Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2020 8:50:51 AM EDT
With the new ATF regulations about  bolt action 50 bmg actions considered a fire arm.
What does that mean to people that have older uppers that don't have s/n  on them? Can they still be sold or traded  as before?
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 8:59:54 AM EDT
[#1]
all these regulations are confusing
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 9:34:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Can you cite the reg(s)?

I thought certain ones were already reclassified years ago, so if this is new I probably haven't seen it.

Typically you'd just keep it and nothing would happen, even if it's a Title I firearm now.
For you it would be like a pre-68 firearm that just happened to be manufactured without a serial.

You're allowed to make your own Title I firearm with no serial (unless your state requires one), so when something like this changes, it's a manufacturer issue, not a consumer issue.

Is it this one?
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/ATF-50-cal-upper-2-768x914.jpg
Doesn't affect you selling it today (other than it's a firearm now, so treat it accordingly)
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 9:37:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 9:53:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I would wager that if someone challenge that in court.  ATF would reverse their decision for the same reason that they drop the Roh 80% lower case.  It opens up a whole can of worms on the AR receiver issue.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 9:00:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would wager that if someone challenge that in court.  ATF would reverse their decision for the same reason that they drop the Roh 80% lower case.  It opens up a whole can of worms on the AR receiver issue.
View Quote

This is probably true, but you have to be willing to risk it all to go after the GOV.  They don't play by the same rules, because they make them up as they go along.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 6:58:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
From what I understand, it's only 2 different upper makers that have received a letter.

Ask the ATF, maybe they can clear it up and if you get an answer, please post it here.

If I had an upper and I wanted to sell it, I would and I wouldn't worry about it. Uppers are still considered a part and parts are parts, no serial number no care!
View Quote

Thanks.  I see that Safety Harbor is one of the manufacturers.  

Anyone know the other manufacturer affected?
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 8:34:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 7:32:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I don’t understand the confusion- I would interpret it as “ If I mail it it must go Ffl to Ffl” now- what’s all this about not being able to sell it? I would sell it like any other firearm.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 8:22:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Can you cite the reg(s)?

I thought certain ones were already reclassified years ago, so if this is new I probably haven't seen it.

Typically you'd just keep it and nothing would happen, even if it's a Title I firearm now.
For you it would be like a pre-68 firearm that just happened to be manufactured without a serial.

You're allowed to make your own Title I firearm with no serial (unless your state requires one), so when something like this changes, it's a manufacturer issue, not a consumer issue.

Is it this one?
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/ATF-50-cal-upper-2-768x914.jpg
Doesn't affect you selling it today (other than it's a firearm now, so treat it accordingly)
View Quote

From the ATF letter.......
"ATF has determined that when two receivers are assembled together into a firearm,
this redesigned firearm contains two firearm receivers."

Man, that is some supercharged retardation right there.

Link Posted: 11/29/2020 10:26:06 PM EDT
[#10]
McCutchen firearms 50bmg has to follow those rules as well. I think all of them have to follow.

However to answer your question, I have no idea.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top