Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2024 11:46:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dcs12345]
I got a box Hornady 158 gr. SWC/HP from a friend.  I’m just getting into reloading for .38 special and the only pistol powder I have on hand is True Blue that I’ve been using for 9mm.

Does anyone have a load they like for just plinking with a 38 special using True Blue and hornady’s swaged lead 158 gr. SWC?  If it matters, it will mostly be used out of a 3” barrel.

Link Posted: 3/19/2024 12:08:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 3:28:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MRW:
Western manual says 158gr lead SWC starts at 5.0gr at 912fps and max is 5.6 gr at 1013fps
View Quote

Thanks. I should be getting my new Lyman manual in a day or two. I think I’ll just do 5 gr unless I see something vastly different.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:34:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Got my Lyman book.  It has other lead bullets of the same weight at a lighter load…starting at 4.3 and a max of 4.8 (still low velocity at the max, sub 900 and 16k-ish pressure out of a 4” barrel)

I think I might just try 4.5 and see what happens.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top