Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2019 10:36:22 PM EDT
Does it need it done like the I2?
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 11:22:37 PM EDT
[#1]
ATPIAL's do not require positive loading when zeroing.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 12:00:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ATPIAL's do not require positive loading when zeroing.
View Quote
Per the L3s manual 2-12 it does require positive loading.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 12:40:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Initial bore sighting method it is recommended but it isn't needed after fine tune zeroing where you go an additional 8 clicks and then back again like with the I2.  That's what I took from the question but perhaps you're correct and the OP meant the initial turret adjustments before zeroing takes place.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 8:29:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Can someone explain what is being discussed here?  Is the positive loading mentioned the same as indexing an optic mount pressed forward on 1913 rails when securing so you see no movement under recoil?
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 8:36:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Can someone explain what is being discussed here?  Is the positive loading mentioned the same as indexing an optic mount pressed forward on 1913 rails when securing so you see no movement under recoil?
View Quote
Fromm the thread below
https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Zeroing-of-DBAL-units---Positive-Loading-/18-472229/
You see, a DBAL uses what’s called “positive loading,” which means that for every click in windage or elevation adjustment you make in a counterclockwise motion, you have to then go another 8 clicks further and then back the opposite direction another 8 clicks, returning to your originally desired setting.

It takes an engineer to explain the purpose of this, but the short answer is because the spring is being compressed on a counterclockwise movement, you have to go through that pre-mission checklist to ensure the setting isn’t going to back out. At least that’s how I understand it to be. Maybe an engineer can chime in here.

Yes, in case you’re wondering, those positive pressure steps are clearly outlined in the instruction manual. Of course I didn’t read the manual, so it immediately made perfect sense to me why my DBAL wasn’t holding a zero. This is obviously very annoying and I personally witnessed other things the DBAL-i2 is known for and that’s jumping around all over the place.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 8:42:47 AM EDT
[#6]
They are talking about making adjustments with the elevation and windage knobs.

Say you want to go UP two clicks and left two clicks. You would go UP ten clicks and then back DOWN 8 clicks. Then LEFT 10 clicks, back RIGHT 8 clicks. Net clicks 2,2.

The adjusters are spring loaded going both ways, you need to add a load to the spring sufficient to overcome the opposite directions equal spring.

Firing a shot will usually reseat the reticle correctly if you didnt before
I'm convinced this is the reason why some people just chase their zero around  sometimes at the range.

With my ACOG/hardened optics I always rap my knuckles decently hard on the adjusters after to deliver some shock.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 11:55:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Per the L3s manual 2-12 it does require positive loading.
View Quote
If manual states this then that is the definitive answer. Does it state 8 clicks?( Mine is used no manual.)
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 12:16:36 PM EDT
[#8]
From the user manual - only needed when making a counter clockwise adjustment

3.3 PLACING A POSITIVE LOAD ON THE ADJUSTERS
CAUTION
DO NOT over-adjust the adjusters by forcing them beyond
their end of travel.
NOTE
ALWAYS Boresight/Zero the DBAL-D2 starting with the
Adjuster marked D/U.
When moving the adjusters, make sure that the adjustment
mechanism has engaged a detent and has not stopped
between detents. Failure to properly engage a detent may
impact accuracy as the laser may move when the weapon is
fired.
Positive Load is required anytime an adjustment to visible
pointer/IR pointer is made in a CCW direction. A Positive
Load is not required when making a CW adjustment.
3-17
Positive Load is the controlled compression of the spring within the
adjuster mechanism to insure the highest level of accuracy is
maintained after the weapon is Boresighted or Zeroed.
When adjusting in a CCW direction, apply a positive load to the
adjuster by turning an additional ¼ turn (8 clicks) CCW, then make
the final adjustment by turning the adjuster CW. For example, to
move the adjuster one (1) click CCW, turn the adjuster CCW 8 clicks
and then turn it CW 7 clicks to the new position.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 12:34:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If manual states this then that is the definitive answer. Does it state 8 clicks?( Mine is used no manual.)
View Quote
L3 method is different. Google search PEQ 15 manual and you'll find several links and PDF downloads.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 4:00:49 PM EDT
[#10]
So dumb
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 9:22:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Lol indeed

Quoted:
So dumb
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top