Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/23/2022 11:16:37 AM EDT
I have been gifted an Auto Ordnance Thompson carbine.

It is a generous gift and I am great full for it. Being a Thompson, it is cool and being a 20 lb, 16” barreled .45 ACP, it is also wildly impractical.

I think a 10.5” barrel and a form 1 would make it both exponentially cooler and slightly more practical.

Anyone have an SBR semi auto Thompson?
Link Posted: 12/23/2022 11:34:19 AM EDT
[#1]
You might get more/faster responses by posting your inquiry in the Pistol Caliber Carbine Forum below.

Best of luck.
MHO, YMMV, etc.  Be well.
Link Posted: 12/23/2022 12:11:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one from about 25 years ago. Boringly accurate. I can set up a string of balloons at 100 yards and just pick them off - pop pop pop. I have a couple 50 round drums for it and a 10 inch barrel which I plan to attach someday when I get the time to do the paperwork. I will probably send it down to that guy in Las Cruses, NM to convert to a detachable stock set up first.

It was one of my "must have" guns from my youth so I just gots to do it. YMMV.
Link Posted: 12/23/2022 12:36:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had one for 15 some years now.  Changed a lot of things on it including SBR.  

I'd recommend "Deerslayer" aka Dan Block on the Machinegunboards to do the work for you.  Barrels are inexpensive and require no headspacing.

Link Posted: 12/23/2022 2:30:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Deleted
Link Posted: 12/23/2022 8:59:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I have 2 sbr’d Thompson’s. I can tell you what all I’ve done to mine if you’re interested. I sent you a message. Unfortunately I don’t know how to post pics on here.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 8:19:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I've always wanted one of those specifically to SBR. I have a bunch of mags I got cheap at Knob Creek just because I wanted to get a Thompson.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 11:04:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I own an original Colt Thompson model 1921AC.

It used to belong to the Bergen County, NJ Police Department in the 1920s/30s. One of the most corrupt LEAs in American history.

My favorite MG to own (the chicks dig it) but my LEAST favorite MG to shoot. Nothing about the original TSMG didn’t NEED to evolve. Drums, even original drums are best kept for the look. Don’t even get me started on the “Blish Lock”.

The modern title 1 reproductions are even worse. The barrel is too long (a legal necessity) but the buttstock is too long to, the models with an Aluminum receiver makes the barrel feel even longer. The closed-bolt operation (another legal necessity) completes making these guns NOTHING like the originals. To add insult to injury making the gun incompatible with the thousands of WWII surplus mags without modification is lame.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 11:55:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I got my Auto Ordnance Thompson SBR work done by deerslayer (Dan Block) last month.

The barrel was a 10.5" Green Mountain barrel.

Having never touched a Thompson prior to getting this one, my impressions were:

- Very heavy - surprisingly so
- The stock ergonomics suck.  I'm 6'2" and the length of pull on the stock is super long.
- Racking the bolt is very difficult, even with the upgraded springs Dan Block added
- Have him convert it to use USGI furniture.  It will require some modification to the gun to do so.
- Have him convert it to use USGI surplus mags.  Kahr ones are hit or miss.
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 11:56:13 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a factory 1928 SBR and it's just as heavy as the 16" barrel version.
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 3:42:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a factory 1928 SBR and it's just as heavy as the 16" barrel version.
View Quote
When I SBR'ed my Thompson, it was noticeably lighter and much better balancing.
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 4:37:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Steel plates at 25 yards will make you giggle.  Easy to triple tap.  

Thompson is a big bitch.  I wish I has borrowed one, rather than bought one.  Glad its gone.

Drums are a pain in the balls.  I recommend not even trying.
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 5:08:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I picked one up this year from an anti gun liberal.  

His dad got it for him in 1972 and he never took it out of the box.  

I shot it for the first Time a month ago.  It’s heavy but glad I got it

I stole it at the price I gave him.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 5:50:37 AM EDT
[#13]
A couple more things to consider: the buttstock that comes on those things from the factory is not an accurate reproduction. It’s about 1/2 inch longer than the ridiculously long GI stock. The angle of the buttplate is wrong, it’s thicker, and no butt trap hole in the buttplate. I found a new in wrapper GI stock on ebay and corrected all those shortcomings. The conversion to take GI mags was also a big deal for me.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 3:05:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I got to shoot an original full auto M1 a couple months ago and wow, what an awesome gun.  Even with the basic sights it was pretty easy to hit targets. Just aim a bit low, give it a quick squeeze and you can stitch them up perfectly.  That was on a range, I can't imagine how difficult it was to do in battle. It was definitely heavy and it gave me a whole new respect for the guys who carried these in battle.

