Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2022 4:52:24 PM EDT
This is my first time suppressing rimfire, I've never bothered with .22s before but they seem to be so much fun suppressed and good to get the kids going on.

I have some of the federal 325 packs of "standard velocity" ammo advertised for use with semi autos, stated velocity is 1200fps.  I thought maybe out of a pistol this would be subsonic but my first trip to the range says, "no".  I have a GSG 1911 so 5" barrel and there was definitely a small crack witch each shot.

I have some CCI "Quiet" but at just 710fps I don't think that will cycle a pistol.

CCI has both "subsonic" and "standard velocity" advertised within 20fps of each other at 1050 and 1070 fps respectively and these look like good bets but could potentially be supersonic in colder weather from a rifle, no?

What is everyone using for subsonics in both rifles and pistols?
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 5:36:20 PM EDT
[#1]
CCI standard works well for pistols.

I've also had decent luck with gem tech and Aguila standard velocity ammo.

Good luck finding any of the CCI marketed semi auto or suppressor subsonic ammo.

Correct CCI quiet won't cycle semi autos, but it's nice if you have a suppressed 22 bolt or lever gun.

If you're barrel is 4.5" or less the bulk pack stuff will usually stay subsonic in semi autos.

I hate typing on my phone.....
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 7:05:27 PM EDT
[#2]
There are a few good options, but the one that is almost always available and works with every host is the CCI SV.

-Mike
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 7:07:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
CCI standard works well for pistols.

Good luck finding any of the CCI marketed semi auto or suppressor subsonic ammo.

View Quote

I also shoot CCI SV out of my semi-autos because I can never find the CCI suppressor stuff. Works great.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 7:23:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I like the AE suppressor stuff that is jacketed. Runs a little cleaner. But CCI standard will serve you well out of a pistol.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 8:12:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah just gotta play around with it, for example I have some 1050fps cci segmented that sound good and then I have some 1060fps winchester silver tips that are loud as hell (and have terrible q.c.)
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 8:41:57 PM EDT
[#6]
CCI SV.

If I really want to get extra quiet, I'll go for Quiet SA, also from CCI.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 8:56:25 PM EDT
[#7]
CCI SV. The cheap supersonic stuff is only a hair louder.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 9:16:04 PM EDT
[#8]
CCI standard velocity is always the safest bet.  I also shoot alot of the Norma TAC 22 because its been extremely accurate out of my KIDD 10/22 barrel.  Kind of on the expensive side but its some of the best 22lr I've ever tried.  Anything labeled match ammo for 22lr will be subsonic by the way.  If your in a pinch its better than nothing if the higher cost isn't a deal breaker.

I keep the CCI quiet stuff on hand for the manually operated guns.  My Lil Badger with either of my cans sound ridiculous with it.  I swear the hammer falling is louder.  That is a bona fide backyard quiet combination if you have a squirrel problem to solve.

Link Posted: 5/15/2022 9:23:51 PM EDT
[#9]
For bolt rifles, I like aguila subs.
For pistol, I use fed bulk pack, but my gsg 1911 has the 3" bbl, so everything is subsonic out of it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 9:48:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks like CCI SV it is.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 11:16:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Local Dunhams sporting goods store has stacks of CCI Suppressor.

Federal Premium web page has American Eagle 45 grain suppressor in stock.

https://www.federalpremium.com/rimfire/american-eagle/american-eagle-rimfire-suppressor/11-AE22SUP1.html
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 11:19:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Personal experience rifle AND pistol my go to is
CCI SV
Norma TAC-22
Geco Rifle
Geco Match
All subsonic

I bought numerous cases of Aguila SV few years ago. Supersonic in my rifle. Little extra oomph works great in pistol.

Armscor SV also super in rifle.

Various HV not supersonic in pistol. Not as quiet as SV nonetheless. I no longer buy HV in any flavor.

Almost any true target/match grade ammo is sub in a rifle, but I'm more of a bulk buyer.
In today's market I'm finding TAC-22 cheaper than CCI SV. I find nothing to recommend one over the other. I'm buying Norma.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 11:49:41 PM EDT
[#13]
CCI Standard user here
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 12:01:22 AM EDT
[#14]
In my bolt gun Basically any “match or standard” load is loaded subsonic. I usually shoot cci standard, fgmm, and geco
In my mk 4 and semi auto rifles I like federal 45gr subs.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 11:04:03 PM EDT
[#15]
I bought some aguila 40gr subsonic locally about 2 years ago gor my 10/22 and TX 22

I havent seen it locally since but its quite

my 10/22 with aac prodigy

10/22 and AAC prodigy in my yard

and heres my ruger prs with my sparrow using cci standard a few weeks ago

silencerco sparrow and my ruger .22lr PRS in my private range behind my house

and i like to try when i have a few minutes to hit  a 8" plate at 100 with my tx22 comp using 22lr cci standard and with the sparrow

[youtube]shorts/lFXq88jzmVw?feature=share[/youtube]

But id love to find some winchester M22 subsonic

been 2 yrs

https://winchester.com/Products/Ammunition/Rimfire/M22-Subsonic/S22LRTSUP

if i were you id just buy some CCI standard direct and even though its a 10 box limit get something else so you get up to the free shipping amount

https://www.cci-ammunition.com/rimfire/cci/standard_velocity/6-35.html

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top