Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2018 12:10:49 AM EDT
Just recently traded my Sig MCX for an Auto Ordnance 1927A1 with the 14 inch barrel and perm attached comp. Looking forward to taking it to the range soon, anyone else own one of these? Any issues or tricks to it?
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 1:03:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Work out more.  It is a heavy bitch.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 1:40:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Work out more.  It is a heavy bitch.
View Quote
this
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 6:04:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Stay with full power 230grn RNFMJ ammo and it should run well.
HP and/or SWC bullets will probanly give feeding issues. They sure did in mine.

As other have said, its a heavy beast.

Mine also had a problem of the rear sight mounting screws working loose.
Had to use some Loc-Tite on them.

I also purchased an extra flat forearm so I could shoot it off the bench easier.
The vertical foregrip looks cool but it kinda sucks for sight in/load testing.

I ended up preferring the 30rd stck mags the best.
The 20’s are nice as well.
Drums are cool but weigh a ton and take a lot of time and are expensive.
Sold them. Just kept one for display.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 8:18:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I think that I would make that trade. The Thompson can’t weigh more than the Sig 556R swat. The Sig is a nice rifle, it is just I get tingly when I see the Thompsons.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 11:10:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I think that I would make that trade. The Thompson can’t weigh more than the Sig 556R swat. The Sig is a nice rifle, it is just I get tingly when I see the Thompsons.
View Quote
Heh heh.....

It weighs 5 1/2 pounds more than a 556R unloaded....10 1/4 pounds more with a loaded L drum.....

the 27A1's actually weigh more than a 10" bbl 1928 Thompson SMG

They are neat guns.....

try to find magazines already cut to work in the '27's rather than modifying original's......or you might consider the slight mag catch mod, so standard mags will fit...

If you want a "shooter" drum, the Korean made Crosby replicas are actually much more reliable than West Hurley or Kahr drums. Kahr "C" drums are hit and miss.

Nothing more heartbreaking than finding a box full of 1921 Colt "patent date" XX mags at a gun show only to find they had all been cut to fit a West Hurley semi auto.

A lot of the guys over at the machinegunboards Thompson semi forum install EZ-pull spring kits, and recommend polishing up the feed ramps.

Here is a pic I stole from over there.....a Kahr 1927A1 SBR'd with a '21A style bbl and a set of Dan Blocks furniture........
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 12:08:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had one since 2012.  Got it at a decent price from a LGS on close out.  I had 19 stick mags left over from when I had a full auto Thompson so I did the mag catch mod.  You can still buy kind of rough looking but serviceable WWII surplus mags for less than the new semi mags cost.  I did pick up a full auto again in 2016 so I use the same mags for both guns.

I found that the semi cocking effort, while initially heavy, got reasonable after a few hundred cycles.  Also, to avoid potential damage to the firing pin, don't dry fire unless you have a snap cap in the chamber.

Best of luck and enjoy your Thompson.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 12:19:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Nothing more heartbreaking than finding a box full of 1921 Colt "patent date" XX mags at a gun show only to find they had all been cut to fit a West Hurley semi auto.
View Quote
If I came across any semi modified Colt era "patent date" XX mags and they were otherwise cosmetically good to excellent, I'd pay up to $30 e. for up to four to use as display mags since, IIRC, the unmodified ones are now selling at $85 for so-so condition and up to $150 for excellent.  Even the McGuire era patent date XX mags have gotten pricey.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 11:10:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the info! I heard they are heavy, thats a good thing I work out a lot hahaha. Just something about some old school prohibition era guns that do it for me. I also just recently bought a Cimarron 1911 modeled after the original 1918 WW1 1911's. Figured a Thompson would look good in my collection too, would love to SBR it but I think with the 14 inch barrel it looks a lot better than the 16.5. The one I'm getting comes with a 20rd stick, I might pick up a few others and was looking at a 50rd drum to add with it. Might pick up some extra parts from Kahr just incase the firing pin or something breaks. But I will def have to check out the Korean copy 50rd drums, hopefully they are cheaper than the AO $239 ones.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 11:24:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I got one about 10 years ago on a whim. It was heavy. I couldn’t get the drum that came with it to work but AO quickly sent a replacement. Being a tactical person, it wasn’t my thing but the one thing that made shooting it a blast was the ease with which it would bump fire. It would bump fire without even trying to a 4-5 round burst sometimes. I had no other AO experience to compare it to so I don’t know if it was just that particular gun or if they are all partial to doing that.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 10:26:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Bought one a while back... it looked cool hanging on the wall for a few years but was just way too heavy for me. The only fun I've ever had shooting one of these was a transferable FA one. The only way I would ever buy another would be a FA one... but it would be way down on my MG to get list.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 3:07:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Hope to get one soon.  Looking for a 10.5" bbl SBR on the cheap, but will probably end up buying a one new, if I can find it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 8:34:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I've had one probably for 12+years.  Deluxe "lightweight" model.  I love it, but there's nothing lightweight about it.  I highly recommend buying the horizontal forearm--much easier to shoot with (and I think it looks better).  Also get yourself an original USGI sling--I think Numrich has them.  The drums might take some tinkering but they usually work well--stick mags are easier to change out though.

