Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2022 12:30:37 PM EDT
My local dealer is horrible compared to several others I've previously dealt with.  Unfortunately I've already got two NFA items going through him so I'm somewhat stuck.  However, there's another dealer that's about the same distance from me and only charges $50 for an NFA transfer but then they charge $100 for "storage" of the NFA item.  Is there any way to avoid such a fee or is that not possible due to the process itself so really the fee is $150 (in this case) and the dealer's just breaking it down for some reason?

Thanks

Link Posted: 4/19/2022 12:37:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never heard of this, but I'm selective on who I go to. I'd find another dealer if possible.

This should have been rolled up into their transfer fee. The storage fee is just extra fleecing.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 12:37:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I would shop around more.  The dealer I use is $40 for the transfer and no storage fee.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 12:39:13 PM EDT
[#3]
$150 is high for a NFA transfer.

What part of PA are you in? If you're in the Philadelphia area I can recommend a few good local SOT's I've used with much more reasonable prices for NFA transfers. You can PM me if you'd like.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 12:41:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've never heard of this, but I'm selective on who I go to. I'd find another dealer if possible.

This should have been rolled up into their transfer fee. The storage fee is just extra fleecing.
View Quote

In my area, fees seem pretty steep overall.  Currently, the 2 at the sucky dealer are costing me $120 each.  

But this is what I thought as well.....don't rub it in my face that you're bending me over for $100, just say your fee is $150.  However, if someone local wants to sell me their NFA item or I want to sell mine....$50 would be absolutely reasonable and I don't think it would require the dealer to store it.  Or is that false and the process dictates that dealer has to hold the item to be transferred?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 12:42:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

In my area, fees seem pretty steep overall.  Currently, the 2 at the sucky dealer are costing me $120 each.  

But this is what I thought as well.....don't rub it in my face that you're bending me over for $100, just say your fee is $150.  However, if someone local wants to sell me their NFA item or I want to sell mine....$50 would be absolutely reasonable and I don't think it would require the dealer to store it.  Or is that false and the process dictates that dealer has to hold the item to be transferred?

Thanks
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

They have to store it while your form 4 is pending. Up until eforms this could be as long as 12 months, but now it's down to around 90 days.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 12:43:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
$150 is high for a NFA transfer.

What part of PA are you in? If you're in the Philadelphia area I can recommend a few good local SOT's I've used with much more reasonable prices for NFA transfers. You can PM me if you'd like.
View Quote

I'm in the Lehigh Valley area so 45min-1hr from Philly depending on where they are in Philly.  If they are dramatically cheaper, might be worth the drive.

Link Posted: 4/19/2022 12:44:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

They have to store it while your form 4 is pending. Up until eforms this could be as long as 12 months, but now it's down to around 90 days.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Ok, so new or used there's really no workaround to avoid paying a storage fee.  Seems like the dealer is just rubbing it in the customer's face if that's the case.  

Good to know though.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 12:48:12 PM EDT
[#8]
So he charges $150 then to transfer. Does he still charge $100 to store a suppressor if you buy it directly from him?

Shop around. Fees in my area range from $40-100. I've bought directly from two of the $100 guys because I've gotten good prices for something that they had in-stock or ordered for me. However, I'll never buy online and transfer something through them.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 12:48:48 PM EDT
[#9]
If you're buying from an individual in your state, you just need to purchase on a form 4 directly from the person you buy from.  No reason for an extra set of transfers.  The person you purchase from keeps the NFA item until the F4 is approved.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 12:48:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I’ve never paid storage and never would.

Sounds like a greedy ah
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 12:49:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Ok, so new or used there's really no workaround to avoid paying a storage fee.  Seems like the dealer is just rubbing it in the customer's face if that's the case.  

Good to know though.  Thanks!
View Quote
Yea, they have to store it regardless while the paperwork clears.  This dealer is just playing word games itemizing a "storage fee" as an excuse to try and hide a higher-than-most NFA transfer fee of $150.

The reason most dealers charge more for NFA transfers than regular transfers is basically two fold, the added hassle of managing the extra paperwork and the added risk of having to safely store property someone else has paid for for several months or more.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 1:05:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yea, they have to store it regardless while the paperwork clears.  This dealer is just playing word games itemizing a "storage fee" as an excuse to try and hide a higher-than-most NFA transfer fee of $150.

The reason most dealers charge more for NFA transfers than regular transfers is basically two fold, the added hassle of managing the extra paperwork and the added risk of having to safely store property someone else has paid for for several months or more.
View Quote

And the pain in the ass first stamp guys that call checking constantly. (Don’t be that guy.)

ETA: you could order through SilencerShop, Capital armory, Silencer Central, etc.  with no added fees.

ETA2: transfers are $100 everywhere here… I thought that was terrible.  Make more phone calls and keep searching or use SilencerShop.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 1:10:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

And the pain in the ass first stamp guys that call checking constantly. (Don’t be that guy.)

ETA: you could order through SilencerShop, Capital armory, Silencer Central, etc.  with no added fees.
View Quote

No shit.

I charge 100 for anything that fits in my safes. If it won't fit in one. It gets stripped until it does. If it was something huge, I'd like charge 50 or even 100 more. If you bought it from me directly,  no added fees.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 1:31:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Never heard of a storage fee. Seems shady for something they have to hold until the paperwork clears anyway. My dealer is $50.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 1:58:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Lol, never heard of storage fee. Find new dealer
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 3:03:53 PM EDT
[#16]
I avoid it by buying directly from a semi-local vendor (Hansohn Brothers).  No fee other than the purchase price, tax, and the stamp.  It's a 70 mile drive each way for the pickup, but it's not a bad drive and they are good folks.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 7:47:14 PM EDT
[#17]
I have never heard of this.  

Aren't they "storing" it the whole time it is in inventory pre-purchase?  You are doing them a favor by purchasing it and ensuring it comes out of storage. Sounds like fuckery.  Or just asshole tax in the case of a custom order of a non-stocked item
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 8:03:33 PM EDT
[#18]
I bought through Silencer Shop so I could easily compare OTD prices for multiple dealers, with no nickel and dime BS after the fact.  

Link Posted: 4/30/2022 11:46:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Same. Never heard of this. Sounds like he's just charging $150 total for the service, but trying to call it something else to make it seem like his normal charge is only $50

Greedy asshole imo and not a business I would give my money to. Not because of the price, but the deceptive business practice.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 12:01:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Never heard of storage fees.
Even with a 9 month wait....
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 12:21:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Sounds like a greedy ah
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/3/2022 9:51:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Sounds like a greedy ah
View Quote

This

I work overseas and have cans sit at my dealer for months, even after the stamps come in, and he doesn’t charge me anything. He doesn’t even call me when a stamp comes in, he knows I’ll come by when I’m back in the country.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 4:41:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I would shop around more.  The dealer I use is $40 for the transfer and no storage fee.
View Quote

Mine is $45.

Storage fee? Nope.

Find a different FFL or see if Capitol Armory does their thing in your state.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 6:25:19 PM EDT
[#24]
I’ve heard of storage fees, but never like this.

As a SOT, I charged $100.00 if a customer didn’t submit their paperwork within 30 days without damn good reason.  (“I got deployment orders and forgot while trying to get the wife and kids squared away.”)

I also charged $100.00/mo for any firearm not picked up within two weeks of receipt, approval, or without disposition two weeks after a denial.  (You’d be surprised how many people left guns in inventory for months after receipt or approval.)

But in the middle of a legit transfer?  Find another SOT.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top