Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2020 9:48:55 PM EDT
A sticky in the air rifle sent me here.

What are the legalities of suppressing an air rifle?.
I know Gamo has a whisper version

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 10:12:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Integral I think you are fine, detachable and you might have issues
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 11:38:01 PM EDT
[#2]
You may find if you shoot indoors frequently, a lead dust collector might be a great addition to your airgun accessories.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 6:21:22 AM EDT
[#3]
As long as it can't be easily attached to a firearm you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:49:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I recently bought a Gamo Hornet Maxxim .22 cal air rifle for my dad.   It has Gamo's "whisper"  technology and it is very quiet.   I did not run it side by side with my RAR Predator .22 and TBAC 22TD can, but it was certainly darned close in sound.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 5:15:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
A sticky in the air rifle sent me here.

What are the legalities of suppressing an air rifle?.
I know Gamo has a whisper version

Thanks
View Quote

There is no federal law that makes silencing an air rifle illegal.

Your location says FM, USA.  I have no idea what the state and local laws of FM, USA are. You should check.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 10:10:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ThisWildAdventure:

There is no federal law that makes silencing an air rifle illegal.

Your location says FM, USA.  I have no idea what the state and local laws of FM, USA are. You should check.
View Quote

There may not be a law that is written to say exactly that, but there is a federal agency that interprets another law, and enforces said law, and their interpretation of that law makes it illegal to make, buy, sell, or possess a removable air rifle silencer without the appropriate forms, fees and approval.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 10:24:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Just about every air gun manufacturer has factory moderated guns now. You can buy aftermarket moderators as long as they aren't built so they can attach to a firearm. Most are made of delrin or aluminum. Some states are a no-go. I think Michigan doesn't like them.

Last high-end air gun I had was a PCP with a moderator that was the size of a beer can. All you heard was the click of the hammer and then whatever the pellet hit. It was sci-fi movie silent.

Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:51:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By crazyelece:there is a federal agency that interprets another law, and enforces said law, and their interpretation of that law makes it illegal to make, buy, sell, or possess a removable air rifle silencer without the appropriate forms, fees and approval.
View Quote

Cite your source.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 12:31:26 AM EDT
[#9]
22 prone shooters use what is called a bloob tube

It is just an aluminum cylinder that extends the sight radius and helps the bullet stabilize

Before the wind effects it. Don't know if this would work
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 1:51:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Lol, they are completely legal unless you get one that would somehow attach to a real rifle - so don't do that obviously. I've ordered one for all of mine, a few from DonnyFL.

Air rifles are not firearms.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 2:46:45 AM EDT
[#11]
A sheriff deputy was once questioning me about my suppressed Airforce Talon .22, he asked if it could be modified to shoot .22lr.

I told him "shit man, a decent machinist can probably make anything shoot .22lr". He actually accepted that as a reasonable answer and I walked
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 9:10:11 AM EDT
[#12]

Cite your source.
View Quote

BATFE opinion

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/are-paintball-and-airgun-sound-suppressers-considered-nfa-weapons

I personally tried to walk this line in my younger years for paintball and no matter what I tried it didn't fly if I didn't want to submit a form 1.

Many years later Gamo came out with their rifle, and IIRC the determining factor that made it pass muster was that it could not be removed from the barrel and the barrel could not be easily removed from the rifle.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 5:34:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By crazyelece:

BATFE opinion

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/are-paintball-and-airgun-sound-suppressers-considered-nfa-weapons
View Quote

Your cited source does not provide support for your contention that ALL "removabl­e air rifle silencers" are considered NFA weapons.

Try again.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 1:22:33 PM EDT
[#14]

Your cited source does not provide support for your contention that ALL "removabl­e air rifle silencers" are considered NFA weapons.

Try again.
View Quote

Well if BATFE can take the silencer off your air rifle, and mount it to a gun (even if an adapter had to be made) and it works as a silencer, you have an illegal silencer.

IIRC there was case law to back it up, but I don't have it on hand and I'm not looking it up.

I do know that I tried jumping through a lot of hoops back in the day to get what I wanted and it wasn't possible without permanently fixing it all together, which wouldn't work for my application in paintball.

You do you, but if it were legal don't you think you'd likely be able to buy them at walmart right next to the Daisy red riders?
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 2:16:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:if it were legal don't you think you'd likely be able to buy them at walmart right next to the Daisy red riders?
View Quote

No, because Daisy Red Ryders do not lend themselves to being easily silenced by the average consumer.  

There are many legitimate air gun silencer companies in America. None of them are hiding in the dark web. Stop trying to de-legitimize these businesses with your unproven assertions.  

https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/airgun-silencers/
https://donnyfl.com
https://www.krale.shop/en/sport-shooting/gun-accessories/silencers/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top