Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2021 5:54:10 AM EDT
Built an .300 Blackout 9" AR pistol sometime back and went all in on it (upwards to $2k+).  Shot 20 rounds to test and then basically lost interest in it due to other guns / busy work life and been in the safe. Now, since it is a custom AR pistol, what are your experiences with regards to the market?

Link Posted: 3/28/2021 8:15:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Custom meaning an established AR manufacturer or well known Smith built it to your spes or custom meaning you put it together in your garage with a mix of parts you liked?

If it's the latter, I'd normally say part it out but the market may be crazy enough right now for you to get your money back selling the complete gun.  In normal times though, home builds rarely sell for the sum of their parts.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 8:28:15 AM EDT
[#2]
^^ this ^^

"Custom" is like "Mil-Spec"...It gets thrown around a lot as a tool but really means not a whole bunch.

Custom to me means, one off. No one has anything comparable.

I would try selling the entire gun on here, GB or Armslist... If that doesn't work.... Part out.

Link Posted: 3/28/2021 8:31:24 AM EDT
[#3]
What ^ said.

Custom is an overused word that means you assembled a bunch of parts into an AR15. It's rare to get your money back on those. You have 3 options here:

1. List it as is and see if anyone bites. Maybe you will get lucky.

2. Part it out.

3. Put it back in the safe and wait until your interest returns. It's a nice looking pistol.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 2:00:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I agree with all of you. I guess ‘custom’ is not an appropriate word here when assembled at with our choice of parts. Will get confused with the actual custom built 1911s or other stuff like that from great gunsmiths to specifications and great level of detail.

Will listing it out or part it out at my FFL here who has a lot of traffic coming in.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 10:07:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm a BO fan, but until ammo comes back, you are kinda hamstrung in trying to sell them now.

JMHO
Doc
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 11:13:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys for the inputs. Actually it sold yesterday.

I had left it at my FFL who had helped me build it to gauge the internet and it sold for $2k within 2 hours. Guess the parts used to build it were attractive to the buyers. In today’s cost I had around $3k plus into it when I built it about a year and half back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top