Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 7:18:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I watched the TFB video, and it looked as if the charging handle ended up in the rear when the bolt locked open.

Instead of watching more videos, I was at the range w/ my FoldAR, and I can only get it to run w/ a can on.  Got to open up the front gas block.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 7:40:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SpankMonkey] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By zaitcev:
I watched Mrgunsngear review on Rumble and I made two observations:

1. There's only one instance of him running out of ammunition, and it's a bit hard to see what happens, because it immediately rotates the gun away, but looking under the right hand one can see the charging handle remaining in front. Also, there's some slow-motion footage of shooting and the handle definitely does not reciprocate.

2. Everyone else has no issue charging using either of the "wings". Grabbing with two finger salute is not required.

I think the plastic nub on the handle of Mrgunsngear's unit broke. Perhaps it does not only attach the handle to the bolt to make it reciprocating, but also aligns the handle to prevent tilting.
View Quote

Ask him. He posted two spots above your post.

@zaitcev
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 8:50:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Mrgunsngear:  There's no reciprocating charging handle; at least not on mine....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkmOXCE7ioA
View Quote

That's a good review.

In @Obey's video, @ 2:36 you can see the charging handle move to the rear just a bit when he fires:

NEW Folding Carbine from Smith & Wesson: The FPC

And again around 5:17, the charging handle is moving, though seemingly not with every shot.

Ok, finally caught James out of ammo, bolt locks open w/ the charging handle forward.  But sometimes the charging handle bounces a little to the rear, that's why I thought it was reciprocating.
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 10:35:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zaitcev] [#4]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
And again around 5:17, the charging handle is moving, though seemingly not with every shot.

Ok, finally caught James out of ammo, bolt locks open w/ the charging handle forward.
View Quote

This inconsistency is consistent with the video by Honest Outlaw. Sometimes the handle moves with the bolt when shooting, sometimes it does not. AND, once it locked open with the handle forward (at the beginning) and once with handle to the rear (at 7:12).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLRWv3llirU

I do note though that he has a beard. He'd mention it if the handle were a beard grabber.
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 10:46:14 PM EDT
[#5]

This inconsistency is consistent with the video by Honest Outlaw. Sometimes the handle moves with the bolt when shooting, sometimes it does not. AND, once it locked open with the handle forward (at the beginning) and once with handle to the rear (at 7:12).

I do note though that he has a beard. He'd mention it if the handle were a beard grabber.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Ok, finally caught James out of ammo, bolt locks open w/ the charging handle forward.

New S&W Folding 9mm Carbine: M&P FPC First Shots

Yep, I've revised my summation above - point to Smith & Wesson.  Looks like Obey was able to run the charging handle one fingered while MrGunsnGear insists it must be two-fingered.

Obey seems to not understand the handiness of a 16" Title 1 rifle, and MrGunsnGear suggests you add a flash hider, b/c why not.

The whole point of the SUB, the S&W, the Ruger PCC, & the 16" bbl Fold AR is to have a takedown Title 1 rifle that is so incredibly compact you can have it in a small backpack that anti-gun liberals would never suspect you have a rifle there.  In Texas we have legal no pistol signs put up by shopowners, and a Title 1 rifle sails right past em.  If you're in a state whose game laws forbid you to carry a loaded rifle about, these aren't much use to you.  If you're not, depending on how your state law was written, they may be very handy from a legal perspective.

I pulled my flash hider off my FoldAR bbl, b/c it adds a full inch to the folded length of the rifle.  The flash through the 5X magnifier was impressive.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 5:40:10 PM EDT
[#6]
The NEW Smith & Wesson 9mm Carbine!!!
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 6:46:58 PM EDT
[#7]
This the video that kicked everything off?

