Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2020 6:09:30 AM EDT
I'd think with all the clones and new HK MP5 Someone would make replica or import some more of the traditional A3 stocks.  I just can't get into the looks of an F stock.

Any news about more coming in or being made?  I'd expect someone could make Chinese or Korean clones like ATI did of the F stock years ago.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 2:17:03 PM EDT
[#1]
MKE and POF are currently the only source of new A3s.  The POFs are hot garbage.  From the wrong curvature on the rear end to the loose fit I would stay away from them.

No experience with the MKE but I would guess from handling their 5.56 A3 it's a nice stock.  The problem with this and a lot of the MKE stuff is that it's almost as expensive as going H&K.
https://zenithfirearms.com/product/mke-2-position-a3-retractable-stock-full-size-9x19/

AFAIK ATI doesn't manufacture the F stock anymore so what's available now is it.

A company tooling up now would be wise to make the F instead of the classic A3.  Among other improvements, the F has longer forks.  They stay further in the receiver when extended resulting in a more durable and longer lasting stock.  The old A3s are more prone to develop play sooner in their life cycle.  That's an issue since many of the A3s on the market are well used.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 2:50:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd wait for he sp5 hype to die a little, they're way overpriced atm
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 9:20:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

A company tooling up now would be wise to make the F instead of the classic A3.
View Quote
People don't buy MP5s to get the latest and greatest... they buy MP5s because they want MP5s.  Since F stocks are still in production at HK, and they look stupid, anyone tooling up now should make the original style collapsing stock with the metal lever.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 1:24:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
People don't buy MP5s to get the latest and greatest
View Quote
I 100% agree with this. However, an F stock isn't like adding an ACR stock or buying a B&T APC9, to me with a pictogram lower the F looks completely correct. And shouldering it as a correctly sized (over 6 feet) American male the F stock is far and away more comfortable.

I just linked two manufacturers  currently making the A3 stock, one is cheap and poor quality. The other is (likely) well made but very expensive. And that's going to be the problem, tooling up to make A3 stock for a few thousand civilians who want a very particular stock is going to be cost prohibitive for a third party. H&K certainly isn't going to place an obsolete and less durable product back into production for the very fickle and very small civilian market.

To my knowledge, the only group that tooled up to make Civilian A3 stocks was ATI, they made the F stock.  They obviously didn't follow your logic.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 5:27:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I 100% agree with this. However, an F stock isn't like adding an ACR stock or buying a B&T APC9, to me with a pictogram lower the F looks completely correct. And shouldering it as a correctly sized (over 6 feet) American male the F stock is far and away more comfortable.

I just linked two manufacturers  currently making the A3 stock, one is cheap and poor quality. The other is (likely) well made but very expensive. And that's going to be the problem, tooling up to make A3 stock for a few thousand civilians who want a very particular stock is going to be cost prohibitive for a third party. H&K certainly isn't going to place an obsolete and less durable product back into production for the very fickle and very small civilian market.

To my knowledge, the only group that tooled up to make Civilian A3 stocks was ATI, they made the F stock.  They obviously didn't follow your logic.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did ATI collaborate with HK or something because I honestly cannot tell the difference between the Ati stock and HK
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 12:19:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Did ATI collaborate with HK or something because I honestly cannot tell the difference between the Ati stock and HK
View Quote
No, and having had them side by side the materials are different  The pin location on the ATI is also off and needs to be filed in order to fit, the HK is smoother operating as well.  But after you file the pin hole on the ATI it's a pretty robust stock.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 3:53:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I have 2 of the ATIs I bought for my C93 SBR and my PTR9, they both are great stocks but I don't like the cutaway on the one side fork, have no idea
why they did it, it doesn't get in the way of the charging handle. I ended up getting an older HKA3 stock for my MP5 clone and put a full size stock on the
HK53 clone. The ATIs I'm on the fence about selling so far.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 4:02:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have 2 of the ATIs I bought for my C93 SBR and my PTR9, they both are great stocks but I don't like the cutaway on the one side fork, have no idea
why they did it, it doesn't get in the way of the charging handle. I ended up getting an older HKA3 stock for my MP5 clone and put a full size stock on the
HK53 clone. The ATIs I'm on the fence about selling so far.
View Quote
The cutaway is for clearance (when collapsed) for the BHO on .40 and 10mm guns.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 5:47:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I can remember when the ATI stocks were $99

