Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/19/2024 8:14:45 PM EDT
I bought one of them Snap Safe hot rods, same concept like the Golden Rod or MAX Safes rod. Only problem is, after I removed the wall outlet from the cable to feed it through the small hole in my safe, I can't remember the orientation of the polarization that I put the cap back onto the cable (i.e., neutral or line out ends on the outlet plug cap in relation to the cable's 2 lines).

How would you know if the rod is working correctly, in terms of the temperature it should be? If it was improperly connected, one might expect a different temperature indicating that a resistive element of some kind is burnt out, or lukewarm/ambient room temperature instead upon touching it...
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 10:56:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoshNC] [#1]
I prefer a PEET Safe Dryer. It works better than a Golden Rod.

If using a Golden Rod, simply touch it and see if it’s warm.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 1:24:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HotLead] [#2]
Should be warm to the touch but cool enough to handle.  I got the temp meter out to see how mine was and it averaged about 95 degrees.  
I have been using the same goldenrod for 20+ years, the only downside is you have to position your safe close enough to an electrical outlet. it is a pretty simple resistance rod, the polarity should not matter.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top