Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2018 1:57:28 AM EDT
I’m looking to pick up a “cheap” deer rifle so that I can take my daughter on a few deer hunts this fall.

I’ve fallen on some tough times the last couple years (not whining, it just is what it is).  Lost my deer lease, had to sell my deer guns, ATV, etc.

We’ve been out of the game for a few years, but my daughter is really wanting to get back out there and fill the freezer.  She has a Savage Axis she loves, but I currently have nothing in the way of a deer rifle.

I owned a Remington 783 in 7mm Mag which I was happy with, but sadly had to sell it.

I’m looking at the Compass, Patriot, or another 783, probably in .308 or .30/06.  I don’t like the Axis myself, even though my daughter loves hers.  I know most people recommend the Ruger American, but I could never warm up to it.  I really like the Compass’ price and 3-position safety, but I’ve seen so-so reviews on the accuracy and horrid cheapness of the stock (apparently below low quality expected for a value gun).  I know Remington gets a lot of heat here, but my 783 was a good shooter and seemed to be well-made overall.

I’d just like to hear some feedback on the cheaper class of deer rifles. I wish I could buy better, but it’s just not in the cards this year.  Other than clothes, I’m essentially at square one.

Your input is appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 2:03:38 AM EDT
[#1]
If you can’t be talked into the Ruger, then a mossberg patriot would be my next recommendation.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 2:10:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you can’t be talked into the Ruger, then a mossberg patriot would be my next recommendation.
View Quote
I’ve handled more than one, and the stock was touching the barrel on one side on every one I looked at.  That could be just the examples I’ve seen.  They just seemed overly rough to me.  Not expecting a custom-grade Model 70, but I didn’t get the warm and fuzzies on the American.  I do know people seem to really like them.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 5:43:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Thompson center is worth a look.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 6:12:59 AM EDT
[#4]
After Marlin was bought by the Cerbus group, they discontinued the Marlin X7 series to not compete with Remington's cheap rifles.  Remington modified the Marlin which uses the Savage 110 barrel nut as the 783.  My preference would be with the Remington in a long action 06' case and rebarrel to 9.3x62

CD
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 11:05:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd buy a used Rem 700 ADL, Savage 10, Ruger 77 or Win 70 over any of those entry level  El Cheapo Rifles.

Look around at used rifles, good deals can be found .
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 12:19:32 PM EDT
[#6]
A lot of rifles in that class seem to have rather flimsy forends.

If you don't mind adding weight, they're pretty easily reinforced (and the bbl freefloated) w/ some steel rods & 2-part epoxy.

The Axis 2 has the Savage AccuTrigger the Axis lacks, albeit a Timney is available for the Axis.

If you're willing to go w/ .223, you can build an AR right now for $290 before shipping:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/2047298_-290-AR-thread-for-Spring-.html
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 12:21:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I’ve handled more than one, and the stock was touching the barrel on one side on every one I looked at.  That could be just the examples I’ve seen.  They just seemed overly rough to me.  Not expecting a custom-grade Model 70, but I didn’t get the warm and fuzzies on the American.  I do know people seem to really like them.
View Quote
Modify or replace the stock. It’s higher quality than the others you mentioned.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 12:22:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Ruger American Rifle is what you seek...they are just plain accurate for the price.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 12:24:58 PM EDT
[#9]
You just missed the Thompson center $75 rebate on the compass. I got one in 6.5 creedmore with a 3-9 vortex for $284. I haven't shot it yet because of the weather here but for less than $300 with a decent piece of glass how bad can it be.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 12:58:38 PM EDT
[#10]
For the past several months I have conducted the same research on this very topic. The short answer is that I researched every budget rifle on the market by all the brands and everything about each rifle from accuracy, reliabilty, consistency, affordability, to include specifics on caliber offerings, quality, trigger pull, etc... I have found that each low budget rifle has a couple of characteristics that I like but none of them has every characteristic combined into one. The only low budget rifle brand that seems to include most features and be the most consistent are the Savage line of rifles. The higher in price you go with savage rifles you tend to find more features.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 1:04:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Axis 2
Ruger
Mossy Patriot
T/C Contender

All would be excellent just find the best deal or pick the one that you like the best. I have an Axis 2 in CM and a mossy Patriot in 243. Both are great shooters. Mags are cheaper on the Patriot. The T/C has a good rebate going right now. I do wish the 243 mossy had faster twist (it's 1:10)  but I would probably buy another CM if I were buying again...