The bolt is sometimes a pain to pull back--I've heard there is a kit that makes it easier but I've never messed with it.  The only other thing ergonomically I'd like to change is the stock--I have t-rex arms and it's a bit long for me but works.

Sights are actually pretty good for what it is--mine runs like a zero-recoil sewing machine with FMJ and cast 230gr loads and I can drill a coke can down range from 25 to 100yds without a problem.  They are just plain fun.  One of the most fun guns I own.  It would take a lot for me to get rid of it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 10:55:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've had one probably for 12+years.  Deluxe "lightweight" model.  I love it, but there's nothing lightweight about it.  I highly recommend buying the horizontal forearm--much easier to shoot with (and I think it looks better).  Also get yourself an original USGI sling--I think Numrich has them.  The drums might take some tinkering but they usually work well--stick mags are easier to change out though.

The bolt is sometimes a pain to pull back--I've heard there is a kit that makes it easier but I've never messed with it.  The only other thing ergonomically I'd like to change is the stock--I have t-rex arms and it's a bit long for me but works.

Sights are actually pretty good for what it is--mine runs like a zero-recoil sewing machine with FMJ and cast 230gr loads and I can drill a coke can down range from 25 to 100yds without a problem.  They are just plain fun.  One of the most fun guns I own.  It would take a lot for me to get rid of it.
View Quote
Ended up getting a reproduction 50rd drum from Numrich, hopefully it works decent. Ever run the Winchester white box 230gr or the Remington UMC 230gr out of it?
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 9:39:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Ended up getting a reproduction 50rd drum from Numrich, hopefully it works decent. Ever run the Winchester white box 230gr or the Remington UMC 230gr out of it?
View Quote
Winchester white box works great.  Haven't run UMC out of it, but I'm sure it would be fine--I've used UMC brass for some of my reloads and it works great.  BTW, if you reload, a 230gr FMJ/cast bullet over 5.5 grains of Unique makes a great plinking load.

If that drum doesn't work for you and you end up returning it, PM me.  I've got an extra that works.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 11:30:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I had one and sold it because it was too heavy and liked to pierce primers.  The rear sight was nothing like the USGI Lyman, sort of a POS.  Got an HK USC and converted it ala UMP style.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 5:55:56 AM EDT
[#16]
I had one years ago, lightweight, it was junk, got rid of it. Got a M1A back in 98' and it had to go back, jammed, front sight fell off. This was when Kahr took over, got it
back and it worked great, ended up selling it to my brother in law. Bought the 1927 SBR in 2008 and at the suggestion of a friend bought 4 drums from Numrich that
were made in Taiwan and it runs like a clock, love it. I believe the drums are still around for around $179 each at different sites.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 6:38:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I had one and sold it because it was too heavy and liked to pierce primers.  The rear sight was nothing like the USGI Lyman, sort of a POS.  Got an HK USC and converted it ala UMP style.
View Quote
Im noticing this rear sight notch sucks lol. I have a USC converted to UMP by Tom Bostic and love it.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 6:38:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Winchester white box works great.  Haven't run UMC out of it, but I'm sure it would be fine--I've used UMC brass for some of my reloads and it works great.  BTW, if you reload, a 230gr FMJ/cast bullet over 5.5 grains of Unique makes a great plinking load.

