Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2023 3:21:30 PM EDT
I have 2 SR-15 16" (ya know for redundancy) but have a 11.5" Mod 2 on the way.  Any thoughts on (cough cough) cheaper lowers?  I was planning to put it on one of the other lowers, but it seems a shame to have a complete upper just sitting there.  

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 3:24:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Every Knight needs a Pony.  Might as well slap on an Anderson!
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 3:39:21 PM EDT
[#2]
LMT defender.
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 4:12:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Haha!  Nice, will take a look now
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 4:13:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I do love my MARS H, so I'm a fan of LMT.  Didn't realize you could run one on a defender lower.  Thanks for that info
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 4:22:24 PM EDT
[#5]
MARS gets my vote

Link Posted: 3/14/2023 4:38:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Pws, lwrc, lmt
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 5:05:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Embittered] [#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TheComedian226:
I do love my MARS H, so I'm a fan of LMT.  Didn't realize you could run one on a defender lower.  Thanks for that info
View Quote

Better not, it might blow up. Mod 2 uppers are known to self-destruct when placed on an inappropriate lower.
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 5:16:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Lots of nice ambi lowers out there

LMT MARS-L
Radian ADAC
ADM UIC
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 9:34:14 AM EDT
[#9]
MARS.

All my ambi KAC lowers now sit in the safe, no sense beating them up with the MARS offering the exact same feature set with a better ambi bolt catch.

Anyone want a QD cup KAC lower?
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 12:16:28 PM EDT
[#10]
MARS-L. The best current ambi lower option.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 3:36:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanSheepDog] [#11]
LMT MARS is closest to what KAC is moving to with the KS series

Might be a bit of a “shelf” or “overhang” on one side or the other, but it is 100% functional. Just put my first 80 rounds down the tube last weekend.

I also like the KNS anti-rotational pins because they guide my trigger finger right onto the bolt catch and give extra “durability/piece of mind.”
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 1:07:32 PM EDT
[#12]
LMT MARS
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 1:13:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Probably an unpopular opinion, but I don’t have a super huge need for complete ambi controls and I’m of the opinion a properly machined standard forged lower will perform well regardless of cost or manufacturer.

Because of that, mine rides on a F1’d PSA blem lower.  All of the components are of much higher quality, but I haven’t detected any downsides to the lower itself in the 4ish years they’ve been together.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 9:40:36 AM EDT
[#14]
+1 for MARS
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 2:56:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PabloMcGlock] [#15]
I have several factory KAC rifles and SBRs, but just bought a 14.5” Mod 2 upper and P/W it (fucking love it) I wasn’t about to pay these retard market prices for a KAC lower. I went with the LMT MARS-L and couldn’t be happier.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 11:28:47 AM EDT
[#16]
+1 for Mars L

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 12:23:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I own 3 sr15s and 2 sr25s. All  of them have the MARS lowers. I couldn't see paying the premium for the KAC lower, when I find the MARS to be a better lower. Flared magwell and the fully ambi bolt catch make it a no brainer to me. Buy ammo with the money saved.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 4:00:16 PM EDT
[#18]
I feel like the collector crowd will hate me. I just had my KAC QD cup lower engraved because I form 1ed it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:44:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: moorees335] [#19]
I’m paying down a new CQB upper with 3.2. I’m considering the LMT Mars Lower but also one I haven’t seen any one talk about that is a little more new but the PWS Mod 2 with release and hold. I like that it is forged versus billet and generally the other billet options out.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 9:20:13 PM EDT
[#20]
I think theyre ugly but to each their own.

I like the utilitarian/very GI lines of the Mars and KAC IWS lowers
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 8:17:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Didn’t want to start a whole new thread and since there are a few LMT lower owners…

Is the LMT ambi safety compatible with the scalloped KAC lever?
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 12:15:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Gatorvet:
Didn’t want to start a whole new thread and since there are a few LMT lower owners…

Is the LMT ambi safety compatible with the scalloped KAC lever?
View Quote

I've tried to add a scalloped KAC lever to the right side of 2 different MARS ambi safeties and neither would accept the KAC lever. So my broad assumption is no. You would need to swap out the entire safety.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 2:53:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By ClangClang:

