Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 11/28/2023 10:55:51 AM EDT
Mods if this post isnt permitted my aplogies please delete

I have a bunch of knives that need some work that is beyond my capabilities. Im thinking I just need to box them up and ship off to someone who can fix them up and then I could maintain them afterwards.

2 of them have sentimental value and I would like to put them into service but again with the equipment I have available its not working and spending hundreds of dollars on a setup capable of doing what I need done isnt in the cards right now.

Looking to have the factory grinds evened out, sharpen and maybe a clean-up/polishing of one or two.

If a member here is willing to take this on please let me know and we can discuss pricing and specificities. I looked in the EE to see if these services were offered but didnt see anything. Ive tried to find guys locally but that was a crap shoot.

Thanks for reading.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 12:18:04 PM EDT
[#1]
In for similar needs.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 12:57:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Type of knife, blade length, and number of knives would matter to me.  I know that Vulcan knife in University Place, WA (near Tacoma) offers knife sharpening and restoration.  You might need to be very specific on the type of edge you want put on the knife.  

Hollow grind, chisel grind, appleseed grind, or flat grind all are all for different purposes.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 4:32:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Genin:
Type of knife, blade length, and number of knives would matter to me.  I know that Vulcan knife in University Place, WA (near Tacoma) offers knife sharpening and restoration.  You might need to be very specific on the type of edge you want put on the knife.  

Hollow grind, chisel grind, appleseed grind, or flat grind all are all for different purposes.
View Quote

Honestly that is more technical than I am even looking for. The two I care most about are cheap Schrade sharpfingers. One given to my father by my grandfather, one given to me by my father. The factory grind was never great, and I just want to be able to use them to dress game. There is about 1/2” worth of blade that was never profiled from the factory on one of them. I’d leave it up to you to decide what grind suites them best, keeping in mind that I’d like for it to be easy to maintain. These would be the two I’d like to have cleaned up as well. Some staining.

Another is an old hickory butcher knife that I’d like to use for field work. Factory grind is abysmal and Ive tried to get it profiled to be sharp and have failed. I only have a Lansky turn box sharpener and a puck stone.

Sog field pup had a decent factory edge - just liked that sharpened up. Again something easy to maintain for general purpose camp knife.

The last is a ZT4150cf folding knife. Just need than sharpened up as well. Whatever the factory profile is works for me. I am not a knife guy - so not picky about a lot. Just want serviceable blades than I can maintain.

I can send pictures.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 10:17:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I do a lot of sharpening and have been wanting to do more as a side gig.  I typically use stones and no power equipment, so no chance to ruin heat treat. I would be able to take care of these knives for you if interested.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top