If that drum doesn't work for you and you end up returning it, PM me.  I've got an extra that works.
View Quote
Will do! thanks
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 6:40:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Heh heh.....

It weighs 5 1/2 pounds more than a 556R unloaded....10 1/4 pounds more with a loaded L drum.....

the 27A1's actually weigh more than a 10" bbl 1928 Thompson SMG

They are neat guns.....

try to find magazines already cut to work in the '27's rather than modifying original's......or you might consider the slight mag catch mod, so standard mags will fit...

If you want a "shooter" drum, the Korean made Crosby replicas are actually much more reliable than West Hurley or Kahr drums. Kahr "C" drums are hit and miss.

A lot of the guys over at the machinegunboards Thompson semi forum install EZ-pull spring kits, and recommend polishing up the feed ramps.

Here is a pic I stole from over there.....a Kahr 1927A1 SBR'd with a '21A style bbl and a set of Dan Blocks furniture........
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n265/altemuej/21a.jpg
View Quote
Thanks for the information! I will have to check out the EZ-Pull spring kit and polishing the feed ramps.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 3:13:51 PM EDT
[#20]
I’ve been on the verge of buying an AO Thompson SBR for years now.  I’ve always just stopped short because I’ve read of so many problems with them.

I’ve been looking again because I figure if I keep coming back to it I just need to, “pull the trigger” and buy one and send off for my stamp.  Any advice for purchasing?  What are the normal things people do to get these to run reliably?
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 8:06:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Can or has anyone SBR'd one of these by cutting the existing barrel versus barrel replacement - Seems like that is the most cost effective way of SBR'ing but might require a front sight that is pinned back on - I wonder if anyone makes one or if chopping save and modify the orignal sight/comp and sleeve/bushing it to match the diameter the barrel at the short length muzzle?

Anyone done it?  These are so ugly with the 16" barrel it hurts to look.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 10:27:33 AM EDT
[#22]
I had a “Thompson” at one point and it was, no matter how much I wished otherwise, a POS.

Whatever you do if you own one of these things, never, ever examine a real Thompson sub machine gun.  If you do, you will come to the sad, inevitable realization (as I did) that what you have put all that money in is a lousy copy, poorly done, and suitable only for posers.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 10:46:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I had a “Thompson” at one point and it was, no matter how much I wished otherwise, a POS.

Whatever you do if you own one of these things, never, ever examine a real Thompson sub machine gun.  If you do, you will come to the sad, inevitable realization (as I did) that what you have put all that money in is a lousy copy, poorly done, and suitable only for posers.
View Quote
Well now, that makes me feel good about wanting one & not being able to get an original...  
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 5:12:51 PM EDT
[#24]
I have the 1927A1, I got it as a gift from the wife around 15 years ago at christmas one year

The gun is pretty heavy but quite accurate. I want to shorten the barrel and have the cutts comp remounted. I use stick mags in it and it seems to love steel case. I have only fired about 500 rounds through it. Fun gun but man its not very portable
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 9:42:25 AM EDT
[#25]
My experience has been the complete opposite.  I have had my 1927A1 for about 10 years and love it.  I SBR’d mine long ago and swapped the 16” barrel out for a new 10.5” made from original Colt blueprints.  I also swapped out the furniture for original Colt surplus furniture and I now have a copy of a 1921 as close as you’re going to get.  Yes it’s a heavy beast but so was the original, mine weighs almost exactly the same.  If I want to shoot something light I will pull something else from my safe.  If I feel nostalgic I grab the Thompson.

Mine eats every type of ammo I feed it including steel cased and my 50 round drum has always run 100% but I mainly shoot stick mags because they are much faster to load and easier to handle.  Can’t say enough good things about the 1927A1...............if you SBR it.  As a 16” non NFA rifle.............”meh”.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top