Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2020 2:00:48 PM EDT
Wow, new Remington finishes are rust magnets.  I have had older 870's that can get rained on duck hunting and put away wet and still didn't rust by the time I got back to them to clean them up.

Bought a newer one when CDNN had a good deal on them, and just checked on it and it "oranging" on the receiver after just being in a humid environment a couple weeks back.

So I'm thinking I will hit it with Krylon and am trying to decide do I go tan, green, go for some type of camo, or go really outside the box with yellow, or purple, or something else.

Opinions wanted.

EDIT:  Huh, that's weird, I was going to add a poll, but that option doesn't come up on the edit.  I guess that might be a General Discussion thing.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 2:22:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I went with orange furniture with black everything else. Maybe get weird with it Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 2:24:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Same thing happend to mine. So it gave me a reason to paint it haha. Only pic i can find on my phone of the camo i did

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 2:38:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I know I don't want to go orange due to less lethal usually being orange.  

Also deciding if I'm going to take all the furniture off and just do the weapon parts, or if I want to do the whole thing like an AR.  Suckily it was just raining, so it's going to be a couple of days, at least, before I get to do any painting on it.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 3:48:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I rattle canned an 870 for turkey hunting. That was 4 years ago, it still looks fine. No rust. Ugly. Functional.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 5:49:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Just did one of my Benellis this morning. I kind of like how it came out, gun is well over 20 years old and this is about the 6th Krylon job on it

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/23/2020 5:29:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Definitely spray it.  If you don’t want the rattle can camo look,  you could just do the metal with a single uniform color like flat black, FDE or OD Green.

I’m about to paint a LCP slide with Brownell’s Alumahyde flat black because I don’t like the shiny stainless finish but don’t want to rattle can camo this particular gun.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 5:38:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I rattle-canned mine years ago with rust resistant paint, and haven't regretted doing so.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 11:08:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Finally looking at some good weather tomorrow, I'm thinking I'm probably going to go with Krylon green, since I've already got a G17 done in tan, and I'm going to do a G22 as well as the 870.

Link Posted: 4/27/2020 7:13:30 PM EDT
[#9]
If you change your mind to black, appliance enamel is bulletproof especially if you cook it
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 11:42:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Rustoleum Satin spraypaints have held up the best for me in terms of rattlecan finishes.  Surface is glossy and probably adds to its durability.  Doesn't show wear from getting banged up in the safe.

AlumahydeII black , the marks show up fairly easily from moving stuff around in the safe.

Best rust prevention and surface protection from scratches is definitely cerakote in my books, but will cost about $220.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 12:06:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Brownell’s Alumahyde -  holds up well & resistant to some Oil & Solvents.

Aervoe paints are also GREAT for firearms for same reasons.  You pretty much have to use "Aircraft Stripper" (So Hellaciously strong paint remover to get it off)

The Express 870s finish is complete sh!t (it rusts with just a hard look, much less hard use) but the upside is the rough texture gives good adhesion for paint when CLEAN.

Be sure to THOROUGHLY de-grease - strip off ALL oil BEFORE applying paint.

Doing an 870 combo (bird & slug barrel) for my Boy in an AerVoe Olive Drab this week to get him ready for Dove Season & in prep for his first Waterfoul this winter.  Guns get WET and having a good finish to protect them sure helps.. .

AERVOE Paints at Brownells - LINK
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top