Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2021 10:44:33 PM EDT
I just bought a new AR50A1 that should be here in about a week. Is there anything to do/keep an eye out for on it. I have a few rounds of PMC Bronze ammo on hand but plan to reload for it at some time, I have about 45 years in reloading but no experience with the BMG. Can't wait for the fun to start. The only other fifty I have is a Desert Eagle 50AE.

Steve..........
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:12:37 PM EDT
[#1]
A good bipod and a good carrying case. Got mine from Allied Precision Arms.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 4:11:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:23:23 PM EDT
[#3]
The APA bipod is a must.  Heavy and expensive but great machine work on it.  I also got the rear monopod from APA.  It's a bit large but great for bench shooting.  Considering where you will need to have the cheek rest to operate the bolt, you will probably want extra high mounts for your glass.  The AR-50 was not what I really wanted in the beginning of my 50 days but I have warmed to it quite nicely.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 6:00:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I believe mine is coming with the GG&G BIPOD & ADAPTOR,  it will probably do until I can afford a better one. I appreciate all this advice, keep it coming for this AR50 newbie.

Steve.........
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 4:37:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Just picked up the AR50A1. Man this thing is a beast, almost takes two to carry it. I didn't realize the brake was as big as it is.

Steve...........

Link Posted: 5/19/2021 4:40:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 9:39:51 PM EDT
[#7]
You'll really appreciate that brake when you pull the trigger.
Have fun.
SJC
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 11:11:55 PM EDT
[#8]
The trigger is pretty good for a stock trigger but the trigger itself seems to be a little short and has some sharp edges and corners.

Steve........
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 9:24:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rest it on your shoulder, it balances right around the trigger guard.

Looks good!
View Quote

Good to know I'm not the only one who carries mine that way.

OP the trigger is very easily adjustable. It's just like a Remington 700 and you can probably polish it up with a buffer on a dremel.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 1:25:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Congrats!  You will love the brake and the shielding from MB that it will afford you.  Just a reminder about the bipod..the one you have on there doesn't provide the stability of the APA offering.  If that rifle falls over on the bench, and they have with that setup, the weight of the rifle will destroy your glass, mounts and maybe even your rail. Be very mindful of what you shoot in her milsurp can be dangerous even if it looks okay.  I only roll my own in a caliber that has a bolt than can kill you in an instant. Congrats again and welcome to the club.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 8:08:29 PM EDT
[#11]
chargerkid5

The adjustment on the trigger is fine but I will have to take my Dremel tool to the end and side of the 'blade' itself to smooth some of the edges.

I shot a few rounds in the back yard this afternoon, I put on a set of rings and a Nikon 3x9 scope (bore sighted) just shoot it, if it tears the scope apart it won't worry me too much. I am looking at a 30mm tube Vortex 6-24 x 50. This thing is a sweetheart to shoot, my Wife's Tikka T3 Lite in 7-08 kicks more than it does.

I cut on a brand new gun so I could use medium rings, looks like Armalite would have done this from the beginning.

Last thing I need to get to reload is a set of dies, are the Lee dies ok or do I need to cough up double the money and get RCBS or Hornady? I will not be doing any competition just informal target shooting.

Steve...........
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 10:20:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 10:44:48 PM EDT
[#13]
I've had a Lee Classic Cast Press for several years, had my RCBS Piggyback II on it for years until I got my Hornady LNL AP. My Lee uses the 50 BMG 1 1/4x12 Large Series Lee Dies. I am inclined to get a set of those as I won't be going for absolute long range accuracy.
I noticed on some rifles that the brake has a lot of screw heads on them, is that an early brake. Mine is cast steel in one piece.

I do like your bipod. I just ordered the Lee die set.

Steve.........
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 7:39:43 PM EDT
[#14]
The lee press will do you fine.
Buy a couple of cans of hot shot lube and give the cases a good spray down before resizing.
Also clean out the necks with a 1/2" plumbers brush beforehand, as the necks might have some sealant in them.
After depriming, you might need to chamfer the primer pockets, if the primers were crimped.
Look at getting the Ergo grip, much easier on the hand.
Grip
3x9 will be ok for load testing and plinking.
Scopes tend to last a lot longer on the AR50, due to it's lack of recoil.
I have one out of the first run of left hand AR50's and my rifle came with a one piece brake, no screws.
Welcome to the club.

SJC
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 9:31:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 12:35:08 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a tin of Imperial and am planing on using that.

Steve.........
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 11:46:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've had a Lee Classic Cast Press for several years, had my RCBS Piggyback II on it for years until I got my Hornady LNL AP. My Lee uses the 50 BMG 1 1/4x12 Large Series Lee Dies. I am inclined to get a set of those as I won't be going for absolute long range accuracy.
I noticed on some rifles that the brake has a lot of screw heads on them, is that an early brake. Mine is cast steel in one piece.

I do like your bipod. I just ordered the Lee die set.

Steve.........
View Quote

Steve;

If you plan on loading any milsurp, you will need to get the Lee .510 sizing die.  Just run them through a bunch of times to get them back in shape from the damage sustained by mechanical pulling.  I find it preferable to sizing on the bench as opposed to sizing at 2,700 fps.  Avery light coat of imperial on the projo will help. If you are looking for a softsided case, there is ONE that will fit the entire rifle and zip closed without the brake or butt stock hanging out.  I found it on Amazon or Ebay but cant remember anything else on it.  No markings or tags on the case.  If I can find the receipt, I'll post the info.  IIRC, it was about $200 and available in OD green and black.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 3:26:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 4:56:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 5:46:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Good deal, I have it on order as well as an 8 lb jug of WC860, and some M33 ball bullets for reloading, also dies, priming tool, case trimmer and CCI 35 primers. Probably some things I have forgotten about.
I'll probably be asking some more questions when all the stuff gets here. The little I have shot it already has made me love it, I started to get one of the single shot barrets but I actually like the looks of the AR50 better. I'm an Armalite fan anyway, I already have an AR10 A2.

Steve..........
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 5:53:34 PM EDT
[#21]
One other thing. The primer pockets. LC and most mil brass is all crimped primers. So you have to ream the primer pockets. For me that was the trickiest part, getting the primer pockets just right so I didn't have crushed ruined primers, or high primers. Have fun, it's a adventure and a trip.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 7:11:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 8:09:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 11:06:19 PM EDT
[#24]
That is a cool set of tools, I might be interested in the cleaning rod. PM me the info if you want.

Steve.........
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top