Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2020 1:14:52 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 1:59:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I could be wrong but I thought the optic / rail on a2 wasn’t bolted on like the a3 m1 but slid on with a flat spring retention device of some sort.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 5:37:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I could be wrong but I thought the optic / rail on a2 wasn’t bolted on like the a3 m1 but slid on with a flat spring retention device of some sort.
View Quote

A roll pin if I’m not mistaken..
Not sure  though
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 6:33:08 PM EDT
[#3]
The A3M1 optics and rails bolt on with screws as you know.  The A2 attachments slide on and off to the rear.  There's a spring loaded button that clicks it into place.  I read that a person shouldn't remove it unnecessarily, lest it begin to get loose.

My finger is pointing at the button.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 6:55:37 PM EDT
[#4]
A2 is a t-slot rail in the receiver, with the spring loaded detent fixing the optic or rail in place. It is a very poor design. I never remove the optic from my USR receiver, as I did so once to install a rail, and then reinstalled the optic. That alone resulted in a bit of play in the optic-receiver interface. The M1 is what the A2 should have been all along.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 7:42:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I found the same thing. I would never remove the scope from my A2 as I was aware of this loosening beforehand, but mine still became loose anyway.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 10:40:43 PM EDT
[#6]
My A3 M1 I bought a few weeks ago. Long rail, it seems to be an integral part of the receiver.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 10:55:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My A3 M1 I bought a few weeks ago. Long rail, it seems to be an integral part of the receiver.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/253119/694268BB-4640-41B4-A00A-0408383CA840_jpe-1754413.JPG
View Quote

Rail is bolted to the receiver from underneath. You can see where the receiver stops and the rail begins near the QD mount at the front.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 11:21:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The more I look at pics of the AUG A2 and USR receivers, the more it looks to my eyes that they are basically the same as the A3 M1 receiver, save for maybe the bolt pattern of actual top rail/optic attachment being slightly different.

@meleante, can you confirm this?  You seem to be our resident AUG expert on the minutiae

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

Lots of good info in here already. I'll add that the raw receiver castings are IDENTICAL between the USR/A2 and the current M1. However, the forgings that were used for the A3 and earlier M1's could also be used to machine USR/A2/SF receivers but I'm not aware of any that were fully machined as Sabre Defence and Vltor did them. I'm only seeing the cast style receivers now in the M1's. Extrapolating from that leads me to believe that Steyr has ended their relationship with Vltor (which was/is planned anyway) and is importing the castings from Europe to finish in Alabama. Or the Canadian forging company providing the 0% receivers is behind or the contract has ended.

I don't have a picture of a raw casting, only the raw 0% forging, but they all emanate from the same general form:

To make an A3, you simply lop the top hump off and machine the grooves for the rail and drill the holes for the bolts.
To make an A2/USR, you keep the top hump and machine in the T slot and add the spring button. Non-USA models have a bolt at the rear which secures everything nice and tight.
To make an M1, you do nearly the same process as the A2/USR except that it is bolted on as in the A3 and a groove, not T slot.
The SF origninally started as an A2 receiver (early SF optics housings fit the A2 receiver), but then they moved to the M1 attachment method many years before the M1 was even a thing...

Link Posted: 12/30/2020 1:16:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The SF origninally started as an A2 receiver (early SF optics housings fit the A2 receiver), but then they moved to the M1 attachment method many years before the M1 was even a thing...

View Quote

Curious, where did you hear this?

Link Posted: 12/30/2020 1:58:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Curious, where did you hear this?

View Quote

I’ve seen it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 2:13:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Since we are talking about the A2 and USR, who sells a rail set up to replace the standard optic so something like a Trigicon can be used?
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 2:38:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I’ve seen it.
View Quote

Are you sure you aren't confusing the STG77 A2 with the AUG A2?
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 9:23:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Since we are talking about the A2 and USR, who sells a rail set up to replace the standard optic so something like a Trigicon can be used?
View Quote

I found one on gunbroker.

It's not the OEM rail but it works fine.

I wasn't able to find any OEM A2 rails.

Link Posted: 12/30/2020 11:36:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most of the one's I have looked at are ''vague'' at best about them including who actually makes it. I really don't want some airsoft POS.

Link Posted: 12/30/2020 12:55:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Are you sure you aren't confusing the STG77 A2 with the AUG A2?
View Quote

There’s no “STG77 A2”. There’s the original STG77 that is virtually the same as an A1, and there’s a newer 40th anniversary gun named the STG77 which uses the M1 receiver.

If your question is asking if I am confusing the 40th anniversary gun with an actual A2, then no.