I've tried to add a scalloped KAC lever to the right side of 2 different MARS ambi safeties and neither would accept the KAC lever. So my broad assumption is no. You would need to swap out the entire safety.
View Quote

Same here, tried the KAC scalloped for right side or entire safety and does not work so I just stuck with the ambi safeties that came with the LMT stripped lowers
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:52:44 AM EDT
[#24]
I dropped a colt safety with short lever in mine. I prefer that to the scalloped safety. However, ad others have said, i dont think the KAC and LMT are compatible.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 9:27:08 PM EDT
[#25]
My OCD is so great, I cannot even think about a KAC upper on anything but a KAC lower.

But I will say, the MARS lower/rifles are fantastic, KAC quality for 1/10 of the price

Link Posted: 6/15/2023 11:30:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By 77Bronc:
My OCD is so great, I cannot even think about a KAC upper on anything but a KAC lower.

But I will say, the MARS lower/rifles are fantastic, KAC quality for 1/10 of the price

View Quote

😂 KAC quality. LMT wishes.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 12:35:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Embittered:

View Quote

Having multiple examples of both KAC IWS and LMT MARS-L lowers, I'd have to say the quality is very comparable IMO.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 10:27:14 AM EDT
[#28]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Hmmmmmmmm? Am I wrong but didn’t LMT have an agreement at one time to make KAC components?  

I know this is a KAC forum and the tolerance for deviating from not praising KAC is very small, but I have them both and I will put my LMTs up against my KAC rifles any day.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 1:31:49 PM EDT
[#29]

Hmmmmmmmm? Am I wrong but didn't LMT have an agreement at one time to make KAC components?  

I know this is a KAC forum and the tolerance for deviating from not praising KAC is very small, but I have them both and I will put my LMTs up against my KAC rifles any day.  
View Quote
LMT has been having some QC issues lately. I also have some LMTs and I would not put them up against each other. But I also dont think they are in the same lanes.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 1:33:36 PM EDT
[#30]
If I was going to run a lower other than KAC I would run a SOLGW/FCD Ambi Billet Lower Receiver
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 9:23:44 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

Am a MARS owner, but yes ^^^
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 10:52:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By themonk:
LMT has been having some QC issues lately. I also have some LMTs and I would not put them up against each other. But I also dont think they are in the same lanes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By themonk:

Hmmmmmmmm? Am I wrong but didn't LMT have an agreement at one time to make KAC components?  

I have all older LMT equipment, my MARS rifles are from the very early releases, in fact, when I bought my first MARS, the guy at the gun shop said these jest came out.  As far as my collection goes, I have never had any issues what so ever
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 8:15:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Their finish isnt as polished as KAC. They can also be a little off-center. Mine is like that. Doesn’t affect function but it is noticeable.

This is a MARS H, but my SR-15/MARS L combo looks like this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/LewisMachineTool/comments/zjfi4n/sr25marsh_out_of_spec/
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 1:16:18 PM EDT
[#34]
the MARS lower is fantastic, KAC quality for 1/10 of the price
View Quote

Got a link ?
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 3:04:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Embittered] [#35]
Originally Posted By friskydingo:

Having multiple examples of both KAC IWS and LMT MARS-L lowers, I'd have to say the quality is very comparable IMO.
View Quote

Having had multiple examples of rifles, uppers, and lowers I’d say LMT misses the mark a lot more often. Their test firing procedures alone are essentially blems for any other brand and that’s not to speak of the piss-poor machining people have been complaining about “recently” that I noticed over two years ago.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 9:32:41 PM EDT
[#36]
I bought the PWS Lower today from Primary Arms...discount of little more than 20%. Plan to SBR it, install an SSA or SSA-X...the LMT lower and pedigree right now wasn't the most important to me...I wanted a forged lower, the ambi features with a magazine button/release recessed and flared magwell. It will be a few more months until I pay off the CQB, but I expect it to my toughest set up.

KAC CQB Mod 2/PWS MK1 Mod 2-M, Geissele SSA(X), Aimpoint T-2 w/Scalarworks 1.93, M340DFT w/DS00 and Modlite Modbutton, Surefire SF3P and RC2...sling and rail panels tbd...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top