Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2024 10:20:09 AM EDT
Just got my stamp back on a Colt AR-15 9mm SP1 conversion.

Has the drilled mag well for roll pins but will be shot as a normal M16, no plans to ever use the 9mm mag block again.

I've seen where it is possible to get the large hole converted to a small hole with bushings or even get them welded up and redrilled to spec.

Any recommendations as to which way to go and experiences with such?  The last guy I knew who was doing this sort of thing was M60Joe and he's retired.  I've seen Gary's Bunker and US Anodizing mentioned in the past.

Also, has anyone done work to allow the use of standard retained front pins?(build up and drill the right side for the retaining pin and spring)

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 1:43:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By okent:
Just got my stamp back on a Colt AR-15 9mm SP1 conversion.

Has the drilled mag well for roll pins but will be shot as a normal M16, no plans to ever use the 9mm mag block again.

I've seen where it is possible to get the large hole converted to a small hole with bushings or even get them welded up and redrilled to spec.

Any recommendations as to which way to go and experiences with such?  The last guy I knew who was doing this sort of thing was M60Joe and he's retired.  I've seen Gary's Bunker and US Anodizing mentioned in the past.

Also, has anyone done work to allow the use of standard retained front pins?(build up and drill the right side for the retaining pin and spring)

Thanks
View Quote
I had this work done on an RR SP1 I had like close to 20yrs ago.
I had John Norrell do it...I later heard Norrell do the aluminum welding for him and that guy passed away.
Before I had it done, I inquired about building the weld up to use a standard front pin and he told me that it wasn't a good idea to subject the receiver to that much heat to do that and told me not to do that.
I heeded his advise and settled just for the small front pin conversion.

I had to use one of these front take down pins.  Which is really annoying as I would always misplace them.

Link Posted: 2/5/2024 1:51:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply Amphibian.  I will appreciate the advice.  I thought about just getting some bushings and gluing them in with loctite.  Wouldn't have to send it off.
Sometimes the simplest option is the best.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 2:14:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Thanks for the reply Amphibian.  I will appreciate the advice.  I thought about just getting some bushings and gluing them in with loctite.  Wouldn't have to send it off.
Sometimes the simplest option is the best.
View Quote
I think the holes are not concentric so I assume you are talking about gluing the actual large to small hole bushings in place.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 2:49:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, I have the .250 push pin and bushings for an SP1 upper receiver and I thought I would just cut them to the correct length and then loctite them in to the upper receiver holes in the correct clocked position.
I have a machine shop and could go through all the gymnastics of turning down some bushings, press fitting them and then drilling to the correct orientation but the other way would be easier and quicker.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 3:00:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 3:35:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Definitely an option but I've got a bunch of uppers I go back and forth from, including some unique uppers I couldn't build like a belt fed 9mm and .22lr.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 5:02:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Definitely an option but I've got a bunch of uppers I go back and forth from, including some unique uppers I couldn't build like a belt fed 9mm and .22lr.
View Quote
Yeah...I was about to say the same thing.  Need adapter for LM7, FM9, Shrike/MCR etc...
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 7:16:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Shrike is on my list, have the FM9 and Lakeside LM7
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 8:13:50 PM EDT
[#9]
M60 Joe did the small pin conversion on my SP-1 RR years ago. It’s works with every upper I have - .223, 300 BLK, .22LR, etc.  Don’t spend thousands on large pin uppers.  Send your RR to Gary’s Bunker for the conversion. You can use KNS pins. Swapping uppers is a non issue and in my opinion will increase the value of your RR.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 9:14:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Shrike is on my list, have the FM9 and Lakeside LM7
View Quote
If you haven't seen my posts on  it, I recommend the Maxim RDB for the FM9
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top