Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2018 1:17:28 PM EDT
These two pistols have been on my mind lately. Both seem like a lot of fun in a small package.  I’m just a regular guy that likes interesting small guns, and these look like two perfect SBR candidates.  They would be a considerable investment and would blow my gun budget for the rest of the year, so I want to make a good choice.  I have always wanted a TP9, but the USW can accept the suppressors I already have and comes with an optic, all I need is a stamp and mags.  The TP9 comes in at a lower price, still needs the stamp and optic, and needs a proprietary suppressor.  Anyone have both or have shot both?  Love them? Hate them?
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 1:36:31 PM EDT
[#1]

I own both, and they are very different guns for different uses.

The TP9 is not a pistol, it is in the same ballpark as an MP5K or Mini Uzi. Which means it is on the small side of what most people consider to be a carbine. Without the folding stock and forward grip the TP9 is football bat of a pistol. It is huge, unwieldy and over-complicated. But as a carbine it is a nice, tight package that has benefits above the MP5K PDW... however for every benefit it has, it has a drawback. The biggest drawback being its incompatibility with pretty much every pistol cal suppressor on the market due to its unique rotating barrel action that necessitates its oversize bell housing of a muzzle. Your choice in suppressors is the B&T factory can... or nothing. That said, as an SBR carbine with the correct (or as correct as I could get on my first gen) it is a very ergonomic and fun thing.

The USW on the other side of the fence is very much a pistol. It is an oddly shaped pistol with additional provisions to have a folding stock mounted to it. And the "folding stock" should not really be seen as much of a stock. Due to its short LOP and undersized butt, the USW's folding stock is more like a folding support that you jam into your shoulder to allow you greater stability when aiming. The gun does not really lend itself to forward grips, you are pretty much stuck with it as is. Which means you are either shooting it as a large roland special style handgun, or you are scrunched up shooting it as a teeny tiny SBR. But much like the TP9 for every positive it has, it has a negative. Yes with the traditionally threaded barrel you can use any common suppressor, but due to its odd shape and accouterments it needs a special holster.

If you forced me to choose one and only one, I'd have to go with the TP9. It is not a decent pistol but it is an excellent 9mm PCC that checks all the boxes a 9mm sub gun clone needs to check. Small, light weight, good ergonomics, good magazines, top rail for diverse optic choices, pretty ammo friendly, and not entirely obnoxious to actually shoot. The big reasons I am not absolutely in love with my USW is because it is a jack of all trades and a master of none. It is not that great of a service pistol due to all the adjustments made to it to allow it to have a stock, it is not that great of an SBR because it is so tiny and its manual of arms is very awkward. What it does do is allow you to carry a PCC SBR in a holster on your hip... even though you can get a similar holster for the TP9, so that selling point is kind of moot. Well, the USW is smaller.

My advice would be avoid the USW, buy a TP9, then if you are so inclined buy the USW stock adapter kit they are making for another existing gun and get 80% of the USW experience for 40% of the asking price.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 9:02:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Better review of the two choices than I could find online! Thank you!  I’m going to start searching for a good deal on the TP9 and the can
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 12:28:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Attachment Attached File

I love both of them in their own way. As, JsARCLIGHT stated the TP9 has more solid footing in the PCC catagory than the USW. The USW takes some getting used to as for as how to shoulder and shoot it with the stock deployed. At least it did for me. The trigger on the USW is light years better than the TP9 IMHO. The USW always gets “what is that?” questions and looks at the range. I don’t see myself ever parting with either but if I could only have one, I’d take the TP9, only because I’m a PCC addict. That being said, I shoot and fondle the USW more.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 9:20:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I have both... and both are SBR'ed... get the TP9.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 10:05:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have both... and both are SBR'ed... get the TP9.
View Quote
Done! Got it this morning off of GB.  Now I just need one of those 11 day form1’s.  Any idea what the overall length is for the form 1?
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 10:18:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Sweet! You won’t regret it, all you need now is the TP9 suppressor.
I used overall length of 20.59in (stock extended) and barrel length 5.11in on my Form 1. The specs are posted on the B&T website for each model.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 10:43:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't forget the B&T holsters. Those are fun to have.

Link Posted: 10/21/2018 11:29:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Got any more pics? Can't see the way it attaches. Will it work with a can or forward grip attached? Lights?
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 4:03:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Got any more pics? Can't see the way it attaches. Will it work with a can or forward grip attached? Lights?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
It engages the trigger guard and rests on the barrel guide..  You can run a foregrip with them.  IIRC there is a specific version that is thigh mounted that accommodates the Rotex.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 8:26:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
The wings on the trigger guard is what the holster/rig catches onto. On the right you can see the cone that centers the muzzle shroud.

This 2nd photo shows the TP9 fully in position with the locking mechanism capturing the trigger guard, and the muzzle shroud over the cone.

The 3rd photo shows the rig from another angle.

Last photo shows the MP9 holster/rig that accepts the TP9/MP9, with the factory suppressor mounted.  B&T basically chopped off the cone portion, and added a small tab to support the setup.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 10:33:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Good choice OP!

The TP9 is sexy, just like your supra!
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 5:08:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Good choice OP!

The TP9 is sexy, just like your supra!
View Quote
Thanks!  I have to stop buying gun stuff so I can get her back on the road.

Picked her up today! Lot’s of curious folks at the gun store checking it out
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 6:22:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Seeing all these dope TP9Ns is really making me wish I had started there instead of getting an APC223. Lol
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 11:51:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Bringing this thread back to life, need more advice

@JsARCLIGHT
@bestiller
@dirtyharriet
@trpclfvr

Where is the best place to engrave?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 12:04:27 AM EDT
[#15]
In regards to engraving and not wanting to ship it off to have it engraved, I was limited to where my local engraver’s CNC machine could fit it and just had him put my NFA info inside the recessed rectangle above the bolt release.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 9:28:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Does anyone know if the TP9 stock would fit the USW? The hinges on the frame look similar, but looks can be deceiving. Using the TP9 stock seems like it would definitely improve a couple of the USW's negatives.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 10:02:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Does anyone know if the TP9 stock would fit the USW? The hinges on the frame look similar, but looks can be deceiving. Using the TP9 stock seems like it would definitely improve a couple of the USW's negatives.
View Quote
No it is a separate design and part number.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 2:34:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Being a separate design and part number doesn't mean it won't fit. A sig folding stock and a sig collapsible stock are different designs and part numbers, but they both can mount on the back of an MCX.

I'm just saying that a glance at the hinge interfaces of the two don't look that different, so I'm curious if the TP9 stock could, despite not being designed to do so, be mounted on the USW.

The stock hinges look almost identical, but if they did fit, you'd clearly need to use the USW's hardware, since it looks like that is different. And the TP9 stock wouldn't clip closed.

Link Posted: 12/22/2018 1:29:17 PM EDT
[#19]
I have both, in regards to putting the TP9 stock on the USW, the TP9 stock hinge is wider than then the mounting hinge on the USW.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 4:52:59 PM EDT
[#20]
That clears it up. Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top