Would love to own a semi auto version although I'd have to do a fair bit of strength training to use one for any length of time other than a few minutes lol
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 3:24:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I wonder if USGI Thompson stock and foregrip will work on a Kahr-Arms Thompson without modification.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 5:38:13 PM EDT
[#16]
16 or 10” a tommy gun will always be heavy as hell.. being semiauto makes it feel even heavier

The cool factor is unbeatable though
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 6:46:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
When I SBR'ed my Thompson, it was noticeably lighter and much better balancing.
View Quote

Stick or drum?
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 8:16:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Thompson M1.  So, stick mag only.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 8:35:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I wonder if USGI Thompson stock and foregrip will work on a Kahr-Arms Thompson without modification.
View Quote

The foregrip mounting bars are different widths.  Full auto Thompsons from WWII and earlier have a 1/2 in. wide bar and the West Hurley and Kahr semi autos have a 3/4 in. bar.  The lengths of the horizontal grips might be different too.  I don't know all the ins and outs on the buttstocks.

I've got a 2012 Kahr 27A1 that had a press on compensator that I replaced with a press on ring sight.  Shorter, lighter, and cleaning the compensator sucks. I also modified the mag catch to use WWII and earlier stick mags. As the gun weighs about ten pounds, there's virtually no recoil.

Best of luck.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 2:28:34 PM EDT
[#20]
I held a semi-auto 1927 in a gun store about 15  years ago.  It was heavy and unappealing.  1.5 years ago I bought my 1928 Thompson AC.  I have zero regrets about not buying the semi-auto version.

My advice to you is to sell the gun and save/invest the proceeds.  Buy the real deal Thompson SMG in the future.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 3:05:22 PM EDT
[#21]
FWIW, I was the chief firearms trainer for my former agency.  While waiting at the range for the class I was teaching to begin, the agency that had the range before me had a select fire Thompson from their arms room on the range, so I went to watch.

The instructor from the other agency saw me sitting in the back of the range watching him shoot it, and because he knew me, he turned to me and asked "would you like to shoot it?"    SCHWING!!!!!    I acted as calmly as I could and said "sure, thanks".`   I got to run three magazines of 20 rounds each through it.   Very cool weapon, but very heavy.

Very cool firearm for anyone fortunate enough to own one.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 9:26:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I held a semi-auto 1927 in a gun store about 15  years ago.  It was heavy and unappealing.  1.5 years ago I bought my 1928 Thompson AC.  I have zero regrets about not buying the semi-auto version.

My advice to you is to sell the gun and save/invest the proceeds.  Buy the real deal Thompson SMG in the future.
View Quote
lol...  I'm sure everyone would love to do that, but it's not feasible for a lot of people.  I love my semi-auto SBR Thompson M1, but if I had $35K for a machinegun, it surely would NOT go to purchase a Thompson SMG.  In fact, I can think of at least a dozen other MG's I'd spend that money on before using it on a Thompson.  So the semi-auto SBR I have scratches that itch for me at a fraction of the price.

Further, buying a MG "in the future" is getting more and more out of reach for many as prices continue to climb.  What did a Thompson SMG cost in 2000?  2010?  now?  Imagine what they will cost in 10 or 20 years from now.  Not many people have $35K in disposable funds to use on something like that just because they may go up in the future.  Compounding that, the stroke of a legislative pen can turn that MG investment into something that's no longer an investment - either through a positive thing like ruling the NFA unconstitutional, or on the other end, a new law ruling that MG's are no longer transferable.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 6:46:10 PM EDT
[#23]
This thing definitely needs to lose about 6” of barrel and 4-5” of stock. What on earth is with the foot and a half LOP? Maybe it was designed to be tucked into the armpit for some good ol’ 1920s spray and pray?
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 11:47:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I got my Auto Ordnance Thompson SBR work done by deerslayer (Dan Block) last month.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52530436339_169151f95a_k.jpg

- The stock ergonomics suck.  I'm 6'2" and the length of pull on the stock is super long.
- Racking the bolt is very difficult, even with the upgraded springs Dan Block added
- Have him convert it to use USGI furniture.  It will require some modification to the gun to do so.
View Quote

This times 2!!  
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:50:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52530436339_169151f95a_k.jpg

View Quote

You can’t cut the stock to improve LOP?
I’m 6’ but shorter arms
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 6:44:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You can't cut the stock to improve LOP?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
You can't cut the stock to improve LOP?
Of course he could.
Get a "beater" stock and shorten it however one wants.

