Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2020 8:31:38 PM EDT
So I still have not decided on an optic yet.  I glanced at pictures of acogs on any M1A and they all seemed really high with the need for a cheek riser or different stocks.  I came across this picture the other day and it looks like the optic is very low compared to others and might work well.  Thoughts?
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 8:41:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Will that work with the usual short eye relief of an ACOG (3 in max?)
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 8:46:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Will that work with the usual short eye relief of an ACOG (3 in max?)
View Quote

I’m not sure.  That’s why I asked, I’m not versed in M1A’s or ACOGs
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 11:50:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I’m not sure.  That’s why I asked, I’m not versed in M1A’s or ACOGs
View Quote

Most ACOGs are under 2 in. The 3x30s supposedly have the best, about 3 in. 3x24s have about the same (looks like one of those in the picture).

I've only seen forward mounts like that using a red dot (Black Hawk down has the famous scene with Shugart using one), but the scout scopes with very long eye relief should work.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 1:52:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Having spent years with an ACOG, I'd be highly surprised if that worked.
I have always had to set my ACOG so taht the rear lens is over top of the BUIS on an M4 in order to get proper eye relief.
Admitedly I'm not familiar with the model pictured, but I doubt it works there.
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 5:16:50 PM EDT
[#5]
This is what I ended up with.  I have not zeroed it yet but it seems like it’s going to work well.

Link Posted: 8/23/2020 8:12:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Good choice I love my Socom with my T1 micro
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 12:04:13 AM EDT
[#7]

What mount is that? Pretty smart keeping the optic off the rail.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 4:56:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What mount is that? Pretty smart keeping the optic off the rail.
View Quote

Ditto, I need that mount.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 8:01:46 AM EDT
[#9]
It’s this mount.  I mounted the MRO on it backwards.  I had to remove just a bit of material so it would mount that way but not much.  It worked out perfect since it isn’t right on the rail and it’s closer to my eye.  I’ll get a better picture of where I had to remove that bit of material when I get home.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 11:28:37 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a full size M1a and the ACOG short eye relief is possible but very doubtful that far up. Some of the ACOGs have a more forgiving eye relief but I doubt any would work that far up.

I have to also say it is very uncomfortable, even with an adjustable stock. In the military, I recall seeing some folks with ACOGs on their M14s because they were given to them without a scope. Once the scope came, they would remove the acog and put the new scope on it.

I would advise you to find a more appropriate scope.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 1:35:20 PM EDT
[#11]
A sad note though that some of the best acog mounts are no longer made or very expensive. The best acog mount is the gdi brand that lets you mount an acog and keep the iron sights useable. The mount was 900 but they had a surplus overrun that’s sold out.

Then there are the mounts that you can call to order from a certain company (I think smith enterprises). I don’t remember the name but you called them and tell them you want to order the special acog rails for socom that you reverse and they’d send you one for a fairly reasonable price. Once they ran out they stopped selling it.

Sage had these reversible mounts too. I called them and they told me at the time 2015 or so that they no longer had it and they couldn’t guarantee shipment on orders because they had to fulfill a government contract.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 8:48:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
A sad note though that some of the best acog mounts are no longer made or very expensive. The best acog mount is the gdi brand that lets you mount an acog and keep the iron sights useable. The mount was 900 but they had a surplus overrun that’s sold out.

Then there are the mounts that you can call to order from a certain company (I think smith enterprises). I don’t remember the name but you called them and tell them you want to order the special acog rails for socom that you reverse and they’d send you one for a fairly reasonable price. Once they ran out they stopped selling it.

Sage had these reversible mounts too. I called them and they told me at the time 2015 or so that they no longer had it and they couldn’t guarantee shipment on orders because they had to fulfill a government contract.
View Quote

What about a Larue LT681?

Link Posted: 8/25/2020 4:16:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So I still have not decided on an optic yet.  I glanced at pictures of acogs on any M1A and they all seemed really high with the need for a cheek riser or different stocks.  I came across this picture the other day and it looks like the optic is very low compared to others and might work well.  Thoughts?
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/485930/AE1C3915-01EA-4C86-A9A7-2560A43B413A-1474098.jpg
View Quote

That scope looks great on that M1A and is totally unusable mounted on the handguard. 1.5" to 2" eye relief scopes don't work in a scout rifle role.

Buy a quality RDS (Aimpoint Pro, Trijicon, etc.) for fast sighting inside 200 yards. Eye relief on them is unlimited. Otherwise you want a EER pistol scope to mount on the rail. 1.5 to 2.5x works great for fast close range snap shooting and precision shots out to 200 yards. Mount it as low as possible for cheek weld reasons.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 4:18:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It’s this mount.  I mounted the MRO on it backwards.  I had to remove just a bit of material so it would mount that way but not much.  It worked out perfect since it isn’t right on the rail and it’s closer to my eye.  I’ll get a better picture of where I had to remove that bit of material when I get home.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/485930/E1CDD2C8-F8E5-40E5-BFE8-EB89C26D8646-1560129.png
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/25/2020 9:19:00 PM EDT
[#15]
That ACOG is too far forward to work.   Shooters serious about scoping an M1A for long range will end up with a metal chassis and stock with adjustable comb.
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 6:35:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That ACOG is too far forward to work.   Shooters serious about scoping an M1A for long range will end up with a metal chassis and stock with adjustable comb.
View Quote

I don’t think that ACOG would be my pick for long range, nor would the SOCOM.
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 10:35:17 AM EDT
[#17]
I see the right answer to this thread has not yet been posted as far as I see. Different ACOGs have different eye relief. Most posters are referring to the 31. The 45 is absolutely doable on an M1A. I’ve done it. On a Sage chassis mounted towards the rear a 45 has full FOV through the optic. The 45 mounts a little high. There are other models that are the same, only in a different mount setup (44 vs 26, for example). I am unsure if such a variant of the 45 exists, and if so, if that is what is depicted.

It was not my favorite setup, and I’ve since went with a RDS, but if one wanted to make their M1A into a sort of scout rifle optic setup, the 45 is how to go about it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 3:11:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Very good chance that is not an acog at all, but a Chinese red dot knockoff of a trijicon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top