Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2018 2:40:23 PM EDT
Referring to these:

https://www.skdtac.com/SKD-Armor-10-X-12-Carbine-Plate-Multi-Hit-p/amr.906.htm

Looking to upgrade my armor... cost isn’t too much of an issue.  These seem to be good quality/ratings/weight.

Anything better available?
Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 3:11:48 PM EDT
[#1]
They're single curve and 10x12 only which is a huge mark against it. Other than that I like them. I would look at the Hesco 3610, there is a reason this plate is recommended so much on here. It's a fantastic plate that is very light for type.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 4:13:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They're single curve and 10x12 only which is a huge mark against it. Other than that I like them. I would look at the Hesco 3610, there is a reason this plate is recommended so much on here. It's a fantastic plate that is very light for type.
View Quote
The Hesco is 1.1" thick, which is like wearing a cereal box or phone book on your chest.  The SKD plate is exactly half the thickness, .55".  This should more than make up for the fact that it's a single-curve.

Interestingly, they're almost exactly equal in terms of weight.  The Hesco is 4.5 lbs to the SKD's 4.2 -- but the SKD plate is a Shooter's Cut, whereas the Hesco is a real SAPI.  If they were the same cut, the weights would be identical.  Given the fact that there's a huge disparity in thickness but no disparity at all in weight, I think it's safe to assume that there's probably a lot of NIJ.06 foam on that Hesco plate's strike face, and very little on the SKD.  Which makes sense; the SKD plate isn't certified, so it doesn't need to pass the .06 drop test, so it doesn't need a quarter inch of foam.

The SKD plate was designed to be a low-cost clone of the $1000+ Velocity Systems API-BZ plate.  Similar specs.  As far as I can tell, the Velocity Systems plate isn't certified, either.  It is, however, multi-curve and available in multiple sizes.  It's also marginally thinner and lighter.  You get what you pay for.

Certification isn't everything.  All things considered, I think that the SKD plate is actually preferable to the Hesco 3610, if it is handled with loving care.  1.1" is just too damn thick for a Level III+ plate.  That's thicker than the average Level IV plate.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 5:48:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The Hesco is 1.1" thick, which is like wearing a cereal box or phone book on your chest.  The SKD plate is exactly half the thickness, .55".  This should more than make up for the fact that it's a single-curve.

Interestingly, they're almost exactly equal in terms of weight.  The Hesco is 4.5 lbs to the SKD's 4.2 -- but the SKD plate is a Shooter's Cut, whereas the Hesco is a real SAPI.  If they were the same cut, the weights would be identical.  Given the fact that there's a huge disparity in thickness but no disparity at all in weight, I think it's safe to assume that there's probably a lot of NIJ.06 foam on that Hesco plate's strike face, and very little on the SKD.  Which makes sense; the SKD plate isn't certified, so it doesn't need to pass the .06 drop test, so it doesn't need a quarter inch of foam.

The SKD plate was designed to be a low-cost clone of the $1000+ Velocity Systems API-BZ plate.  Similar specs.  As far as I can tell, the Velocity Systems plate isn't certified, either.  It is, however, multi-curve and available in multiple sizes.  It's also marginally thinner and lighter.  You get what you pay for.

Certification isn't everything.  All things considered, I think that the SKD plate is actually preferable to the Hesco 3610, if it is handled with loving care.  1.1" is just too damn thick for a Level III+ plate.  That's thicker than the average Level IV plate.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Having worn both single curve and multicurve plates, the thickness of the plate won't make up for the fact that it's single curve.  There is no comparison with the comfort and fitment of a multicurve vs. a single curve.  I'll take the extra 1/2" thickness in a multicurve plate every time.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 12:43:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Different strokes for different folks, I guess.  I've worn both types, and, when there's a thickness disparity like this, I'd take the thinner plate every time.  The Hesco plate's top-to-bottom curvature is pretty damn shallow, too.

Link Posted: 10/13/2018 1:06:49 AM EDT
[#5]
AMI Tac 3s
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 11:02:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Different strokes for different folks, I guess.  I've worn both types, and, when there's a thickness disparity like this, I'd take the thinner plate every time.  The Hesco plate's top-to-bottom curvature is pretty damn shallow, too.

https://www.lifeandlibertygear.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/E.jpg
View Quote
Of course we're all different and have different preferences, and there are always other factors to consider aside from comfort.  Different makers will have different curvatures as well. It would be disingenuous to say all are the same.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 9:10:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I only run single rifle mags on my carrier with no soft armor underneath. I ran single curved AR500 which was very thin and niw run multicurved level III+ ceramic 1" thick plates.

The multicurved is WAY more comfortable to me. I dont notice the thickness much if any. IMO you need something on the front left and front right of your warbelt to offset the plate thickness when prone to maintain comfort with the thicker plates, but if you do, the thicker multicurved is the more comfortable setup.

Would I prefer multicurved .5" plates? You bet. But when pushed to choose multicurved thick vs multicurved thin in a light plate I choose multicurved. When pushed to choose multicurved heavy vs single curved heavy (like when price has to be low and its single curved steel or multicurved level IV AlO plates) Id choose multicurved.

My best correlation would be the feeling of wearing your shoes on the wrong feet (left on right foot) vs wearing them on the correct feet. Its that big a difference in comfort and fit.

If you are wearing plates on top of soft armor, that slants things some in the favor of thinner single curved, but I dont think that alone would make me flip. If you run double stacked mags on top of soft armor, I dont have enough experience to say... perhaps that would change my choice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top