What I wrote is accurate.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 1:10:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Most of the one's I have looked at are ''vague'' at best about them including who actually makes it. I really don't want some airsoft POS.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some years ago there was a guy in the Phoenix area or Tucson area who ran into this same problem. Luckily for him, he owns a machine shop and made a bunch of the same A2 rail. What was leftover he put up on gunbroker - which is how I got in contact with him. Unfortunately I no longer have his information and would like to buy his rail... the design was great. Full picatinny rail, commercial A3 height, and a tighter fit.

Mr Arizona machine shop man, are you out there? We have a missed connection!

Interestingly enough Hahn Precision (another Arizona machine shop) must like the AUG a lot too because he made 100 all metal barrel takedown buttons. I bought a couple and they’re pretty nice. But alas this is not the same shop as the A2 rails...
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 1:57:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

There’s no “STG77 A2”. There’s the original STG77 that is virtually the same as an A1, and there’s a newer 40th anniversary gun named the STG77 which uses the M1 receiver.

If your question is asking if I am confusing the 40th anniversary gun with an actual A2, then no.

What I wrote is accurate.
View Quote

You are mistaken. The STG77 A2 Kommado was adopted by the Bundesheer in 2007 to replace the the original STG77 A1. The AUG A3 SF was the direct result of the Bundesheer collaborating with Steyr with the original AUG A3 in 2005. The AUG A3 SF is simply the export version of the STG77 A2 Kommando.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 3:53:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 3:57:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Rail is bolted to the receiver from underneath. You can see where the receiver stops and the rail begins near the QD mount at the front.
View Quote

Gotcha. I haven’t bothered to look but it makes sense for the different rail lengths.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 4:04:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 4:30:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You are mistaken. The STG77 A2 Kommado was adopted by the Bundesheer in 2007 to replace the the original STG77 A1. The AUG A3 SF was the direct result of the Bundesheer collaborating with Steyr with the original AUG A3 in 2005. The AUG A3 SF is simply the export version of the STG77 A2 Kommando.
View Quote

Ok sure. An SF is an SF, but nomenclature is not what this tangent is about. It's about the receiver and the optic housing that the SF originated from. As I already mentioned, the SF was originally based on the A2 receiver. Also as I responded to your earlier question, I have firsthand knowledge (and can post pictures if that makes you feel better...) that the very early SF optic housing only attaches to the A2 receiver. Very shortly thereafter it was changed to a bolt on design (which most closely conforms to our current M1, even though it was years ahead of the M1) that I can only assume is how 99% of all SF guns are configured.

Returning to your original question yesterday, given your attention to precise nomenclature, then I keep my response and add that, "No. No, I am not confusing the 'stg77 A2' with the 'A2'".
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 5:01:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
@Mr_Barlow

@meleante

Just to be clear, despite the STG77 vs. AUG nomenclature, is this possibly jsut an issue of names vs. actual reciever types, i.e. AUG A1, A2, A3, A3 M1 (The STG77 40th anniversary just being an M3 A1 "dress up" in color and scope sans rails) do not necessarily line up with the STG77, STG77 A2, etc.  in regards to how the top rail is cut to receiver an optic or top rail?  

The only real difference between the STG77 (full auto AUG ) and the AUG (semi auto AUG)  ((and assuming I am using that naming terminology right, which I may not be, but that can be clarified if I have it wrong ) assuming that is how the nomenclature works is the width of the locking piece cut on the receiver with full auto guns having a wider slot and locking piece than semis (and the obvious denial ribs in the semi stocks to prevent insertion of a full auto pack)

Maybe a chart listing the different model designations and receiver configurations is in order to help clear it up and as a resource to those who do not know all the models.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

I would agree that there is an issue of designating names of a particular model of firearm vs actual receivers. Steyr only has 5 main receivers with another two obscure submachinegun receivers (mid 2000's A3 type without any cooling cuts, and the new Brazilian .40 S&W A3 type with dual A1 charging handles): A1, A2, LMG (Special Receiver), A3, and A3M1 (M1). Even when two people who know what they're talking about are trying to communicate online it can lead to confusion because Steyr has conflated their naming conventions with intermixed nomenclature and designations. It's not straightforward, nor easily intelligible from the outside.

You're sort of right on the physical differences between the factory full auto guns and factory semi auto guns, but once again Steyr has surprises that can trip up this assumption. The LMG is a factory open bolt machine gun that uses the typical semi auto receiver notch width. This leads to the extremely interesting fact that the Special Receiver is an exact dimensional match to the LMG receiver.

A chart would be beneficial. I have some ideas for other things that would be of benefit to AUG owners, but hosting that information would be a challenge for the time being. I'll discuss this offline with you later...
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 5:09:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 5:10:11 PM EDT
[#24]
I never knew there were so many AUG versions/modifications. I can’t wait for the Ven diagram and the photos of all the AUGs.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 5:14:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Source?

