Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2022 1:07:33 AM EDT
I have a LMT 40mm and a Pace 40mm/12g adapter.  I looked through my shotgun shell stash and found Winchester 3-1/2" 00 buckshot loads and thought "These would both hurt me and the launcher".

Has anyone tried the Aguila mini shells with the seven #4 buck + four #00 buck loading?  They're smaller and less velocity so you'd think they'd hurt less.

I wonder how effective any buckshot round would be fired from such a short adapter.  Weigh in on this if you're able.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 11:56:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: grog18b] [#1]
40MM launchers are pretty robust, speaking of the standard mount. Not sure about rail mounts as I don't have one. I have fired all sorts of "adapters" from the 4x.410, to a specially made for me 10ga adapter. The 10ga I fired 3" magnum turkey loads. No, I wouldn't want to fire it a lot, but I did fire it over 5x with no issues. It is the most "kicking" adapter I've fired. GROG

ETA- as far as "effectiveness" goes, as effective as a sawn off shotgun at close ranges. Effectiveness drops drastically with increase in ranges.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 1:33:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you Grog!  My LMT is a standard receiver mount.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 4:23:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know about the mini-shells, but I've fired lots of standard 2-3/4" shells out of my 203 and they have less recoil than some of the 40mm loads.

I wouldn't expect much for accuracy or precision.  An extremely short smooth bore in those adaptors is not good for grouping.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 6:08:55 PM EDT
[#4]
My concern was from a colleague who owns a Serbu Super Shorty who told me that although 2-3/4" buck shells make a huge fireball and ungodly noise, the pellets would be rolling on the ground fifty feet from where he fired it with barely enough energy to knock over a Matchbox car.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 11:44:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PvtCowboy:
My concern was from a colleague who owns a Serbu Super Shorty who told me that although 2-3/4" buck shells make a huge fireball and ungodly noise, the pellets would be rolling on the ground fifty feet from where he fired it with barely enough energy to knock over a Matchbox car.
View Quote

Someone is exaggerating.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 12:44:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By NAM:

Someone is exaggerating.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Someone is exaggerating.

You might not be able to hit the broad side of a barn...from the inside, but what you did hit at 50 ft. would definitely know it - especially with the bigger pellets. Lethal, maybe not, but I'm confident it would be painful if it hit you.

YMMV
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 9:22:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Someone is exaggerating.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Someone is exaggerating.

Yeah.  I always heard that 12 gauge makes 90% of its velocity in the first 10 inches of barrel.

I know that I hit a wounded deer at 140 yards with my 13" barrel slug gun and I bowled it over ass over head.  I would never have taken that shot it the deer hadn't already been hit, but it worked.

Even from a six inch barrel, I'd imaged buckshot would be pretty lethal at typical shotgun distances.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 4:25:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Update:

I finally got out to the nearby hills to run some shotgun shells through the 12g adapter in my M203.  I didn't find any Aguila brand mini shells but I did pick up some available Federal mini shells loaded with #8 shot.  

Wow-wee, I suppose I underestimated the clobbering power of a 12 gauge shell out of a very short barrel.  The recoil was stout and down range penetration of 00 and 000 pellets seemed fairly powerful.  They'll go right through the metal door of a stripped and abandoned Acura MDX at 15 yards and dent the inside of the metal on the other side of the car.   The pattern was somewhere like a medium pizza pan at that range.

Disappointing news is that some loads didn't fire reliably even after resetting the striker by opening the barrel a little, slamming it shut, and pulling the trigger again twice or thrice.  The Federal mini shells have a strange hemispherically-shaped primer and were quite hard.  Those shells only got dented a bit by the firing pin and performed terribly. Other shell brands using flat shaped primers seemed to fire just fine for the most part but I did get at least one FTF among those.

The shells that reliably fired were these Sellier & Bellot 2-3/4" 00 buckshot loads I had that come in a transparent hull.  Also the USGI surplus military 00 buck shells in the green plastic hull (sold all over America in five round no-frills generic cardboard cartons; I'm sure you've all seen
them) ran just great.  These rounds also cycle my Benelli M1S90 reliably whereas not all other shells will.  

Overall I am pretty impressed.  I will not make a huge habit of firing shotgun shells in my M203 because it's awkward and I can only fire just about ten before I'm wanting to call it quits.  And 3-1/2" Magnum shells are absolutely punishing.  All shells fired were really double extra loud as well.  The extra length of the M203 barrel acts like a trumpet bell and turns loudness up to 11.

For anyone else using a 12g adapter in their M203, you'll need to bring a foot long wooden dowel with you to pound out fired shells.  That 3-1/2" Magnum 00 load practically molded it's hull permanently to the adapter.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top