vulnerable as the other few, would be to look at the date wheel on the stock.

Indeed. Those guys didn't post what the date of manufacturing are on the stocks.
From what I know, going by the date of the posts on Reddit and YT, the guns were bought in Q3 or Q4 2021.
That likely means the ones affected are early 2021 or late 2020.

Side note:
Luke Wilson at Steyr USA responded to a question about the AUG receivers with the "date wheel" marking underneath the receiver.
He said they are now using US cast blanks and finishing it in the US.
This is different than the "SWD" marked Austrian blanks they started using between 2017-2019.

Link Posted: 5/9/2022 10:29:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Were these all replaced under warranty by Steyr USA?

Quoted:
Side note:
Luke Wilson at Steyr USA responded to a question about the AUG receivers with the "date wheel" marking underneath the receiver.
This is different than the "SWD" marked Austrian blanks they started using between 2017-2019.
View Quote

I'd imagine that the stocks would be US made for 9.22r compliance, no?
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 10:54:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 11:48:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Steyr has not stated what parts are made in the USA for 922r compliance, and I do not know anyone who has stated/heard what parts are.  

The stock molds are very expensive, it would not surprise me if stocks are still made in Austria on the molds over there and smaller and less expensive parts with less expensive tooling are made here in the USA.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote
That makes sense. Good info.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 11:04:05 PM EDT
[#13]
The stock body is imported, but the trigger is US. That's why all triggers are black.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 11:46:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Steyr has not stated what parts are made in the USA for 922r compliance, and I do not know anyone who has stated/heard what parts are.  
View Quote

This is from Eric Wood in 2009: https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Steyr_Aug_A3_US_made_parts_list/43-286408/
The barrel and flash hider are made in the US, as well as the following parts:
1. Gas piston
2. Cocking body (3 pieces)
3. Receiver
4. Magazine follower
5. Magazine body
6. Magazine Floorplate
7. Trigger

Thank You
Eric Wood
Sales Manager
Steyr Arms
205-467-6544

Link Posted: 5/10/2022 12:58:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This is from Eric Wood in 2009: https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Steyr_Aug_A3_US_made_parts_list/43-286408/
The barrel and flash hider are made in the US, as well as the following parts:
1. Gas piston
2. Cocking body (3 pieces)
3. Receiver
4. Magazine follower
5. Magazine body
6. Magazine Floorplate
7. Trigger

Thank You
Eric Wood
Sales Manager
Steyr Arms
205-467-6544

View Quote

Which quickly wasn't accurate any longer once the US made mags shit the bed. I think Sven's general point is that we really have no idea what the US made parts are. It's easy to guess which parts here and there are US made, but we don't know and in the end we have AUGs in the USA, that's good enough for me...
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 1:12:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Were these all replaced under warranty by Steyr USA?

Quoted:
Side note:
View Quote

I'd imagine that the stocks would be US made for 9.22r compliance, no?
View Quote

I know 2 of the 3 stocks were replaced by Steyr USA. I didn't keep track on the last one.

As for the origin of the stocks...
I have Sabre Defense A3, Vltor A3, and current "date wheel"(not SWD marked) A3M1 rifles.
They all have the same exterior Steyr marking, the interior date wheel, and the "Z" or "N" marking next to the date wheel.
I'm pretty sure the stocks are still Steyr Austrian made.

FYI, my preban A1s and postban USRs also have the same "Z" or "N" marking inside the stock at the buttplate end.
Though, they don't have a date wheel like the A3 and A3M1 stocks.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:38:14 AM EDT
[#17]
I was looking a few AUGs at Scheels and noted that the only Austrian marked stock was a black one.  The Mud and Green were both naked of any markings at all.  Over on the FB Steyr Owners page that I lurk on, I've seen a few reports of cracked stocks and even a cracked receiver on a new rifle.  My enthusiasm to get another AUG has been waning as of late.  I think I will bide my time.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 12:51:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I was looking a few AUGs at Scheels and noted that the only Austrian marked stock was a black one.  The Mud and Green were both naked of any markings at all.  Over on the FB Steyr Owners page that I lurk on, I've seen a few reports of cracked stocks and even a cracked receiver on a new rifle.  My enthusiasm to get another AUG has been waning as of late.  I think I will bide my time.
View Quote

I'm in the same FB group.
There is only 1 cracked receiver from the owner that bought it used and he did say Steyr is working with him on this.
Other posters that posted after that person were just false alarms. They thought the tiny surface imperfection on their cast receiver has a hairline crack, but this is not true as the guys already found out and discussed.

As for the stocks, from the more recent production guns, I have black A3 and green A3M1.
The A3 is the very first batch of guns from Steyr using Sabre Defense receiver and barrel, having "1USAxxx" SN. The A3M1 was purchased back in November 2021, "24USAxxx".
They both have the same Steyr marking on the right side of the stock, and as mentioned earlier, they also have the same date wheel marking and "N" marking on the inside face.

FYI, the 2 of the 3 stocks I've seen with cracking issue have Steyr marking on the side as well.
The 3rd, a white stock, is b/c the poster didn't show the full view of the stock but I'm pretty sure it will have the Steyr marking like other white stocks.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:12:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

There is only 1 cracked receiver from the owner that bought it used and he did say Steyr is working with him on this.
Other posters that posted after that person were just false alarms. They thought the tiny surface imperfection on their cast receiver has a hairline crack, but this is not true as the guys already found out and discussed.

As for the stocks, from the more recent production guns, I have black A3 and green A3M1.
The A3 is the very first batch of guns from Steyr using Sabre Defense receiver and barrel, having "1USAxxx" SN. The A3M1 was purchased back in November 2021, "24USAxxx".
They both have the same Steyr marking on the right side of the stock, and as mentioned earlier, they also have the same date wheel marking and "N" marking on the inside face.

FYI, the 2 of the 3 stocks I've seen with cracking issue have Steyr marking on the side as well.
The 3rd, a white stock, is b/c the poster didn't show the full view of the stock but I'm pretty sure it will have the Steyr marking like other white stocks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's good news.   I thought I read that it was new/newer receiver and I clearly missed the part that it was purchased used.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 12:31:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Got a green original mag Aug on the way.
Rolled the dice since it seems like only a handful have had issues out of what I'm sure has been a ton of rifles sold over the past few years.
But... what exactly should I look for to narrow down if it might be from the problem timeframe?
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 12:39:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
what exactly should I look for to narrow down if it might be from the problem timeframe?
View Quote
Cracks

I'm sure Steyr will take care of you, if any develop.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 1:35:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
But... what exactly should I look for to narrow down if it might be from the problem timeframe?
View Quote

If we really want to capture a timeframe, like I mentioned earlier it is 2020-2021. I've not seen any issues with earlier guns.
I think it is safe to assume it is COVID related. Just like everyone else, Steyr was affected.
That said, my recent A3M1 was purchased November 2021, stock is 11/2020, receiver is 07/2020. No issues after 700rds
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top