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

'40 years of the STG77/Steyr AUG' book released by Steyr a couple years ago.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 5:15:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

@Mr_Barlow

@meleante

Just to be clear, despite the STG77 vs. AUG nomenclature, is this possibly jsut an issue of names vs. actual reciever types, i.e. AUG A1, A2, A3, A3 M1 (The STG77 40th anniversary just being an M3 A1 "dress up" in color and scope sans rails) do not necessarily line up with the STG77, STG77 A2, etc.  in regards to how the top rail is cut to receiver an optic or top rail?  

The only real difference between the STG77 (full auto AUG ) and the AUG (semi auto AUG)  ((and assuming I am using that naming terminology right, which I may not be, but that can be clarified if I have it wrong ) assuming that is how the nomenclature works is the width of the locking piece cut on the receiver with full auto guns having a wider slot and locking piece than semis (and the obvious denial ribs in the semi stocks to prevent insertion of a full auto pack)

Maybe a chart listing the different model designations and receiver configurations is in order to help clear it up and as a resource to those who do not know all the models.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

The best way to look at it is to break down the 3 main tiers of the Steyr AUG:

Tier 1: Austrian military models are always called STG77 (they do not use AUG)

Tier 2: MIL/LE full auto AUG exports for the rest of the world (A1, A2, A3 etc)

Tier 3: Civilian semi auto only (AUG SA, AUG Z)

All 3 tiers share the same receivers but are made semi or full auto depending on who's ordering.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 5:15:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Ok sure. An SF is an SF, but nomenclature is not what this tangent is about. It's about the receiver and the optic housing that the SF originated from. As I already mentioned, the SF was originally based on the A2 receiver. Also as I responded to your earlier question, I have firsthand knowledge (and can post pictures if that makes you feel better...) that the very early SF optic housing only attaches to the A2 receiver. Very shortly thereafter it was changed to a bolt on design (which most closely conforms to our current M1, even though it was years ahead of the M1) that I can only assume is how 99% of all SF guns are configured.

Returning to your original question yesterday, given your attention to precise nomenclature, then I keep my response and add that, "No. No, I am not confusing the 'stg77 A2' with the 'A2'".
View Quote

Please do share your info. I am genuinely interested in seeing this 'AUG A2 SF' you speak of. That's why I asked earlier. We're all here to share knowledge about our favorite firearms. I've seen your posts here for years (I've always lurked in the shadows until recently) so I know you usually have a wealth of info to offer.

To me it makes no sense because the SF model was born out of the Bundesheer's collaboration with Steyr during the AUG A3 development in the early 2000's. The Bundesheer never adopted the AUG A2 in the mid 90's when it came out, and instead stuck with their original STG77's. The AUG A2 with the T rail quick detach optic receiver was mostly limited to export sales for Steyr.  It was never adopted into the STG77 lineage.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 8:20:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
'40 years of the STG77/Steyr AUG' book released by Steyr a couple years ago.
View Quote

Is that in English yet or still German?
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 8:56:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Please do share your info. I am genuinely interested in seeing this 'AUG A2 SF' you speak of. That's why I asked earlier. We're all here to share knowledge about our favorite firearms. I've seen your posts here for years (I've always lurked in the shadows until recently) so I know you usually have a wealth of info to offer.

To me it makes no sense because the SF model was born out of the Bundesheer's collaboration with Steyr during the AUG A3 development in the early 2000's. The Bundesheer never adopted the AUG A2 in the mid 90's when it came out, and instead stuck with their original STG77's. The AUG A2 with the T rail quick detach optic receiver was mostly limited to export sales for Steyr.  It was never adopted into the STG77 lineage.
View Quote

Certainly I spend too much time in GD because I'm overly wary of underscore 2020 accounts and came off too brash, so for that I apologize. I really like my Steyr products, but at this point I'm entirely accepting of the fact that what they do doesn't always make sense. I'll work on getting some detailed pictures and put them here. This is the only privately owned SF configured gun that I know of, which unfortunately isn't mine, and the person who owns it is travelling for the holidays, so it might take a bit... On a positive note, Steyr is supposed to be phasing out the M1/SFO height optic housing in favor of the low SF height. I'm not certain if it is an actual SF housing copy with rails at 9, 12, and 3 o'clock or if it will be an SF height with the 12 and 3 o'clock rail positioning as we have now. A donut reticle may also be coming back too. The 3x SF glass is still a no go due to Kahles unwillingness or inability to sell to the civilian market.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 11:47:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Is that in English yet or still German?
View Quote