I think I'm going to start piecing one together from Robert RTG.  They have the Arms of a 93, I'm going to cut and mill it down to MP5

I think I will start with a Tailhook type backing on it  and then work my way up to molding a buttstock and make an A3 stock when Form 1 comes through.

https://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/RIGHT-LEFT-A3-STOCK-RAILS-FOR-HK33-53-COLLAPSIBLE-NEW-GERMAN-119p7002.htm

Link Posted: 2/4/2020 6:48:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Do the a3 stocks lock closed as well as open or are they set up pull open easily?
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 6:57:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Do the a3 stocks lock closed as well as open or are they set up pull open easily?
View Quote
They lock
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 6:59:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 1:50:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes, yes and yes.

They lock closed and open, but have a spring button under the closed stock that 'pops' it open when you hit the lever...and easy, one handed operation.

Also, this is why A3 stocks modified to have several different lengths are dumb:  It takes two hands to adjust the length.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 2:21:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed, an F stock is better than a non-HK stock, or a brace, and fits with an ambi lower... but they are in current production, readily available (and expensive).  It's the right thing to do if you are kitting up an F model MP5.

POF guns are OK, but their stocks have downs syndrome and are not viable.  I'm sure the MKE stock is good, but also not cheap.

ATI could afford to make a knock off and sell it for $150, which they did, it wouldn't have cost them any more to make the early version (but I'd pay more than $150 for a stock with decent quality control, which they lacked).  Even more sadly, they made the 'universal' style, with the clearance cut for the MP5 40/10 bolt catch...99% of the time when you see an MP5 with one of those, it's an ATI stock with file marks around the pin hole to get it to fit.  ATI (or whoever made them for ATI) almost made a great stock... the parts looked great, but they needed to QC them better before the sent them out the door.

The ATI stock that I had looked exactly like an HK stock even when examined close, except one of the pin holes was out of alignment, and it couldn't be installed on an in-spec gun.  I ended up swapping the end stamping of the ATI for a factory HK piece, and then later the stock and rails for factory HK.  The lock mechanism is now ATI, but everything else is HK (early style, but with the plastic lever).

The MP5 itself is obsolete, but it deserves a quality obsolete stock...and HKs share of the market might be small, but the market is not small.  POF, TPM, TSC, Special weapons, Bobcat, Turner Industries, DJ getz, PTR, Dakota Tactical, Parabellum, Zenith, Omega, Black ops Defense, Brethren, Thor and soon to be PSA do, or did make guns that will accept those stocks (I'm sure there are more, that's all I can think of).  They need some proper stocks.  I'm dumb enough to spend $600 on a stock, but not everyone is.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 6:29:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Is there anyway to remove the wobble? I have a a3 not HK that has a wobble. Anyway of fixing it?
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 7:03:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Is there anyway to remove the wobble? I have a a3 not HK that has a wobble. Anyway of fixing it?
View Quote
Buy an HK and use it till it wobbles?
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:08:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought a POF for my Vector V-94 SBR, and it sucked. Too much wobble and cheek weld was terrible. I ended up buying a B&T Folding Stock. Could not have been happier; has as good cheek weld as a fixed stock
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 11:24:40 AM EDT
[#18]
http://www.huckleberryarms.com/HECKLER-AND-KOCH-HK-USA-FOLDING-STOCK-SP5K-BLACK-p/hk261249.htm

There are 2 here that say they are for the SP5K, will they work on the SP5?

I really want to SBR a SP5.

Edit: Didn't realize the A3 was the retractable. Looks like there is one at

https://hkparts.net/product/mp5-f-a3-universal-retractable-stock-p2621.htm
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 12:44:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 9:02:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I bought a POF for my Vector V-94 SBR, and it sucked. Too much wobble and cheek weld was terrible. I ended up buying a B&T Folding Stock. Could not have been happier; has as good cheek weld as a fixed stock
View Quote
Yes - The B&T is a better stock by far (comfort durability, rigid, etc).  If only my obsession with the original look that I grew up adoring wasn't in charge of this decision process.  I'll suck it up and pay the price - I figured someone would have come out with a replica like ATI did a few years back on the F stock.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 12:41:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The short answer is NO - the SP5K and SP5 use a different stock interface.
View Quote
Bummer, although I like the SP5K from a size standpoint. Off to do a bit of research on it too.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 2:23:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Bummer, although I like the SP5K from a size standpoint. Off to do a bit of research on it too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The short answer is NO - the SP5K and SP5 use a different stock interface.
I may be misinterpreting you Actiondiver and correct me if this is not what you were hinting at but, you can put a MP5 stock on a MP5K. I had a local gunsmith build me an adapter.
You just can't put a MP5K stock on a MP5.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 5:35:26 PM EDT
[#23]
https://safetyharborfirearms.com/product/kes-mp5k-pattern/