I went back and forth when I was looking for a CM. I was looking at the T/C Vortex package. Then I walked into a Wallyworld and they had the Kryptec Axis 2 with heavy barrel with a $100 rebate. I could not pass. And Savage had just dropped the heavy barrel from the line up. Jewel of a rifle and you can probably still find them at walmart but no rebate now. But as the guy stated above, the budget rifles have their good and bad points.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 3:21:07 PM EDT
[#12]
IMHO....check for a used Pawn Shop gun.   And, also check the local listings.

I picked up this sporterized Mauser 98 in .30-06 just a couple of week back for $225 (add another $20 for the FFL BGC/transfer fees).  Around here, sporterized military rifles are out of favor now a days.  Yup.....IMHO just keep those old military rifles as is.  But, on the other hand.......I don't mind buying a well made, "mistake."

Aloha, Mark

PS.....the rifle came without a scope.  But, the mounting holes were already drilled and it came with weaver mounts.  LOL......the rear mount was the wrong/incorrect one.  Maybe, that is why the rifle was sold off?

The new "correct" rear scope mount was about $6. The scope is a $30 Tasco AO 4-12x 40mm that I picked up at a gunshow.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 8:29:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks everybody.

I’ll check out the Ruger again for sure, maybe it was just the batch I saw.

I’d definitely consider used “better” guns, but the pawn shops around here are mighty proud of their used guns.  It’s almost comical.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 8:30:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You just missed the Thompson center $75 rebate on the compass. I got one in 6.5 creedmore with a 3-9 vortex for $284. I haven't shot it yet because of the weather here but for less than $300 with a decent piece of glass how bad can it be.
View Quote
Yep, hate that I missed it.  For that I would have gotten one.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 11:27:56 AM EDT
[#15]
I’m leaning towards the T/C Compass right now, I’m just terrified I’ll get a bad shooter.

I know it can happen with any brand, but I’ve seen a couple reviews that stated the Compass could be finicky with ammo selection.  Especially in .308, which kind of surprises me.  The Patriot seems to have the same issue - some folks have outstanding accuracy with even the cheapest ammo, some have terrible accuracy with Match Kings.

My expectations are probably too high for the class of rifles I’m looking at, but I still want an accurate rifle.

On reputation alone, the Savage and the Ruger are probably the best models in this class.

Being poor sucks.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 11:34:37 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't think you could go wrong with most of the brand names newer models. I like the looks of the TC Contender. Hate the look of the Axis. So much so I went Ruger instead of savage and have not been disappointed.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 11:42:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Since you live in tenn. how about a nice lever gun . An older Marlin 30 30 or 35 rem.
Or an older Remington 742 auto .
Anything other than a Black Plastic Stocked thing .

I am a long range target shooter and own some very accurate plastic stocked rifles .

For hunting you are not concered with 1 MOA .
I am old school in many things and just think traditional guns are cool . She'd get alot respect with other hunters toting a pre 64 Winchester 94 .

Gary
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 11:49:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I’m leaning towards the T/C Compass right now, I’m just terrified I’ll get a bad shooter.

I know it can happen with any brand, but I’ve seen a couple reviews that stated the Compass could be finicky with ammo selection.  Especially in .308, which kind of surprises me.  The Patriot seems to have the same issue - some folks have outstanding accuracy with even the cheapest ammo, some have terrible accuracy with Match Kings.

My expectations are probably too high for the class of rifles I’m looking at, but I still want an accurate rifle.

On reputation alone, the Savage and the Ruger are probably the best models in this class.

