Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2024 8:29:37 AM EDT
The AUG is such an iconic rifle, especially with the integrated optic. Why is it so hard to find the factory optics for sale separately? Hell, I would buy a complete rifle with optic if they didn’t cost $1,000 more than a railed model! It seems my only choice is to pay scalper’s prices for an A3 or STG77 optic when they come up for sale or pay $2500 for a complete rifle!

What gives, Steyr?
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:33:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kwisak] [#1]
Cause when they do make them, they sit for awhile. Everyone wants one, until the come in stock, then they sit. Same with the barrels and really most Steyr stuff.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:39:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Its the case of Steyr parts are expensive, so they don't sell. They are expensive, because they don't have the volume of sales to get the cost down. They don't have the volume because of the cost. Its a nasty cycle. But they are obviously making enough money as they have been in the game for a long time. I suspect the US civilian market is decent enough as far as profits, but probably a pain in the butt to deal with. I say that as I'm in sales and deal with luxury items. A military contract is where the money is. So we get the leftovers.

I really like Steyr pistols and rifles. But I'm not paying crazy money for a threaded pistol barrel for my suppressor. Everyone else offers it at a slight cost difference. They even offers a full optic ready setup with suppressor irons and threaded barrel for a reasonable price.

Same with an AUG. I want one, but always find 2 or 3 guns to buy with my $1500-2000. I got an IWI TS12 and Norinco M14 clone (with some US parts) with my last $2k. I don't think I would trade both for an AUG. I know the AUG is an excellent gun and will eventually have one. Maybe when PSA does another blowout.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 7:55:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kwisak:
Cause when they do make them, they sit for awhile. Everyone wants one, until the come in stock, then they sit. Same with the barrels and really most Steyr stuff.
View Quote

Steyr does have an uncanny ability to release its cool stuff when it senses my bank account is at its lowest.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 8:16:48 PM EDT
[#4]
They held back STG77 optics for many months because they weren’t sure if they were going to release more STG77 rifles or not.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 9:00:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Cobaltcrimson] [#5]
Well if they would produce the standard stg77 optic for the A3 without all of the rails for $400, I’ll bet they would sell a few hundred a month. I think the iconic look of the rifles with the original profile would drive sales. You still see the original A1 and USR rifle sell for $3500+ regularly. Releasing 500 units and then stopping production is just fueling artificial inflation. But then, maybe that’s the plan.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 10:49:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Cobaltcrimson:
Well if they would produce the standard stg77 optic for the A3 without all of the rails for $400, I’ll bet they would sell a few hundred a month.
View Quote

I think I paid at least 25+% more than that, and that was several years ago, before the released them in a larger quantity.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 11:26:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Cobaltcrimson] [#7]
Well, if folks can buy an eotech or aimpoint for $500, the factory optic should go for about the same. With the costs of the rifles with optics ranging from $2400-2700 and the rifle without optics ranging from $1700-2000, maybe $500 is a reasonable cost? The only options I find are $700 plus.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top