Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2020 10:51:11 AM EDT
Does anyone know why the upper and lower have small white dots all over after anodizing?  They are New Frontier AR-9 parts.

This is only my second attempt at anodizing. I did one with black RIT die a couple years ago, also a New Frontier lower and it turned out pretty good just a little to glossy. So this time I blasted the lower with 150 grit to try and knock the gloss down a little.

Other wise I used the same process of degrease, clean, clean, clean. Desmut for 5 minutes,  distilled rinse/soak,  into acid bath 12 volts, lower was about 4 amps and upper was 6.5 amps. Used the 720 calculations for time,  distilled rinse , into RIT gray synthetic dye for 20 at 130-140 degrees, then boiled for 20 minutes.

I’m pretty sure they are 7075. The upper was very rough texture compared to the smooth lower so I didn’t oxide blast that one. The only odd thing I noticed was there was some small debris particles in the acid bath. This was the same acid I used from my first lower and I didn’t notice it until I agitated the parts while anodizing. I’m guessing it came off the lead sheet that was left in the acid for a couple years.

What would cause this to happen?

Crap I can’t upload a picture.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top