Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2017 9:55:12 PM EDT
Is it same as a ar15 barrel? Is there minor differences, I would like to replace the m4 barrel with a lighter barrel and put the put the gas block and qd mount on from my oem barrel.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 1:06:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Is it same as a ar15 barrel? Is there minor differences, I would like to replace the m4 barrel with a lighter barrel and put the put the gas block and qd mount on from my oem barrel.
View Quote

No the barrels are not the same.  Gas port is smaller on the ACR you would need to do some tweasking to make it work.   ADCO or Marvin Pitts can turn down your barrel.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:15:07 PM EDT
[#2]
That's what I thought, I'm wondering if I can get a barrel that isn't been drilled for the gas port. I'm probably going to turned down and get the oem barrel fluted.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:32:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Also, the new 14.5" and 10.5" barrel kits are a thinner straight profile without the M203 notch. The new production 16" barrels are still the M4 profile with the M203 notch, though they're now made with a more normal 1/7 twist. As said above, while it's an M4 profile, it's not the same.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:15:18 PM EDT
[#4]
A gunsmith with ACR experience can convert most AR barrels with a carbine or midlegth gas system for use on the ACR with your piston (although the piston will need to be modified for a carbine gas system). It requires redrilling the gas port, turning a notch for the pistol guide, and drilling pin holes for the gas block, so it's not something most people can do themselves. 

Member bigdog200399 does a lot of work on the ACR and can convert barrels. 

Marvin Pitts is another gunsmith that does ACR barrel conversions, but I don't know what his backlog is these days. 
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 3:50:21 PM EDT
[#5]
There's a science to it.  They don't usually use factory AR15 barrels without mods but once in a while you get lucky.  Out of every barrel I've done, I've only had one 300blk that was almost good out of the box. All of the other ones required significant work and/or tuning
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top