The New Smith & Wesson FPC - Folding Pistol Carbine
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 6:48:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Now Lipsey's:

Lipsey's Video Review: Smith & Wesson FPC - Folding Pistol Carbine
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 8:13:27 PM EDT
[#9]
So does the CH reciprocate or not? It sure does look that way in the videos I’ve seen.  This is one of the biggest complaints I have with the Sub2K (other than the inability to mount a red dot), as the steel reciprocating charging handle on it bruised my hand on more than one occasion. This gun has a lot of promise in my opinion, too bad it doesn’t take glock mags
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 9:18:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By GimmeLibertee:
So does the CH reciprocate or not?
View Quote

Looks to me like it "floats free". IE... if you lock the bolt back the CH could be moved back & forth freely. It is only held forward by the recoil spring. So sometimes when shooting or manipulating the gun it seems to move rearward like it is linked to the bolt when it's not. I'm betting there is no "catch" on it as is on an AR that locks the CH in place.
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 9:30:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HEATH223] [#11]
Now Lipsey's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcjcNCVXUss
View Quote

At 6:05 in this video he's shoots it with his hand resting against the CH. Looks like it moves a little but if it was attached to the bolt he would not have his hand there. Also in the video with Ava at 5:37 it does appear that the CH does indeed "latch" to the frame.
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 11:22:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By HEATH223:

Looks to me like it "floats free". IE... if you lock the bolt back the CH could be moved back & forth freely. It is only held forward by the recoil spring. So sometimes when shooting or manipulating the gun it seems to move rearward like it is linked to the bolt when it's not. I'm betting there is no "catch" on it as is on an AR that locks the CH in place.
View Quote

That's my take as well.  It comes back on the last round for sure though.  Should have clarified that in my earlier post...
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 11:36:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Mrgunsngear:

That's my take as well.  It comes back on the last round for sure though.  Should have clarified that in my earlier post...
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mrgunsngear:
Originally Posted By HEATH223:  Looks to me like it "floats free". IE... if you lock the bolt back the CH could be moved back & forth freely. It is only held forward by the recoil spring. So sometimes when shooting or manipulating the gun it seems to move rearward like it is linked to the bolt when it's not. I'm betting there is no "catch" on it as is on an AR that locks the CH in place.

Appreciate you taking the time to post.  It's weird that it's non-reciprocating until the mag is empty.  It means you only have to pull back a little bit on the charging slide after your reload, but does it also mean you won't get a clean ejection of the last round if for some reason you're riding the charging slide?
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 11:57:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 12:50:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 1:45:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Manticore_Arms:  Looks like S&W is just dragging through the Kel Tec catalog for new product ideas these days, lol.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

I mean, so have Ruger and Taurus, so perhaps S&W is trying to keep pace w/ its Brazilian brother?
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 6:29:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Man, the more videos I watch on this thing, the more I want one. Looks like they did a great job.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 12:42:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Yep S&W is trolling keltec by fixing the things that suck on their designs. How can we make this better, thanks S&W.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 10:04:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Chipper44mag:  Yep S&W is trolling keltec by fixing the things that suck on their designs. How can we make this better, thanks S&W.
View Quote

This might be a win, by what I've heard, the original twin mag bullpup shotgun is the better one.  I don't think S&W hit it out of the park that time.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 7:24:45 PM EDT
[#20]
This might be a win, by what I've heard, the original twin mag bullpup shotgun is the better one.  I don't think S&W hit it out of the park that time.
View Quote

Of course an improvement is not a given. Come to think of it, a number of companies aside from Ruger copied KelTec P-3AT. Diamondback and IO did for sure. But we don't hear much about those because their offerings were worse than the original KelTec product.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 11:14:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#21]

Of course an improvement is not a given. Come to think of it, a number of companies aside from Ruger copied KelTec P-3AT. Diamondback and IO did for sure. But we don't hear much about those because their offerings were worse than the original KelTec product.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  This might be a win, by what I've heard, the original twin mag bullpup shotgun is the better one.  I don't think S&W hit it out of the park that time.

I was only tracking the Ruger & Taurus near exact copies (except for the mag catch) of the P-3AT.  Diamondback & IO did as well?  The SCCY is a relatively close copy of the KelTec P-11.

