Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 1:18:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Great update.  It looks really close.  You might consider using a Mk II barrel while waiting for the Mk V.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 9:52:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice OP!

I have a Mk III kit that needs to be brought back to life. This thread helps to give some inspiration / motivation to start it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 11:25:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Great update.  It looks really close.  You might consider using a Mk II barrel while waiting for the Mk V.
View Quote

I have thought about it but the problem would be no front sight then.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 11:26:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Nice OP!

I have a Mk III kit that needs to be brought back to life. This thread helps to give some inspiration / motivation to start it.
View Quote

Make a thread or at least post pics when you do!
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 11:46:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I have thought about it but the problem would be no front sight then.
View Quote

Red dot?
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 2:29:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Red dot?
View Quote

I could but...

1: Eventually I want the correct barrel. Putting a little spike bayonet on a PCC is funny.

2: Most places are OOS on those too.

3: I don’t really want to play with stamps and such yet and any 16” are oos for sure.

4: I have to replace a windshield so I’d rather not buy a barrel that would just temporarily be on this thing until it’s siren song called me to make a second since I have a barrel.

It will happen when it happens.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 8:46:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Well fuck me running. Project started months later than I wanted because of the water heater dying. Now I got a water leak between floors to get fixed. Definitely not getting a second barrel just to finish it faster now.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 7:59:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Worked on it today. It’s to the point that I can basically hold together a completed receiver minus barrel with my hands.

Attachment Attached File

Used a flap wheel disc on the grinder to get the last of the adhesive off and make the mag housing / dust cover rotate easier.

Welded the end plate to the spring guide rods. Like a dumb dumb I grabbed the end plate to tweak it for the second tack weld. It was hot... went through the glove into me in a instant. Oh well not too bad.

Attachment Attached File

Here was my biggest mistake and I’m sure why they ship 2 hammer and 2 recoil springs. Trimming them I cut at least the recoil spring too far. The bitch was hard to charge. Now if  the linear hammer is cocked the bolt can go back about a quarter of an inch no spring pressure. So I’ll definitely have to work on the second one. But these will do for now.

Reassembling the fire control group was a bitch. It’s not super intuitive. Take pics before disassembly. Eventually I turned to a cgi sten mk2 disassembly on YouTube and that got me close. Once ready I slid the receiver in yep when the fire control group is properly assembled it will hold back the linear hammer and release it with a trigger pull. The slot in the bottom of the tube in front of your sear hole holds the semi auto seat resetting lever in the center so it always works. The selector originally pushes the lever to the left so the cutaway section of the bolt the ejector interacts with doesn’t hit it allowing full auto fire.

Attachment Attached File

Mock assembly. You can see a problem I didn’t foresee with my method of getting the last remnants of the old reciever out of the rear sight ring. The little step down area I cut off that removed a good portion of the spot welds so most came out. But look close you can see my nasty in need of smoothing out j cuts that the rear retaining piece locks into are exposed. That’s the point of that step down piece I guess. so now me the village idiot of welding will need to cut a strip of sheet metal and weld that on as a new step down. Oh well. Besides that I need to smooth out the hole the ratchet arm that acts on the barrel not slides in. It’s close enough tolerance just letting it down it doesn’t go into place fully and needs a whack from a rubber mallet. The j cuts rear of the tube need filing to make the rear retainer slide in easily it doesn’t turn easily now tolerance is tight enough I need to use a screw driver to turn it now.

So official list of steps.

1: smooth out the rear j cuts and mag housing barrel nut retaining ratchet hole (I can’t figure out a better way to say it)

2: read IO instructions to modify fire selector into a safety and maybe do that.

3: weld the reciever tube to the fire control group. Cut a strip of sheet metal and weld that on to serve as the sight ring tube step down and cover up the j cuts from the outside.

4: smooth up welds paint it and mount the pistol grip. (It’s swelled I’m not sure if from oil or from a different gun)

5: wait for 16” barrels to come back in stock order one, drill and mount it’s indexing pin in the reciever. Mount sight to barrel might also require drilling.

6: fabricate some sort of extended hand guard.

7: pew pew?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top