I'm 6' but shorter arms
I'm 6'1" and original stocks fit me fine. (I haven't tried the Kahr/AO stocks.)

I've shot TSMGs and I own most of one. Still need a receiver for my M1928A1 kit.

I agree with the above about it being heavy and not particularly desirable from a user's standpoint, but they're interesting/desirable from a historical perspective.

The controls suck, but it was an early American design to feature so many controls so they didn't really know how to "do it right" yet.
(The simplifications of the machining on M1 and M1A1 controls didn't help matters any.)

After acquiring many other MGs, it's still on the list of "stuff I want".
They are very controllable due to the weight.

As a semi-auto, I wouldn't bother unless you're just super into Thompsons or you're going for all the US WWII small arms.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 9:30:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Anyone know how the buttstock attachment differs between the Kahr and an original?
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 2:05:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 2:14:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 2:52:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Attachment is the same as the original M1, dual bolt mounting  (the stock and bolts are the same as the ones made by Kahr and are interchangeable with USGI parts)

The M1928 is the quick detach stock, and a few(?) of the Kahr Arms ones might use that style, but IIRC, they pretty much went with the M1 style fixed mounting.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone know how the buttstock attachment differs between the Kahr and an original?

Attachment is the same as the original M1, dual bolt mounting  (the stock and bolts are the same as the ones made by Kahr and are interchangeable with USGI parts)

The M1928 is the quick detach stock, and a few(?) of the Kahr Arms ones might use that style, but IIRC, they pretty much went with the M1 style fixed mounting.

Sven
Manticore Arms
Thanks!  I plan to swap stocks when I get one, forearm also.  Did you swap mag catches to use original mags?
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 2:54:12 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm looking at the new pistol that they make.  Looks good except the added something to the lower rear....probably to prevent a stock from being installed.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 3:19:11 PM EDT
[#32]
+1 on Dan Block

I have a deluxe sbr and it’s fun but it’s definitely not practical.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 5:05:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Thanks!  I plan to swap stocks when I get one, forearm also.  Did you swap mag catches to use original mags?
View Quote
Just know that the foregrip on the Kahr model is not interchangeable with USGI furniture.  The mounting point is not the same.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 5:18:53 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a kahr one I SBR'd.  I went with the deluxe model.  Detachable stock, lyman rear sight, finned barrel, and the cuts to accept 50/100rd drums
Rather than buying a new barrel, I had my factory one shortened to 10.5" and threaded and the rear sight pushed back.  I purchased a spare cuts compensator and that was used to make a thread protector.  Dollar-wise, it was still cheaper than buying a new barrel and paying a smith to install it.

Kahr makes models with fixed and detachable stocks.  I say pay a little extra for the detachable one.
They also make aluminum and steel models.  Aluminum is lighter.  But a tommy gun is meant to be steel.

Link Posted: 4/30/2023 5:53:27 PM EDT
[#35]
When I was the firearms instructor for my agency, I was at the range getting ready for class, when an officer from a local PD was there with one of his agencies select fire Thompsons...He asked me if I would like to shoot it and of course I said "sure".  I got to run two stick magazines through it..I think around 50 rounds total.  I don't think I quit grinning for a week.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 10:27:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Just know that the foregrip on the Kahr model is not interchangeable with USGI furniture.  The mounting point is not the same.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well I just bought a USGI forend.  $20 so cheap enough to try modding it to fit.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 11:53:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Well I just bought a USGI forend.  $20 so cheap enough to try modding it to fit.
View Quote
You'll have to trim the channel in the USGI foregrip to fit the 3/4" channel that the Kahr's use.  Real Thompson's use 1/2" attachment points.  So yeah, you can - but you will be permanently modifying the USGI furniture.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 6:22:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
You'll have to trim the channel in the USGI foregrip to fit the 3/4" channel that the Kahr's use.  Real Thompson's use 1/2" attachment points.  So yeah, you can - but you will be permanently modifying the USGI furniture.  
View Quote
Are the M1a attachment a bar like on an 1928 with forward grip?
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 6:25:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Also, what is the mod to take USGI mags?