Being poor sucks.
View Quote
The part in bold. Thompson guarantees MOA with match ammo. There are a ton of videos of guys shooting non-match ammo and still getting close to moa out of it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 12:23:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Since you live in tenn. how about a nice lever gun . An older Marlin 30 30 or 35 rem.
Or an older Remington 742 auto .
Anything other than a Black Plastic Stocked thing .

I am a long range target shooter and own some very accurate plastic stocked rifles .

For hunting you are not concered with 1 MOA .
I am old school in many things and just think traditional guns are cool . She'd get alot respect with other hunters toting a pre 64 Winchester 94 .

Gary
View Quote
An old .30-30 is a great option. The Glenfield rifles are store-brand Marlins with cheaper furniture, but are mechanically 100% Marlin. They often sell for less than Marlin-branded Marlins.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 12:45:27 PM EDT
[#20]
I bought a Compass and was very impressed.
Despite the relatively low cost (< $300 with rebates) it shot in the advertised 1 MOA range.

If just looking for deer, consider 6.5CM over .308 or 30-06.  Plenty of energy for deer, but much less recoil for your daughter...
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 2:29:47 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a Ruger American in 308 and it does everything I need it to.

Just about any of the entry level bolt guns will work for you.  There really isn't that much difference in performance.  Find one that fits you, that you like the looks of, or the price tag and go.  You really can't go wrong.

I bought the Ruger simply because my gunsmith had in in stock at a good price.  Another customer ordered it and stiffed him, so I got if for his cost.  I'm sure I would have been just as happy with any of the others.  Except maybe the Axis.  I think those are the ugliest rifle on the market.  I'm sure they shoot just fine.  But the looks are all wrong.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 2:41:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I bought a Compass and was very impressed.
Despite the relatively low cost (< $300 with rebates) it shot in the advertised 1 MOA range.

If just looking for deer, consider 6.5CM over .308 or 30-06.  Plenty of energy for deer, but much less recoil for your daughter...
View Quote
She has her deer gun, I need one.  

Good to know about the Compass.  6.5 is a definite caliber in my future, but I just want something common and really affordable for now.

I’m not exaggerating when I say I had to sell everything but my clothes and boots.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 4:09:14 PM EDT
[#23]
I liked my old 783 better than this new one. I don't like the enclosed action because I can't  load from the top like on the old model and the new removable mags are plastic based and chintzy at best
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 12:27:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I liked my old 783 better than this new one. I don't like the enclosed action because I can't  load from the top like on the old model and the new removable mags are plastic based and chintzy at best
View Quote
Are you talking about the old 788?  The 783 is a totally different rifle, as you stated.

The 788 was a dandy though.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 12:54:52 AM EDT
[#25]
The problem with the TC compass is that they are hit or miss. Cabelas is having a sale right now on the Savage model 12 FV for 369.00.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 2:22:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The problem with the TC compass is that they are hit or miss. Cabelas is having a sale right now on the Savage model 12 FV for 369.00.
View Quote
That 12FV is an awesome rifle. I have one in 6.5CM for long range but I wouldn’t want to carry it around hunting.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 12:23:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That 12FV is an awesome rifle. I have one in 6.5CM for long range but I wouldn’t want to carry it around hunting.
View Quote
I wouldn't want a model 12 as my main hunting rifle but you can find regular savage model 10's in the 400 range.  To me it's the best rifle in the price range.  Just a 100 to 50 more than the other makers budget lines, but a lot cheaper than a ruger 77, xbolt, model 70 etc etc
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 11:28:29 AM EDT
[#28]
SG has T/C Ventures for under $300.

That might be a viable option.

I like the 3-position safety on the Compass better, but the Venture is a pretty nice rifle.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 12:30:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 1:07:41 PM EDT
[#30]
UPDATE:  I have been shopping around and finally came across a Remington 783 Walnut with a 3-9x40 Vortex scope for $299 new in box.  .30/06.

Not a 700 or Winchester 70, but should fit my needs for a couple of years until I can upgrade.  As I mentioned in the first post I had a 783 in 7mm, and was happy with the accuracy and performance.