Make an Mp5k stock
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 7:49:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I may be misinterpreting you Actiondiver and correct me if this is not what you were hinting at but, you can put a MP5 stock on a MP5K. I had a local gunsmith build me an adapter.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/81074/A3_cllapsed_no_can_jpg-1269949.JPG
View Quote
What is that thing?  It's not an MP5K.  Doesn't even look like a reverse stretch.

You cannot put a collapsible stock on a K even with an adapter, the K has a reinforcement tabs on the side of the reciever that block the stock channel.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 8:01:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
What is that thing?  It's not an MP5K.  Doesn't even look like a reverse stretch.

You cannot put a collapsible stock on a K even with an adapter, the K has a reinforcement tabs on the side of the reciever that block the stock channel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/81074/A3_cllapsed_no_can_jpg-1269949.JPG

Mine never came with the tabs, it is a Bobcat Weapons BW-89.

All I had to do was buy the gun, the stock and one of the MP5k back plates without the QD socket on it and my gunsmith made it all work.
He welded 2 metal tubes to the back plate to work with the A3 stock, drilled a 2nd hole in the top of the A3 stock for extra support. He then milled the 2 slots into the end plate for the forks to go through. The last thing he did was mill a small cut out so the A3 stock would go around the grommet in the gun for the top pin and presto, an A3 stock on a MP5k clone.

Here is a pic of the side of the adapter.
Attachment Attached File

A pic of the cut out and 2nd pin hole he cut.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 11:23:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I can remember when the ATI stocks were $99

I think I'm going to start piecing one together from Robert RTG.  They have the Arms of a 93, I'm going to cut and mill it down to MP5

I think I will start with a Tailhook type backing on it  and then work my way up to molding a buttstock and make an A3 stock when Form 1 comes through.

https://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/RIGHT-LEFT-A3-STOCK-RAILS-FOR-HK33-53-COLLAPSIBLE-NEW-GERMAN-119p7002.htm

https://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/catalog/hkk-217415_54_detail.jpg
View Quote

@cherenkov,
I am interested in this.
How would these rails have to be modified to fit an MP5?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 3:30:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

@cherenkov,
I am interested in this.

Thanks.
View Quote

If you want the 93 rails at RTG at MP5 length, you would need to cut/sand down to MP5 length.

Then you need to mill slots in the rails to match the profile of the MP5 latch mechanism.  I just used a 1/8" carbide 4 flute end mill, file, and dremel.  It sort of came out rough but can get it to manually hold in place -

The only thing I could not find was the coil spring that is unique to this stock - I did it for a brace but now doing a Form 1 SBR and have a factory stock to put on it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 4:54:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Just wait till the recent batch of SP5 buyers maxes out their credit cards......non-F A3 stocks and Surefire 628's will settle back down.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 1:13:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

If you want the 93 rails at RTG at MP5 length, you would need to cut/sand down to MP5 length.

Then you need to mill slots in the rails to match the profile of the MP5 latch mechanism.  I just used a 1/8" carbide 4 flute end mill, file, and dremel.  It sort of came out rough but can get it to manually hold in place -

The only thing I could not find was the coil spring that is unique to this stock - I did it for a brace but now doing a Form 1 SBR and have a factory stock to put on it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@cherenkov,
I am interested in this.

Thanks.

Thank you sir.
I ordered a set, plus the Custom Tailhook adapter.
I’m hoping it will fit the mechanism for the HKPDW.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 3:12:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Just wait till the recent batch of SP5 buyers maxes out their credit cards......non-F A3 stocks and Surefire 628's will settle back down.
View Quote

Non F A3s were already in short supply before the Sp5 came. Seeing how they haven't been manufacturered in decades I doubt supply will get better.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 3:54:51 PM EDT
[#31]
OST
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 5:31:16 AM EDT
[#32]
keep a eye on hkparts.net and sign up for the well used surplus non F A3 stocks. i just got one a couple of weeks ago.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 2:28:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

No kidding, those 628's are through the roof now.
Maybe SureFire can bring those back easier than someone cloning the collapsing stock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top