ETA:  Interesting - I found reviews of the IO, looked to be a well made clone.  Do the Diamondback mags fit anything else?  I'm looking for .380 ACP guns that share mags, and the only ones I've come up w/ are the Walther PP/PPK & the HiPoint pistol & carbine.  The Ruger is such a close clone of the KelTec the LCP slide will fit on a P-3AT frame, but the mags between the Ruger, Taurus, & KelTec won't interchange w/o cutting a new mag catch.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 12:39:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ChickenDaddy] [#22]
Is the stock adjutable?
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 5:17:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By ChickenDaddy:
I pre ordered one of these today.’
Is the stock adjutable?
View Quote

Nope.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 10:25:37 AM EDT
[#24]
How long will it take for some industrious person to make a replacement Glock grip module?
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 1:23:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Chipper44mag:
Yep S&W is trolling keltec by fixing the things that suck on their designs. How can we make this better, thanks S&W.
View Quote

Now fix the rdb
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 1:12:39 PM EDT
[#26]
It's like they looked at the Sub-2000 in all it's ugliness and told their designers to go full rested and make theirs even uglier.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 1:24:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Utahshooting:  It's like they looked at the Sub-2000 in all it's ugliness and told their designers to go full rested and make theirs even uglier.
View Quote

Why don't you show us your hand-rubbed oiled Marlin Camp 9 stock?
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 9:33:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Jack_Rackham:
How long will it take for some industrious person to make a replacement Glock grip module?
View Quote

It really depends on the business plan.

I can spin up a design and production in a couple of months, assuming a contract MJF process in Nylon somewhere like Forecast3D. But it's going to cost $400..500. Very few people will buy at that price. To make matters worse, the gun itself is very cheap. A $500 accessory would make perhaps some sense on a $2000 gun, but not on a $600 gun.

The cost-effetive way is to make it is injection molding, but the mold of this size and complexity is going to check in at at least $20k. It will also require interation in design. Either way it's a very high startup cost. I don't have much experience with something like this.
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 11:14:00 PM EDT
[#29]

I can spin up a design and production in a couple of months, assuming a contract MJF process in Nylon somewhere like Forecast3D. But it's going to cost $400..500. Very few people will buy at that price. To make matters worse, the gun itself is very cheap. A $500 accessory would make perhaps some sense on a $2000 gun, but not on a $600 gun.

The cost-effetive way is to make it is injection molding, but the mold of this size and complexity is going to check in at at least $20k. It will also require interation in design. Either way it's a very high startup cost. I don't have much experience with something like this.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jack_Rackham:  How long will it take for some industrious person to make a replacement Glock grip module?

Someone will CAD a 3-D print design, and it'll go through a few iterations, til it gets to something that most folks can print & works.  That will insure no one makes an injection molded adapter.
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 11:17:26 PM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Utahshooting:  It's like they looked at the Sub-2000 in all it's ugliness and told their designers to go full rested and make theirs even uglier.

Bro Sub2k's are ugly for sure and this thing is at least a kissing cousin.
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 11:19:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

View All Quotes

SUB-2000s are beautiful rifles as they sail past No Pistol signs in their burkas.  Form Follows Function.  Do you want a walnut & steel 7 lb brick in your sling bag that no one can admire?
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 1:57:06 AM EDT
[#32]

SUB-2000s are beautiful rifles as they sail past No Pistol signs in their burkas.  Form Follows Function.  Do you want a walnut & steel 7 lb brick in your sling bag that no one can admire?
View All Quotes

I love my Subs but they ugly
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 10:37:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By stre-tch:

Now fix the rdb
View Quote

An updated RDB and RFB by a company that will actually make a bunch would be pretty cool.
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 11:41:58 PM EDT
[#34]
The worst thing about this rifle (maybe) is the bolt release.  I see an aftermarket replaced or S&W will fix it on the 2.0 version.  I think I will use the charging handle instead to release the bolt, assuming I can afford to fire 17+ rounds of 9mm at once

It seems like a pretty good house gun with 60+ rounds on board.

What would be a good light/laser combo?  Maybe an Odin GL M-LOK?
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 11:49:02 PM EDT
[#35]
I handled one at the LGS the other day.  I liked the way it handled, but the bolt release was terrible!!!!!  It was light, felt good in the hand and the trigger wasn't bad.  All and all, it's not a bad little PCC.  If I weren't messing with an AR9 SBR I might have considered one.  Hopefully the after market will come up with a bolt release.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 7:12:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Saw 2 at the gunshow this weekend $699 & $799 at 2 different booths. I was soooo tempted to get it but just couldn't justify it at that price. If these get into the $550 range I'll pick one up otherwise I'll pass.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 11:38:15 PM EDT
[#37]
My first thought exactly.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top