Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/27/2018 1:58:27 PM EDT
I have seen a lot of references in this forum lately to aluminum being an undesirable material for .22lr cans because there are limited options for safely and easily cleaning them after prolonged use.

My only .22lr can currently is a SS Sparrow, but I have been thinking about a Warlock II since they are so inexpensive right now. I use an ultrasonic tank to clean my Advantage Arms .22lr conversion kit, and some Gemtech Multimount rear mounts, all of which are aluminum (I think the AA kit is painted, while the GT parts are anodized). I have been using the following product, which meets Boeing specs for safely cleaning aircraft parts, aluminum or otherwise. I have not seen any damage after several years of use.

I am not a material science expert by any means, but I thought this was worthy of discussion - would you trust this stuff with uncoated AL baffles, or still steer towards steel or TI for your future .22lr can purchases?

Amazon Product
  • New aircraft and precision cleaning product, cuts through tough, built up grease, oil, dirt, pollution, insect residue and impact soils
  • It causes no harm to aircraft structural metals, plastics, paints, or coatings
  • Documented conformance to variety of aircraft testing specifications

Link Posted: 4/27/2018 2:36:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I also use only Simple Green in my ultrasonic cleaner at work (carburetors mostly).  I tried Purple Power when the cleaner first arrived but it ate the carburetor up pretty badly.  You can also run a part in the cleaner too long and even with Simple Green it will start to eat the aluminum.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 2:53:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I got a cheap soda blaster off amazon for cleaning my aluminium baffles in my form 1 can, works great
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 3:02:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:You can also run a part in the cleaner too long and even with Simple Green it will start to eat the aluminum.
View Quote
OP is not asking about the run of the mill Simple Green. He's referring to a specific product designed to clean Aircraft and other equipment primarily made of Aluminum.
Normal Simple Green is not to have prolonged exposure to Aluminum. The Mfr limits Aluminum exposure to "never more than 10 minutes".

For the product the OP is referring, the Mfr states:
"These products were initially for the aircraft industry and extensive testing shows that they are safe and effective on a variety of metals and other sensitive
surfaces even in the most extreme circumstances.

Either way, Simple Green (both products) are degreasers. I've never found a ton of grease in my suppressor, after firing. Soda blasting the baffles works much better and I've heard many people give the brake fluid treatment a positive thumbs up.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 3:16:40 PM EDT
[#4]
That version of simple green is chemically compatible with aluminum. Normal simple green, or any caustic (basic, pH >7) cleaner will (eventually) attack aluminum.

The scouring 'bubbles' of an ultrasonic cleaner can, depending on power level, soak duration, part geometry, and the phases of the moon attack aluminum, some grades faster than others.  You can test this with thin aluminum foil to see what the cavitation action does.  For a more practical test throw a chunk of hardware store aluminum or an anodized Chinese key chain carabiner in and see how long it takes your cleaner to hammer the substrate metal.

Judicious use of ultrasonic on heavily soiled aluminum parts is a useful tool.  Trying to get every last spec off your parts could lead to cleaner sections getting roughed up.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 10:00:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top