Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2021 4:28:36 AM EDT
I have the AR magazine 5.56 model. Would like choices to replace stock add qd attachments. Thanks for help finding another stock.
Going to put a 6x scope on it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:06:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I thought you were asking for instructions to shorten the barrel. I have a 308 and was interested, because I think it's too thin to thread for a suppressor.
There are a few options in stocks but they are all very pricey.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:09:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I thought you were asking for instructions to shorten the barrel. I have a 308 and was interested, because I think it's too thin to thread for a suppressor.
View Quote

@high_order1

Pretty sure Morgan would be able to cut, crown, and thread the RAR.

He does absolutely gorgeous work, very highly recommended.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Equipment-Exchange/Barrel-Threading-sale-50-PTR-91-Aug-Scar-Sig-MPX-Beretta-21A-FAL-PAPM92-Pin-and-Welds/143-1029861/?page=68&sc=0#i5823727
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:59:57 PM EDT
[#3]
For some reason Ruger made a nice handy rifle for 7 ft. Gangly armed shooters. You would think with everything in proportion the length of pull would be about 13 inches. Especially when you have to work the bolt. Original factory stock rides on my shoulder and moves the entire rifle while working the action. My other bolt action doesn't do that but it's on a chassis and doesn't move much.
Trying to figure out how to shorten the material and keep the rubber butt pad. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:04:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
For some reason Ruger made a nice handy rifle for 7 ft. Gangly armed shooters. You would think with everything in proportion the length of pull would be about 13 inches. Especially when you have to work the bolt. Original factory stock rides on my shoulder and moves the entire rifle while working the action. My other bolt action doesn't do that but it's on a chassis and doesn't move much.
Trying to figure out how to shorten the material and keep the rubber butt pad. Thanks.
View Quote

When Ruger introduces another caliber RARR, they typically also offer a compact version (shorter stock) for a few months and then discontinue it.  They have also offered, at least in the past, the shorter stock by itself in black.  The length of pull will be something like 12.5" instead of 13.x".  I've been able to obtain the short stocked 350, 5.56, and Blackout RARR's, but they are hard to obtain unless ordered right as introduced.    

Just checked the shop ruger website; compact stock not listed.  In that case, I'd call Ruger and ask when it will be back in stock...you never know, you might run into a very supportive employee who happens to know of one to send you.  Another thought is go to the Tell The CEO Ruger website and tell the CEO politely what you want and why.  In the case of a part for my SR556 Takedown (that Ruger policy was not to ship a customer, but I saw no reason not to ship it), the CEO then called their NC factory and told a manager to make it happen, and I got a call from the manager...it did take about 5 months, as they were going to put the machine that was used to make it into storage, but I got my extra part.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:50:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

The butt pad may be attached with glue and not screws.  If it's attached with screws making it short isn't a problem if you have a table saw.  I did it with an after market laminated Mini stock.   If it is attached with glue you will have to replace the but pad with an after market pad.  You can grind one to shape with a bench grinder.  Mark it out first with a silver magic marker and then slowly shape it.  Brownells sells after market but pads that are grind to fit.

kwg
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:38:21 PM EDT
[#6]
A handful of chassis out there that have adjustable stocks or accept AR adjustable stocks.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:44:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 11:55:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

@high_order1

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Equipment-Exchange/Barrel-Threading-sale-50-PTR-91-Aug-Scar-Sig-MPX-Beretta-21A-FAL-PAPM92-Pin-and-Welds/143-1029861/?page=68&sc=0#i5823727
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@high_order1

I had him do my .308. Cost about $80 in total and I had it back in like a week. I removed it from the receiver myself to reduce the cost. He had to thread it 1/2-28, but apparently this was common on older rifles with thinner barrels. It does deflect a bit because it's so thin, but my suppressor is a pig. All steel and 11" long. If you have a lighter, shorter suppressor or you will always shoot it suppressed, it would be beneficial. I do wish I had a bull barrel.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 10:59:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I had him do my .308. Cost about $80 in total and I had it back in like a week. I removed it from the receiver myself to reduce the cost. He had to thread it 1/2-28, but apparently this was common on older rifles with thinner barrels. It does deflect a bit because it's so thin, but my suppressor is a pig. All steel and 11" long. If you have a lighter, shorter suppressor or you will always shoot it suppressed, it would be beneficial. I do wish I had a bull barrel.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@high_order1

These have heavier barrels, but you'd have to buy another rifle.
This is from the 20" .308-
Heavy-contour (.850" at the muzzle) barrel features a Ruger Precision® Rifle Hybrid Muzzle Brake to effectively reduce recoil while minimizing noise and blast to the sides of the shooter.

https://ruger.com/products/americanRifleHunter/models.html?n=bolt
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 9:20:38 AM EDT
[#10]
does anyone know if the Magpul stock will fit on a Ruger American Ranch?
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 2:54:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought the youth sized version for this reason.  It has 1 inch shorter LOP, IIRC.  Maybe you can find someone who's kid got bigger and wants to swap.
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 2:56:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Magpul has a new stock coming out this year. Looks great. What scope do you recommend for the 223 model?
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 5:18:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Magpul has a new stock coming out this year. Looks great. What scope do you recommend for the 223 model?
View Quote

I have a Vortex Viper PST gen 2 1-6 on mine, and I really like it overall. My one beef with the scope is at the lowest illumination setting, the reticle still is too bright for night shooting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top