I did look hard at several value rifles this weekend.  The Compass impressed me a lot for the money.  The stock was cheap but not near as bad as I expected.  Savage’s new Axis II stocks for 2018 are a BIG improvement.  They look much better and don’t feel as cheap.  They look similar to the new Accufit stocks.  They just don’t adjust.  I may end up with one in 6.5 Creedmoor down the road.

My daughter was excited that we’ll be getting back out to the deer woods this year.  I felt like $300 for American black walnut and a Vortex scope wasn’t a bad deal.  Even though it’s an economy gun, the wood stocks look great and the scope is good enough to not have to replace it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 11:21:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I’d definitely consider used “better” guns, but the pawn shops around here are mighty proud of their used guns.  It’s almost comical.
View Quote
If you pay asking price, you are doing it wrong.  They always price higher and have a minimum they will sell for.  I always ask what the cash price is to start the conversation
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 8:34:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

If you pay asking price, you are doing it wrong.  They always price higher and have a minimum they will sell for.  I always ask what the cash price is to start the conversation
View Quote
Oh, I attempt negotiation.  But it’s always the same “I have more than that in it...”

I’ve had plenty of shops turn down cash in hand over a $20-$25 difference on an item priced at $400 or more.  I’ve had them turn down throwing in a $10 box of ammo.

I’ve had some be happy to deal, but many more that wouldn’t budge.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 8:58:11 AM EDT
[#33]
If you did find one used at a pawn shop, you might be able to make a deal.  I recently found a 1967 Remington 700 in 30.06 with a low end Bushnell 6-24x scope on it.  They were asking $385, I made an offer and got it for $340.  Stock has few small dings, but the bore on the barrel was pristine with almost no muzzle wear (I have a gauge).  Only thing I could find wrong with it was the action screws were a little on the loose side.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 3:06:23 PM EDT
[#34]
I spent last fall working at a major firearms retailer. All of the guns listed I was able to have a lot of exposure to.

Ruger American and the Savage Axis is what most people gravitated to. IME the American bolt had more trouble getting hung up when people tried to cycle it quickly. That being said, when the bolt wasn't hung up it seemed to be smoother than the Savage. Overall quality seemed to be a bit better on the Ruger.

T/C Compass has a lot of features but the bolt was very loose at it's most rearward travel, and hung up bad when cycling the bolt quickly. I think some of this has to do with the bolt having three lugs instead of two like on the Savage and Ruger.

Lastly, the 783 was a dog. Typical late Remington manufacturing. I personally saw two out of the box guns break with the customer handling it. Surface rust all over the barrels, too. Damned embarrassing.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 3:22:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Right now Palmetto has 700 ADLs, with a scope (albeit a crappy one), for $359.  Hell of a deal, and you can always upgrade it later.

This or a savage model 11/111 packaged with a bushnell DOA or Nikon is a good kit.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 5:32:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Have had 2-3 friends who have bought the Axis all in 243 and they say they are great guns for the money, surprisingly accurate for a rifle of that cost.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 6:08:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Get an M1 Garand and be done with it.   Use 5-rd 'hunting' clips for, .... ah, hunting.  

You know you want one. Get an M1 while you can.

You can thank me later.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 6:18:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 10:33:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Right now Palmetto has 700 ADLs, with a scope (albeit a crappy one), for $359.  Hell of a deal, and you can always upgrade it later.

This or a savage model 11/111 packaged with a bushnell DOA or Nikon is a good kit.
View Quote
I bought one of those $350 Remington 308 ADL rifles a few years ago.  Definitely a good buy for the money, and you can always upgrade it later.  I've had mine for several years, I've upgraded my stock, trigger, and scope since I've had it.  It's a sub moa shooter if I do my part.

Quoted:
Have had 2-3 friends who have bought the Axis all in 243 and they say they are great guns for thehhi money, surprisingly accurate for a rifle of that cost.
View Quote
I'm hearing good things about the Axis rifles.  Be a good deer rifle, and could be a fun little project.  If you get one in 243 or 6.5 creedmore, it could do double duty for some mid to long range target shooting.

