Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2023 3:55:08 PM EDT
Just out of curiosity, thought about BP hunting and how my 1860 in a crossdraw rig might be cool to go with the 54 caliber Renegade. Do you have one, use it, and what do you think of it?
Thank you for your replies.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 7:17:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Guess not. Oh well, thanks for looking!
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 10:07:53 PM EDT
[#2]
My 1858 is "just" a range toy...

That said... I now know what I'm doing this summer.  Working on my accuracy so I can use it for ML season to go after turkey.

And I think the "correct" holster is actually a crossdraw style when worn properly... but I've never worried about playing accurate dress up for old western days or anything like that either...
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 10:24:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Calvary holsters had the butt facing forward, so if you were a lefty, they were all cross draw.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavalry_draw
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 9:06:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Not playing dress up. Just looking for suggestions that work, a tough rig for walking in the desert down here. But thank you for your replies.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 2:40:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a Triple K holster that is well made. I don't use it cross-draw but it would work for that.

Be aware that a BP revolver is not a legal hunting gun during AZ muzzleloader hunting season. AZ specifies the gun must load through the muzzle and have only one chamber. I'm not sure what the law says about carrying a defensive firearm during muzzleloader season, its possible that a BP revolver can be carried in that role legally.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 4:39:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Best way to carry OP. Lots of options out there.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 3:03:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a Triple K holster that is well made. I don't use it cross-draw but it would work for that.

Be aware that a BP revolver is not a legal hunting gun during AZ muzzleloader hunting season. AZ specifies the gun must load through the muzzle and have only one chamber. I'm not sure what the law says about carrying a defensive firearm during muzzleloader season, its possible that a BP revolver can be carried in that role legally.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

In a word, yes. We can even carry modern sidearms during archery season.
BTW, regs say there are TWO legal methods of take with black powder, rifle AND revolver. If I was hunting only in muzzle loader season, then no, the revolver wouldn't be a legal method of take, but there are seasons when both of them are perfectly legal. If I was insane, BP wheel gun is legal for bear, lion AND elk. Not that nuts. For cottontail, jackrabbit and coyote, perfectly legal.
Edit to add, the actual law is https://www.azleg.gov/viewdocument/?docName=https://www.azleg.gov/ars/17/00305.htm
17-305. Possession of other weapons while hunting; violation; classification

A. The possession of legal weapons, devices, ammunition or magazines, which are not authorized to take wildlife, is not prohibited while hunting if the weapon or device is not used to take wildlife.

B. Taking wildlife by using a weapon, device, ammunition or magazine that is not authorized to take wildlife is a class 1 misdemeanor.

For grins and giggles, look at the regs - every game animal has a picture...but the Mountain Lion's picture looks like a mugshot.
https://azgfd-portal-wordpress-pantheon.s3.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/archive/2022-Arizona-Hunting-Regulations_230206.pdf
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 9:01:17 AM EDT
[#8]
There's some nice looking rigs on Etsy.

I've got a generic cavalry holster which I might want since it's covered. It's probably less important to you in az though.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 8:54:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Can't honestly say I've put them to practical use other than playing around at the range, but I've got some Triple K and El Paso Saddery leather.  Triple K's cross draw accepts 1851s and 1860s and can be found for $30-40. El Paso Saddlery's stuff is more expensive but better quality. I found the black El Paso Saddlery holster pictured below on Ebay.  It's a crossdraw "1849 Californian" that fits the 1851 like a glove.

Link Posted: 3/17/2023 5:30:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I use the right-handed leather holster for my Smith & Wesson Model 29, in the cross-draw position, for my 1860 Army.  

One thing I learned doing that for hunting last season: since the holster doesn't have a top flap cover, you run the risk of branches/stems/vines/etc sweeping along your side and stripping the percussion caps off of your nipples.  I lost at least three caps that way during a single day out in the field.  :-/

I'm not spending $60 on a new holster, though; I am going to experiment with wrapping electrical tape around the cylinder to better secure the caps the next time I hit the range.
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 7:32:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Interesting idea, would like to know what you find out.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 10:45:57 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a pair of Triple K slim jim holsters from Cabela's that can be worn strong side of cross draw. They are functional but not very good looking. I just don't care for that reddish leather finish used on them.  
https://www.triplek.com/product/313-california-slim-jim-holster/

I use these for my pair of 1860 Army Revolvers or 1851 Navy Revolvers.

Attachment Attached File

I have CW Flap Holster for my Remington 1858. It's a pretty nice heavy duty holster.

Attachment Attached File

It came from Fall Creek Sutler 20 years ago:
https://fcsutler.com/fcleather.asp
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 2:45:37 AM EDT
[#13]
That is very nice, indeed.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 2:35:56 PM EDT
[#14]
I use the same Triple K slim Jim’s, and use them cross draw.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 2:38:59 PM EDT
[#15]
There are tons of makers out there that will build you what you want, from plain to fancy.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 9:47:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Errol Flynn liked cross draw:

Link Posted: 4/5/2023 9:49:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Which movie was that?
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 2:09:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Which movie was that?
View Quote

"San Antonio", I think...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top