Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2023 5:07:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: timspawn]
I have some rounds that have what looks like a turned brass projectile. The cases are WCC and are dated early 2000's. The ammo cans they are in only have white stenciled 50 cal round painted on them with no other writing.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 6:11:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably reloads.  Most likely 800 grain....Lehigh is a popular maker of turned brass projos for the 50.  I'm not aware of any WCC loaded with turned brass bullets.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 10:14:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mk-211] [#2]
Definitely reloads, look at the seating differences in them.

Look like Barnes 750 gr solids.

I would pull them down, trim the cases to 3.90", new powder, re-seat the projos. If using in a semi, you'll have to seat them to 5.45" to fit in the magazine. Bolt gun, seat them to fit the rifle.

ETA: can you post a pic of the headstamp? It might've been made by HSM, they use a lot of WCC and CAL 50 (Winchester civilian) brass.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 6:16:18 PM EDT
[#3]
They are all within a few thousandths of each other as far as OAL except for one round.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 6:49:30 PM EDT
[#4]
That was factory new brass, WCC comes that way.

My guess is that it came from one of larger companies that buy the components, then loads large batches. Like I said, HSM used a ton of Win. Brass and Barnes projos, along with AMAX to make their match ammo. HSM used orange boxes for their 10 round boxes, not sure if they ever did large lots in ammo cans.

Did you buy it from someone along with a rifle? Possible to ask them where it came from?
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 7:06:13 PM EDT
[#5]
The guy I got it from only stated it was a match/sniper quality round. I also got some some black box "Harlow" rounds that I believe were loaded by AAA. The guy had tens of thousands of rounds of ammo so I have a large spectrum of 50 to go through.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 8:01:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, the Harlows run AAA Ammo, I believe they also make/made their own projos. I think I have a box of their turned solids somewhere in a closet.

What are you shooting them out of? Be sure not to ram home some of the match rounds, they could get stuck in your chamber.

Can you pull a round, you can always compare them.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 8:37:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Bluegrass Armory Viper with an AWC Turbodyne.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 8:46:39 PM EDT
[#8]
You should be okay, probably has a regular chamber and everything should work fine. If it's match stuff and loaded longer then 5.45", just be sure to check that it fits.

I wouldn't shoot someone else's reloads, just be careful to inspect the ammo you got. Don't need anything going Kentucky Ballistic on you.

Link Posted: 3/12/2023 8:51:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah I respect the 50 for sure. I try an avoid kabooms.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 12:16:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Speaking of reloads or remanufactured ammo. What is the general consensus on ammo loaded by TALON?
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 2:02:56 PM EDT
[#11]
It's good plinking stuff, started out buying it from them and ammoman in the early 2000's. Talon Tina used to come on Biggerhammer when it was the only 50 forum and post deals on 50 BMG. Ammoman would mirror their sales, usually had the best deals on surplus 50 BMG ammo out there.

The brass was surplus and worked great for reloading, that's how most people got their first batch of brass for reloading.

There was a lot that was released that the shoulders were set back a little to far, people had issues but Tina came on BH and said they would take any back that people had issues with. The two of them were the best thing going on surplus back then until they both screwed up, Talon went out of business, don't know what happened to ammoman.

I would buy it any day of the week.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 2:16:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I sold thousands of rounds of it to a guy with an M2. I kept a bit for my bolt rifle. I just wasn't sure as to the quality. Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 9:28:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By timspawn:
Speaking of reloads or remanufactured ammo. What is the general consensus on ammo loaded by TALON?
View Quote

We tried some of the Talon stuff at Barrett. What we got was loaded HOT or loaded just enough to barely open the action. We ended up pulling it all down and selling the components.  The powder we soaked it in oil to render it unusable.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top