IIRC it was just swapping to a USGI mag release?
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 6:36:17 PM EDT
[#40]
I got to shoot this the other day.  Not me shooting, and not my gun, but it was a hoot.  

FA Thompson
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 7:12:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Are the M1a attachment a bar like on an 1928 with forward grip?
View Quote
Yes.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 7:27:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Also, what is the mod to take USGI mags?

IIRC it was just swapping to a USGI mag release?
View Quote

No, you are not RC'ing.
Discussed here:
https://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?/topic/17550-mag-catch-modification/
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 7:32:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is excellent advice.  I had a semi AO “Thompson,” with its pot metal magazine release and a compensator that spun around on the end of the barrel.   I was ok with it until I examined a real 1921 Thompson and realized mine was a complete POS in comparison.

Just because the Moonies own the trademark doesn’t make it a “Thompson.”  Far from it.

Link Posted: 5/2/2023 7:53:49 PM EDT
[#44]
@firedog51d

This should help (not mine), but outlines some differences nicely, with pictures:  http://www.90thidpg.us/Equipment/Reviews/AOThompson/index.html
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 12:07:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
@firedog51d

This should help (not mine), but outlines some differences nicely, with pictures:  http://www.90thidpg.us/Equipment/Reviews/AOThompson/index.html
View Quote
Thanks!  Sigh....this project is on hold.  I just picked up another M1 rifle and a buddy offered me his 03a4 clone.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 4:20:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Just picked up a set of "tanker" USGI furniture for about $190.

BTW, just noticed that there are quite a few VERY sharp corners on these M1A1's - lol.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 8:11:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
+1 on Dan Block

I have a deluxe sbr and it’s fun but it’s definitely not practical.
View Quote

Being an old fart, I cannot find any contact info on him…. Can somebody please PM/IM me Dan Block info?  I like to reach out to see if he can tweak my Thompson M1928 carbine a bit.

I have the model with the push button removable stock that I picked up back in 2016 and yes, it’s beyond heavy, but it definitely has the cool factor to it. The barrel length kills me, even with the factory pinned muzzle comp to a 14.5ish” barrel, it still looks way off, but a little better that with the full 16ish” barrel with a muzzle comp.  

I will be submitting the ATF’s Form 1 within the next month or so, for this and two other rifles…. Where is a good place to purchase a correct 10+ inch finned barrel?

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 10:36:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Being an old fart, I cannot find any contact info on him…. Can somebody please PM/IM me Dan Block info?  I like to reach out to see if he can tweak my Thompson M1928 carbine a bit.

I have the model with the push button removable stock that I picked up back in 2016 and yes, it’s beyond heavy, but it definitely has the cool factor to it. The barrel length kills me, even with the factory pinned muzzle comp to a 14.5ish” barrel, it still looks way off, but a little better that with the full 16ish” barrel with a muzzle comp.  

I will be submitting the ATF’s Form 1 within the next month or so, for this and two other rifles…. Where is a good place to purchase a correct 10+ inch finned barrel?

Thanks!!
View Quote

Mr. Block goes by the screen name deerslayer on the Machinegunboards.com website, and you should be able to contact him via that route.  When you discuss your project with him, you may wish to ask his recommendation for a barrel.
Good luck with your project.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 10:52:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Note that he will also have you make the SBR before he will do work on it, meaning that you have to have an approved F1 AND the Thompson must be in an SBR config when he receives it.  Unless you have a way to pull the barrel, that likely means that he will require you to cut the existing, installed barrel before you ship it to him so that YOU (not he) are the one creating the SBR.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 1:22:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Note that he will also have you make the SBR before he will do work on it, meaning that you have to have an approved F1 AND the Thompson must be in an SBR config when he receives it.  Unless you have a way to pull the barrel, that likely means that he will require you to cut the existing, installed barrel before you ship it to him so that YOU (not he) are the one creating the SBR.
View Quote

I’ll pass on that.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top