German only. I got confirmation from Steyr Austria that there are no plans to publish an english version.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 11:47:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Certainly I spend too much time in GD because I'm overly wary of underscore 2020 accounts and came off too brash, so for that I apologize. I really like my Steyr products, but at this point I'm entirely accepting of the fact that what they do doesn't always make sense. I'll work on getting some detailed pictures and put them here. This is the only privately owned SF configured gun that I know of, which unfortunately isn't mine, and the person who owns it is travelling for the holidays, so it might take a bit... On a positive note, Steyr is supposed to be phasing out the M1/SFO height optic housing in favor of the low SF height. I'm not certain if it is an actual SF housing copy with rails at 9, 12, and 3 o'clock or if it will be an SF height with the 12 and 3 o'clock rail positioning as we have now. A donut reticle may also be coming back too. The 3x SF glass is still a no go due to Kahles unwillingness or inability to sell to the civilian market.
View Quote

No worries. I did get a vibe that maybe you thought like I was trolling you. We've actually talked before over on bullpup forum. You helped me procure one of the spare 40th anniversary receivers. I look forward to the pictures. An AUG A2 with a railed SF style scope? I can honestly say I've never seen or heard of that.

Regarding the lower height scopes for the US, I'm not sure what the latest is. My contact at Steyr US has been suggesting they're on the way for most of this year. I was told they would be getting scopes with the lower height housing and donut only reticle in both 1.5x and 3x. I assumed the virus killed any chance of this happening in 2020, but ironically Steyr US recently got a shipment 3x donut only scopes in the higher height housing. Have you heard anything lately?
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 11:49:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Anecdotes without pics:

I am still new to the AUG. But I liked it well enough that I purchased a couple  of the A3M1 models.

That being said, I worked closely with the Austrian and Irish armies, and also with "armed not necessarily military" elements of both.

Anyway, the AUG rifles in service do not fit into simple, discrete models/list of features.

I encountered a lot of mutant rifles.

It reminded me of US Army rifles with arsenal rebuild stamps.
The receiver says one thing, but the actual rifle is in a completely different configuration.

If there was an AUG.com the clone/retro forums would be just as full.

Not necessarily helpful, just stating that there are a lot of undocumented varieties of the AUG in the wild.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 5:12:35 PM EDT
[#33]
My buddy at Steyr confirmed that Vltor is still doing the receivers for Steyr. They have not transferred that work to Alabama. Maybe the castings are lower cost? ?????
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 7:22:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
My buddy at Steyr confirmed that Vltor is still doing the receivers for Steyr. They have not transferred that work to Alabama. Maybe the castings are lower cost? ?????
View Quote

Thanks for clarifying!  So the one on my new AUG that I asked about in the other thread is still a VLTOR, then.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 1:07:37 AM EDT
[#35]
I got a pic rail on Gunbroker about 6 months ago.  It looks just like the one in the USR owner's manual as an accessory, but I do not know if it is OEM.  It has a logo SW with a D underneath,  and a circular 01 (Year mold?) right under that.  I don't have a photo hosting account but can email pics if you can post them here.   Any volunteer, Maleante?
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 5:50:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I got a pic rail on Gunbroker about 6 months ago.  It looks just like the one in the USR owner's manual as an accessory, but I do not know if it is OEM.  It has a logo SW with a D underneath,  and a circular 01 (Year mold?) right under that.  I don't have a photo hosting account but can email pics if you can post them here.   Any volunteer, Maleante?
View Quote

Postimages.org is free and simple just copy and paste the links here
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 7:47:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Thanks for clarifying!  So the one on my new AUG that I asked about in the other thread is still a VLTOR, then.
View Quote

Yeah, but technically Vltor machined the European made receiver casting. It's really not any different than the Canadian forgings that they used to mill, but now it's a touch lighter and has a truer lineage...
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 7:53:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

@kisara

SWD cast the factory "picatinny" rail for Steyr A2's. They also made the receivers for the A2, USR, STG77 (M1), M1, and the original A2 optic housing and new STG77 (M1) skinny optic housing. It's been mentioned a million times already, but the A2 is finnicky with its attachments and I would not recommend removing and installing the rail or optic, any more than you absolutely have to.

Link Posted: 1/1/2021 10:46:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:16:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Mine is definitely the one on the far right.  Wow, is that the same SWD as the old Cobray "M11/Nine" lineage?  

Thanks for your help Maleante;  You're always a wealth of knowledge here.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 6:28:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Mine is definitely the one on the far right.  Wow, is that the same SWD as the old Cobray "M11/Nine" lineage?
View Quote

No, some European casting/forging outfit.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 11:42:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:47:56 AM EDT
[#43]
What's the current thread pattern on the 16" semi auto muzzles?  I want to put a can mount on the 16" white AUG mag version I have coming.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:27:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Great thread. I appreciate all the background information.

I really need to get an Aug on backorder.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top