Quoted:
Get an M1 Garand and be done with it.   Use 5-rd 'hunting' clips for, .... ah, hunting.  

You know you want one. Get an M1 while you can.

You can thank me later.
View Quote
This is so true!  If you don't have (or two), you need an M1 Garand.  Great Rifles and a great piece of history.  I have 1, been buying parts for a 2nd.  Would love an IHC Garand.  Had a custom M1A built for me with a forged receiver and surplus Winchester parts, now in the process of building my own 1903A3.  US Military Rifles are addicting!
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 1:08:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Ruger American Rifle is what you seek...they are just plain accurate for the price.
View Quote
Agree, I have one in predator 308 form and it shoots superbly!
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 10:03:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Great deal on the ADLs.  I may pick one up in the next couple of months.  I’d like to have a 7mm or .300 at some point.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 11:53:25 PM EDT
[#42]
I think you would dollars agead by avoiding the bottom of the barrel budget rifles and instead looking for a decent used gun. I'd take a well worn, but functional model 70 over any of the rifles you mentioned in the OP.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 11:37:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I think you would dollars agead by avoiding the bottom of the barrel budget rifles and instead looking for a decent used gun. I'd take a well worn, but functional model 70 over any of the rifles you mentioned in the OP.
View Quote
I’ll have a 70 eventually.  For this season I don’t need to go that route, even used.

A model 70 Sporter or 700 BDL will be in my safe at some point.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 11:23:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I’ll have a 70 eventually.  For this season I don’t need to go that route, even used.

A model 70 Sporter or 700 BDL will be in my safe at some point.
View Quote
Shop pawn shops and pick up an older Rem 700 BDL.  If the bore is not pitted, the crown not dinged and no signs of rust, get it.  Restock with drop in synthetic stock.  You will have  a better rifle than the new stuff and can often find a bargain.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 11:54:15 AM EDT
[#45]
I would avoid the Remingtons mentioned. I would look at Howa and the Savage Axis. Also right now the Weatherby Vanguard is $350 at Walmart on clearance.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 12:27:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:  I would avoid the Remingtons mentioned. I would look at Howa and the Savage Axis. Also right now the Weatherby Vanguard is $350 at Walmart on clearance.
View Quote
Isn't the Vanguard made by Howa?  I don't think the 783 is a bad gun - it doesn't have access to Savage's 60+ bbl library, nor does it feed from standard mags like the Ruger & Mossberg tube receiver offerings.  Does Timney or someone make a trigger for the 783?
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 6:23:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
After Marlin was bought by the Cerbus group, they discontinued the Marlin X7 series to not compete with Remington's cheap rifles.  Remington modified the Marlin which uses the Savage 110 barrel nut as the 783.  My preference would be with the Remington in a long action 06' case and rebarrel to 9.3x62

CD
View Quote
If you can find one of the pre-Cerberus group Marlins I think you'd be pleased. I picked one up a few years back from a guy who was upgrading right about the same price point as the new bottom tier rifles, fully outfitted with a decent scope, sling, etc. They are easily rebarreled with the Savage barrel nut system, have a very nice adjustable trigger (think Accu-Trigger) and are a pretty darn good shooter. There was also a wood stocked option, which is a drastic improvement over the factory synthetic - I've handled the syn model but got the wood one.

It's a shame that Marlin is no longer the same company, those were some awfully good rifles at that price point.

Edit: glad you found something that should work for you, OP.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 6:30:26 PM EDT
[#48]
If you're still in the market, Walmart is blowing out their Axis inventory for $199. There's a 100+ page thread in GD about it. 243 and 308. You can also get Weatherby for $350 I believe in 3006, 270, and others
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 7:02:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
If you're still in the market, Walmart is blowing out their Axis inventory for $199. There's a 100+ page thread in GD about it. 243 and 308. You can also get Weatherby for $350 I believe in 3006, 270, and others
View Quote
They also have their Remington 770 model in .270 on sale for 124 bucks if you can find one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top