Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2019 10:58:57 PM EDT
I'm looking at doing one of the CSAT pistol/rifle classes, and my go-to right now is my MCX.

Anyone done one with theirs yet?

I never did the carrier upgrade/recall, but I'm debating about doing it now. But of course, I have more spare parts now than I do if I would send in the carrier. (AR bolt, firing pin, firing pin retaining pin)

I do have an extra charging handle, too. I've heard of one break in a course.

And I'll bring an AR for backup, unless someone wants to sell me a Virtus for way less than its worth.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 8:06:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Not done a class with one yet, but I have shot a couple of two-gun matches... For whatever that's worth. It worked well.

Question for you (because I've never tried): If you DID do the recall, couldn't you pull off the firing pin safety latch and just go back to using an AR pin and bolt?

I HAVE pulled my safety latch before, for trigger compatibility reasons, and it worked great. I only shoot 556 with hard primers. Now I have an MCX specific trigger so I put the latch back on just for the hell of it.
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 6:45:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I have.
It did fine.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 11:47:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I was an instructor at CSAT for many years, and although I primarily used AR rifles, I did the shoot house instructor class with an MCX. Ran like a champ.

You will have no issues using the MCX on any class I can think of.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 9:00:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was an instructor at CSAT for many years, and although I primarily used AR rifles, I did the shoot house instructor class with an MCX. Ran like a champ.

You will have no issues using the MCX on any class I can think of.
View Quote
Listen to this man.

Also, i've ran mine in multiple courses - both as a student and a teacher - never had the first issue.

I have a class next week that i'll be running an MCX in.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 9:28:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Can’t speak to the weapon, but all of Paul‘s classes have been outstanding.  Good choice.
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 4:59:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Attachment Attached File

It survived. No malfunctions.

And it got pretty hot, too.
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 11:10:45 PM EDT
[#7]
So it went great. It seemed like no one had seen one there before.

I have a 3.5x ACOG on it, and while it's great for longer ranges, it is not as fast as a red dot at close range. But when we shot longer distance, I had much better speed and first hit percentage.

Zero malfunctions. Very dirty due to the suppressor. I started off using my Radian handle, but went back to the stock one partway through. The amount of gas that escapes through the side without the latch is bothersome, and the stock handle keeps it at a minimum.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 9:55:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So it went great. It seemed like no one had seen one there before.

I have a 3.5x ACOG on it, and while it's great for longer ranges, it is not as fast as a red dot at close range. But when we shot longer distance, I had much better speed and first hit percentage.

Zero malfunctions. Very dirty due to the suppressor. I started off using my Radian handle, but went back to the stock one partway through. The amount of gas that escapes through the side without the latch is bothersome, and the stock handle keeps it at a minimum.
View Quote
How many rounds fired in the class? Have to add any lube, during the class?
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 10:31:49 AM EDT
[#9]
I think I fired close to 400 rounds. About 120-150 of them were in rapid succession during the close range drills. I'm pretty certain that's Rocksett (the white stuff) that bubbled out of the muzzle brake. The whole brake is discolored from the heat.

I added a bit of lube onto the bearing surfaces during breaks because it's what I would call a continuing action. The only place where it really needed it was the charging handle, just to make it a little smoother. I have a Magpul K2+ grip on it, and I have an oil bottle in there with CLP in it. It's actually from whom I believe does the OEM for Magpul, but it cost me about $0.75 instead of 14 bucks or whatever. I can find the site and model number if anyone's interested.

All rounds were suppressed. Polite people use cans.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 11:05:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the update. I've been debating on getting a MCX for a bit now, ever since I picked up a MPX. Kinda go well together.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 8:12:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks for the update. I've been debating on getting a MCX for a bit now, ever since I picked up a MPX. Kinda go well together.
View Quote
You'll love the MCX.
Mine is my primary SBR
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 1:13:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You'll love the MCX.
Mine is my primary SBR
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You'll love the MCX.
Mine is my primary SBR
300BO or the 11.5 5.56? How does it compare to a SBR AR? I've shot a 16" legacy MCX but never s Virtus or SBR.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 1:24:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Love my MCX and MPX

I'm interested in what bottle you use in the grip for CLP...?
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 1:43:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

300BO or the 11.5 5.56? How does it compare to a SBR AR? I've shot a 16" legacy MCX but never s Virtus or SBR.
View Quote
Mine started life as a 16" legacy 556.
I cut the barrel to 11.5". I have a barrel for 300blk but haven't cut it yet, it's on my list of projects.

I like it better as an SBR, with an 11.5" barrel and the stock folded, it's very small and easy to carry.
I run it primarily suppressed. It does get a little gassy but not to bad. A DI AR is worse.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 2:45:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I cut the barrel to 11.5". I have a barrel for 300blk but haven't cut it yet, it's on my list of projects.

I like it better as an SBR, with an 11.5" barrel and the stock folded, it's very small and easy to carry.
I run it primarily suppressed. It does get a little gassy but not to bad. A DI AR is worse.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the info, definitely need to look into it. Currently have a 11.5 Commando and 10.3 DD with LMT EBCG but I've been eyeing the 11.5 Virtus now for months. Something about the package looks perfect, especially with the ability to fold the stock.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 3:41:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Love my MCX and MPX

I'm interested in what bottle you use in the grip for CLP...?
View Quote
Looks like they changed the part numbers around, but I think that it's:

Bottle

Cap
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 8:23:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Yes, suppressed MCX pistol in .300 BLK; wasn't a heavy-fire course, mostly transition drills, but it worked and shot great and I even managed not to give myself any new scars with the hot can
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 7:34:48 PM EDT
[#18]
If .300blk was cheaper, I may have tried to do it with my Rattler, just for grins.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top